Disaster Area Designs Midi foot controller and USB Host to MIDI

Started by Ringleader, June 04, 2014, 10:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringleader

Disaster Area DMC-2+. This looks really nice and handy.

Elantric

Look promising

We have DIY threads on USB host to MIDI converter too

Details on building your own "USB to "Old School" MIDI interface" with an Arduino Single board computer is here:

http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/interfacing-midi-devices-with-arduino-using-usb-host-shield

and of course there is the Kenton and  iConnectMIDI and iConnectMIDI 4+ that also accomplish USB host to MIDI conversion.

Ringleader

Oh wait it says:

disasterareadesigns
@metalinthenight yes. The converter box should be small enough to stash under your board, and has MIDI in and out. So you could run it as a slave off your DPC master really easily.

Maybe it is not built into the controller itself. It may be a separate box? Or maybe that is just for getting the 5pin midi in and out? What is confusing is the silver usb cable on the controller and the black on on the zoom. Not sure what is in between...

Elantric

What strikes my interest is the Zoom MS-50B being controlled via MIDI over USB.

The old Zoom G3 used to support this with Rev 1.0 firmware, but this "broke" with newer firmware.

The Zoom MS-70CDR does have a usb port  - I will have to test if it accepts MIDI patch change commands  over USB

Too bad the  Zoom MS-100BT lacks a USB port.

and too bad the Boss GP-10 is not USB class compliant! (big Mistake by Roland! boo!)

Ringleader

Quote from: Elantric on June 04, 2014, 10:59:00 AM
What strikes my interest is the Zoom MS-50B being controlled via MIDI over USB.

The old Zoom G3 used to support this with Rev 1.0 firmware, but this "broke" with newer firmware.

The Zoom MS-70CDR does have a usb port  - I will have to test if it accepts MIDI patch change commands  over USB

Too bad the  Zoom MS-100BT lacks a USB port.

and too bad the Boss GP-10 is not USB class compliant! (big Mistake by Roland! boo!)

Totally agree! But my zoom G3 v2 still accepted program change messages over USB. And my MS-50G does as well.

Elantric

The Zoom docs never mention this function  - hopefully I'm wrong! because it all broke with recent firmware AFAIK -

QuoteBut my zoom v2 still accepted program change messages over USB.

"Zoom V2" what? G3, G3X, G5, ???

My Zoom G3  with "V1.00"  firmware does accept MIDI Control over USB

My Zoom G3X "V2"firmware  does NOT accept MIDI  over USB Edit: apparently it does accept external MIDI Patch change commands !

How to use an iPhone/iPad as a MIDI interface for the Zoom G3 effect pedal.

Ringleader

They are undocumented features but with Zoom they give you more than you expect and with Boss you get less than you expect.  :P

Elantric

There are folks who might have differing opinions on that

IMHO the Zoom G5 is crippled because they omitted 5pin MIDI I/O, which makes it useless for controlling or being controlled by other gear.

This is an Area where Roland still shines - but the under age 30 crowd seems to have a supreme misunderstanding of MIDI Automation Control and why its important

Ringleader

Yeah I was just taking a cheap shot at Roland/Boss about your earlier post in this same thread about them not making the GP-10 class-compliant (which I also really wanted). I realize this is a Roland/Boss forum and it was meant to be taken in good humor hence the goofy tongue sticker outer face. No offence intended.  ;)

Ringleader

By the way, the USB host is NOT built into this midi controller. It is a separate box about the size of a TC polytune pedal. Sorry about the false alarm. Still nice to have another kenton/iconnectmidi type of option out there.

Elantric

The Disaster Area Designs "gHOST" USB Host to MIDI converter will be another option to connect your FTP to 5 pin midi gear without a computer, ( the other option being iconnectmidi).

In the past, Disaster Area Designs have released firmware revisions/updates for specific gear to utilize unique functions, and I expect a version of the gHOST may follow for FTP users to utilize patch changes , poly/ mono modes, and/or volume data.

Demo of the new gHOST Converter from Disaster Area Designs.

The gHOST Converter is a compact and robust USB Host interface. The gHOST Converter connects to most class-compliant USB MIDI devices and converts their MIDI input and output to standard 5-pin MIDI.

Features:
Supplies up to 500mA power to USB Device
MIDI input
MIDI output with full software merge / thru
Compact and durable cast-aluminum enclosure
USB Host MIDI interface
USB interface is fully bi-directional

Connect your Zoom MultiStomp, G3, B3, B5 to your existing MIDI controller for expanded switching capability.

Connect your USB-only MIDI controller keyboard to your 5-pin MIDI gear without a computer.

Connect your Fishman Triple Play guitar pickup to your Roland or other MIDI synths.

Elantric

QuoteIn the past, Disaster Area Designs have released firmware revisions/updates for specific gear to utilize unique functions, and I expect a version of the gHOST may follow for FTP users to utilize patch changes , poly/ mono modes, and/or volume data.

If they figure out a way for the  Disaster Area Designs "gHOST" to connect to the Boss GP-10's USB port and add 5pin DIN MIDI I/O , they will sell everyone they can build  !

