PRIMOVA - MIDX-10 Roland/Boss compatible 5-pin to USB converter (GP-10 etc.)

Started by CodeSmart, July 30, 2015, 06:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

Based on a $5 Microchip PIC-controller, a highly modified USB-stack has been developed allowing bi-directional MIDI transfer between Non-compliant Roland/BOSS devices such as GP-10, GR-55 and SY-300 as well as USB MIDI Compliant devices.

A schematic for a board with this controller including voltage converters and 5-pin MIDI IN, MIDI OUT connectors and USB Host connector (Type A, same as on PC) was drawn this morning and will be realized on a small PCB asap.

Price for the board /w or /wo enclosure is not determined, however we might be looking at a range between $50-$100.
The first run will be a very limited amount of boards.

To help me estimate how many boards/enclosures to produce, and also to keep track of you, please send me and email if interested.
(If you simply post in one of the threads I probably will loose you)
Email: sound@primova.se

I will update this thread with the progress. Please understand all this is done outside my normal working hours.

This is recorded video shows the controller working with GP-10, GR-55, SY-300 (non-compliant) and EDIROL UM-1X (compliant):
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

GuitarBuilder

"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

CodeSmart

I've taken help by Elantric to review the design and right now it looks like there will also be support for battery operation using 4 x AA batteries.

Fluke

CodeSmart

I did a small survey amongst the guys interested and it looks like most people prefer a rock solid small metal case instead of a plastic case with a battery compartment. So thanks to Elantric's circuit it will support low battery voltage for powering as well as 9-volt "pedalboard style". But the batteries will have to stay outside the box.

I couldn't find a small, good metal case with battery compartment. If you find one, let me know.

batman

Sounds interesting.  Just posting so I can keep abreast of the thread for now.
Will see how it goes for everyone before deciding

maan108

Hallo !

It seem a very good and well done project.

Please , can you post  some  tech. spec. for it ???

Sorry but I dont understand if real midi conversion is for the both way.
I.e. for GP10 it can send note message coming out from GP10 to external 5 pin midi device ? Or it is only to send 5 pin midi device command to Boss/roland usb midi device .

However ...compliment for great job !

Maan108

frummox

Is this intended to do what the other guy's did with a Raspberry Pi? If so definitely interested and will send e-mail. What i want to be able to do is send MIDI from GP-10 to the MIDI in of an older synth.

CodeSmart

Yes this unit replaces the Raspberry Pie. If GP-10 sends something it will be available to you in the output 5-pin MIDI jack of the MIDX-10 box.
Samewise, if you send something to the GP-10 through the MIDI input jack of the MIDX-10 box it will be forwarded to the GP-10.

Think of this box as an extension of the GP-10 with two 5-pin MIDI connectors, just like what is available inside the VG-99, GR-55, SY-300 etc.

There's no setup procedure, no flash card formatting, no firmware donwload, no operating systems, no hokus-pokus, just bubba style plug and play  8)

CodeSmart

MIDX-10 Connection Schematic (in actual size compared to the GP-10 and with color and metallic paint virtually identical to GP-10)
The status LED will show YELLOW when a device is not attached, GREEN when attached and everything is fine or flashing RED in case there's a problem.
The DATA LED's (IN & OUT) will blink GREEN as MIDI traffic is passing through the circuit.
NOTE: Besides pedal board power supplies (9V), the unit may also be powered by batteries (2.5-15V) or using a small Micro USB connector (5V).

To show interest in this rare and unique Microcontroller based Roland/BOSS (GP-10,GR-55,SY-300 etc.) compatible USB MIDI Host,
E-mail sound@primova.se.
As preliminary price, with components, PCB, hand-soldering, testing, paint, screen print etc. we are in the ballpark of USD $110 (may change ).
All work is done by hand and just a few number of units will be produced. 3 year warranty. Money-back guarantee!

There's no intention of providing power adapters, battery packs, USB or MIDI cables showed in the pictures. Those things you will have to find elsewhere.

Close up:

It looks like the board will have the dimensions 72x47mm. Having problems making it smaller if I'm going to be able to hand-solder it.
(Bottom copper not shown). This could be interesting for you DIY guys, wanting it without the enclosure.
Also,  if mounting the separate board in a device with regulated 5V, there's a possibility to feed it directly without using the DC/DC converter.

The PIC chip can be seen in the middle taking a lot of space. It's clocked by an external 16MHz crystal.
The connector at the mid bottom is used for the onetime operation of putting my firmware into the chip.

The USB output current is protected by a PTC resetable fuse and overvoltage protection is governed by schottky diodes.
For the powering according to the data sheet, the DC/DC converter circuit (LT1618) will produce 5V all the way from 1.6V to 18VDC input voltage,
that's really Amazing!!!

It's time to order some components now. I won't do the misstake again of producing boards until I see the components fit the footprints of the data sheets   ::)

CodeSmart

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on August 04, 2015, 10:10:52 AM
That is a great price!!
Yes it is. If someone wants to pay more It's ok with me ;)

I'm brutal with large companies in day time job
but fellow musicians...no way, just want a little for the time spent.

gumtown

This will also be great to use with other Boss USB only devices..
GT-001
ME-25
ME-80
BR-80
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

GuitarBuilder

I think the price is completely reasonable considering the "handwired" construction.  Robert - you're a godsend!  I'm anxiously awaiting with credit card in hand.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

CodeSmart

I've raised 22 hands so far.
Note: There will only be (max) 30 units made in the batch. I have a real job and life to attend to also.
The gate is closing...
E-mail sound@primova.se. That's the only way to get in line for a unit.

stratrat

I don't use a GP-10. But having this device available removes a very big barrier to me getting one.

joaobraga

whippinpost91850

CodeSmart

Status update:
After some further code changes I now confirm that the MIDX-10 is bi-directional. Control the Assigns with MIDI IN, and anything you play with the GP-10 is available at the 5-pin MIDI OUT connector. This allows you to connect any 5-pin MIDI synth for playback. I hope Gundy and the rest of you on the list will have great use of it  :D

Ordered Aluminum enclosures today. Same size and type as used for the robust GKFX-11/21
Have not received all components yet so PCB manufacturing will have to wait until I see all components fitting the intended footprint.

CodeSmart

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on August 07, 2015, 11:32:46 AM
Can't wait
Thanks and sorry you have to. In Sweden we say "I can't do magic with my knees", meaning: Magic can only happen in due time. There's only a few units left if anybody else is interested. Email sound@primova.se

thebrushwithin

;D Excited that I will now be able to comfortably use my GP-10 live, with a midi foot controller, and no makeshift midi box! The quality of your magic boxes are exceptional !!! Thank you Robert!

mchad

Quote from: CodeSmart on August 07, 2015, 01:21:08 PM
Thanks and sorry you have to. In Sweden we say "I can't do magic with my knees", meaning: Magic can only happen in due time. There's only a few units left if anybody else is interested. Email sound@primova.se

Email sent.

CodeSmart

I've been buying components from Reichelt in Germany for a long time. Not the fastest delivery time but good prices. However for my last three orders now, there are components delaying the total delivery significantly, even though at check-out they claim everything is "in stock".

Farnell has excellent delivery times but a bit more expensive.

Not very pleased with Reichelt right now, and will send them complaints.
Bottom line, still missing components for MIDX-10 and GKFX-21  :(