PRIMOVA - MIDX-10 Roland/Boss compatible 5-pin to USB converter (GP-10 etc.)

Started by CodeSmart, July 30, 2015, 06:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchad

Quote from: gumtown on August 05, 2015, 07:52:22 PM
This will also be great to use with other Boss USB only devices..
GT-001
ME-25
ME-80
BR-80

GT-001 can now be a genuine alternative to the GT-100 in a live scenario. A little pedalboard with a GT-001 and a smallish midi foot controller for patch access. Nice. I just hope Boss keeps supporting these units with updates.

CodeSmart

I don't have GT-001. If you're on my list for a MIDX-10 and have a GT-001, please let me know.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

thebrushwithin

CodeSmart

Quote from: thebrushwithin on August 17, 2015, 08:55:53 AM
Robert, what is the height of the MIDX10? Thanks!
Enclosure height is 32mm. I also put on adhesive rubber feets 2-3mm. So total height is 35mm = 1.38 inch.

As most of the components will arrive this week, I also hope to get the production of PCB's started by the end of the week. Also waiting for the Aluminum enclosures to show up.

batman

Would you consider shipping the units with the rubber feet not attached?  That way those of us who are going to velcro them to boards don't have to pry them off...
Not that much effort for those who want them attached ;)

CodeSmart

thebrushwithin

Another question, Robert. If my foot controller sends midi out on channel 1 and 2, will the PC messages be sent separately? Example: midi out of foot controller to usb(channel 1), and channel 2 to 5pin midi out? Or do I still need to use my midi merge box, before the MDX10? Thanks!

sixeight

I assume all midi message including sysex will be forwarded. Am I correct?

CodeSmart

To answer both of your questions. This unit does not care what goes through it as long as it's MIDI data. It does not add, merge or remove any MIDI bytes.

Elantric

QuoteIt does not add, merge

Although it would be worthwhile if it did perform a MIDI Merge function - but I realize this may not be possible.

Most Roland gear lately lacks this ability which means that users seeking to use a third party MIDI foot controller to control their whole guitar rig typically must budget a separate MIDI Merge box - because the Roland/Boss gear does not echo MIDI messages received at their MIDI input to their MIDI Output. Prevents using the Roland/Boss gear in a daisy chained MIDI Control network   

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on August 18, 2015, 10:15:04 AM
Although it would be worthwhile if it did perform a MIDI Merge function - but I realize this may not be possible.

Most Roland gear lately lacks this ability which means that users seeking to use a third party MIDI foot controller to control their whole guitar rig typically must budget a separate MIDI Merge box - because the Roland/Boss gear does not echo MIDI messages received at their MIDI input to their MIDI Output. Prevents using the Roland/Boss gear in a daisy chained MIDI Control network

I haven't made the PCB board or enclosures yet so everything is possible. However I'm not sure I fully understand the request.

Elantric and Thebrushwithin, are you saying this:
Add an external switch to the box. The switch has two states: "Normal" and "Merge". In the "Merge" mode any 5-pin MIDI command received on the input 5-Pin MIDI IN connector is sent to GP-10 through USB as well as being echoed out to the output 5-pin MIDI out connector. Any incoming USB MIDI command from the USB connector (GP-10), such as MIDI "play" commands or whatever GP-10 which to send, is also sent to the output 5-pin MIDI OUT out connector.
The procedure of merging GP-10 output and the echoed 5-pin MIDI IN-commands is cleverly designed (and buffered) to complete one full MIDI command from one of the sources before the second source is let in, i.e. they don't interfere with each other logically in the output MIDI stream.

Is this what you guys try to say to me?

Elantric

"Add an external switch to the box. The switch has two states: "Normal" and "Merge". In the "Merge" mode any 5-pin MIDI command received on the input 5-Pin MIDI IN connector is sent to GP-10 through USB as well as being echoed out to the output 5-pin MIDI out connector."

Is this what you guys try to say to me?

Exactly!

Jim Williams

QuoteAdd an external switch to the box. The switch has two states: "Normal" and "Merge". In the "Merge" mode any 5-pin MIDI command received on the input 5-Pin MIDI IN connector is sent to GP-10 through USB as well as being echoed out to the output 5-pin MIDI out connector. Any incoming USB MIDI command from the USB connector (GP-10), such as MIDI "play" commands or whatever GP-10 which to send, is also sent to the output 5-pin MIDI OUT out connector.
The procedure of merging GP-10 output and the echoed 5-pin MIDI IN-commands is cleverly designed (and buffered) to complete one full MIDI command from one of the sources before the second source is let in, i.e. they don't interfere with each other logically in the output MIDI stream.

+1 That would be so cool!

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

thebrushwithin

In my case, my FCB 1010 has the top row and one exp pedal sending on midi channel 2, which goes to my GR30, 5 pin midi in, and the bottom row of pedals, and one exp pedal would send on midi channel 1, to the GP10, via USB. I have a small midiman 2x2 midi merge box, but if I don't need it, that would be less real estate, on a pedalboard. Just curious, as it will not affect my purchase.

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on August 18, 2015, 11:29:04 AM
Exactly!

Ok, I add connector to the PCB for a connector and try to implement it in the software. I have free I/O pins. I've already written "clever" MIDI merge code for the GKMX-33 project so it should be possible. If working OK I see two alternative ways of doing it mechanically: Alt A and Alt B

(A) Using circular holes for a Micro push button and a 3mm LED and the Flash the setting between sessions,
or (B) use a Slider switch (however rectangular holes are painful).

What is best from a user standpoint? Give me your vote!!!

gumtown

Quote from: CodeSmart on August 18, 2015, 01:52:31 PM
(however rectangular holes are painful).
I know that pain well.
I'm guessing the merge function would be a set once thing, a user either wants it or not for a rig setup.
Maybe a recessed or pinhole push button?
and the merge status is saved in EEPROM
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

thebrushwithin

Auto merging should not affect any use negatively. So, no switch at all should work.

gumtown

Quote from: thebrushwithin on August 18, 2015, 03:48:03 PM
Auto merging should not affect any use negatively. So, no switch at all should work.
It will cause problems if used in duplex operation, like with Tone Studio.
Be OK if it's used in chained operation with other midi devices down stream.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

thebrushwithin

Okay, I see, I was assuming this was for a live rig, and tone studio would not be in the mix. My Midiman Merge 2x2, is 5 pin midi only, and is auto merge.

Elantric

QuoteWhat is best from a user standpoint? Give me your vote!!!

How about a round hole for a Bat handle mini Toggle Switch?

I much prefer that over a momentary - as it would be difficult to know the current status ("Merge On"  or "Merge Off") using a momentary SW.

vtgearhead

Quote from: CodeSmart on August 18, 2015, 01:52:31 PM
What is best from a user standpoint? Give me your vote!!!

I could live with an internal slide switch, but I can see where many use patterns would need external access.  Of the two ideas you've presented, the push-button appeals to me more in terms of reliability.  But, why not recess it to avoid accidental change of configuration?

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on August 18, 2015, 04:23:31 PM
How about a round hole for a Bat handle mini Toggle Switch?
A bat handle mini toggle switch sticking out may easily be damaged in transportation. I had a issue with the GKMX-42. Need something low profile.

Quote from: Elantric on August 18, 2015, 04:23:31 PM
I much prefer that over a momentary - as it would be difficult to know the current status ("Merge On"  or "Merge Off") using a momentary SW.
Did you not see the additional red LED?

I decide later. Thank you all for the input  :D

CodeSmart

As per request I added a connector for a "Merge" switch and a "Merge LED" to the circuit.

Received all components and verified foot prints etc. and have sent away CAD files for production of a few "first round" prototype boards.
Will make a lot more PCB's when I see  things work as intended. Board size 73x46 mm.

sixeight

It is looking really good.

If you happen to have trouble with the first boards, but they do the midi conversion, I'd be happy with that too. You know I am after the most basic version without connectors, switches or leds.

Keep up the good work.

Jim Williams

Yes this is looking very promising, I can't wait. It is the one thing my pedal board is missing.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.