DisasterArea

Hi, folks - Matthew from Disaster Area Designs here.

Quote from: Elantric on June 10, 2014, 10:01:41 PM
If they figure out a way for the  Disaster Area Designs "gHOST" to connect to the Boss GP-10's USB port and add 5pin DIN MIDI I/O , they will sell everyone they can build  !

If the GP-10 USB MIDI is class-compliant then we can handle this.  Boss has a pretty bad track record for USB stuff but I am hopeful that they have learned their lesson with the GP-10.  I've got a Roland Ready Strat that is just crying out for something better than my GI-10!

mbenigni

QuoteIf the GP-10 USB MIDI is class-compliant then we can handle this.  Boss has a pretty bad track record for USB stuff but I am hopeful that they have learned their lesson with the GP-10.

Uh-oh...   ::)

At this point we can only hope that Roland realizes what a misstep they've made by not being class-compliant, and addresses the matter in a firmware upgrade.  But I don't know if this is even possible given their h/w design.  If it is, it would probably be a considerable development effort, between modifying the firmware and modifying whatever apps talk to that firmware rather than the class-compliant Windows/Mac interfaces.  Sadly, it seems pretty unlikely.

Elantric

QuoteIf the GP-10 USB MIDI is class-compliant then we can handle this. 

Sadly The Boss GP-10 is not USB Class Compliant (bone headed design  by Roland IMHO) - but i will test every possible way to remote control the GP-10 without a computer, But I"m not holding my breath.

Ringleader

Quote from: Elantric on June 11, 2014, 07:30:31 AM
Sadly The Boss GP-10 is not USB Class Compliant (bone headed design  by Roland IMHO) - but i will test every possible way to remote control the GP-10 without a computer, But I"m not holding my breath.

Personally I was more interested in the audio capabilities being class-compliant so I could stream all six audio streams to my iPad. This is what we need. A USB host box that allows installation of drivers for both audio and midi so that any device could be interfaced with anything - all without a laptop. A class-compliant converter so to speak, if this is even possible. There you go Disaster Area. There's your million dollar device. :)

Elantric

QuotePersonally I was more interested in the [Boss GP-10] audio capabilities being class-compliant so I could stream all six audio streams to my iPad. This is what we need.

Sorry - thats not going to be possible with the Boss GP-10.
Myself - I plan on using a MacMini with my GP-10 for live gigs.

DisasterArea

Quote from: Ringleader on June 12, 2014, 10:31:59 AM
Personally I was more interested in the audio capabilities being class-compliant so I could stream all six audio streams to my iPad. This is what we need. A USB host box that allows installation of drivers for both audio and midi so that any device could be interfaced with anything - all without a laptop. A class-compliant converter so to speak, if this is even possible. There you go Disaster Area. There's your million dollar device. :)

Maybe one day, but it would probably take something more involved than we can cram in a pedal right now.  The drivers are almost all written for Windows or Mac OS, and there are a lot of layers between the user and the metal on those systems.  We're almost literally at the hardware level with our controllers and we just can't run big fat binaries like that!

Right now I'm just stoked we could get class-compliant MIDI support in a rugged foot pedal.  That's good enough for the moment.

mbenigni

QuoteMaybe one day, but it would probably take something more involved than we can cram in a pedal right now.  The drivers are almost all written for Windows or Mac OS, and there are a lot of layers between the user and the metal on those systems.  We're almost literally at the hardware level with our controllers and we just can't run big fat binaries like that!

Right now I'm just stoked we could get class-compliant MIDI support in a rugged foot pedal.  That's good enough for the moment.

You'd really be solving the problem in the wrong place anyway.  Microsoft or Roland or whoever would inevitably change a variable at some point down the line and pull the rug out from under you.  Class-compliant MIDI is a good thing and Roland should have gotten on board this generation.  Better to keep the h/w simple.

GuitarBuilder

The latest version is the DMC-4 with gHOST.  Has anyone tried it?
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Elantric

QuoteThe A, B, and C LEDs light to tell you whether those devices are engaged or bypassed. The CLK LED blinks to show you the tempo. The D / LPR LED shows you the state of the D device, but if you've enabled the looper then it will show you the looper state.

If you're recording or overdubbing, the LPR LED blinks. If the looper is playing, the LPR LED will light solid. If the looper is stopped, the LPR LED will be off. Pretty simple, but it also gets you lots of info at a glance.

The (OPTIONAL SIDE MOUNTED EXPRESSION ROLLER)  is global, it is active at all times on the DMC. You can set each patch on your Strymon device to use or not use the expression pedal as you see fit, and using the roller or pedal won't change your saved settings in any way. Load a preset and work the roller all you want, the preset will load as it did originally the next time you call for it.

We send the roller position when you move it. If you don't move it, we never send a value no matter where the roller is parked. It will send the nearest value when you do move it, so it can definitely cause a jump in the controlled parameter.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/dmc-3-xl-gen-3.1715583/

http://www.disasterareaamps.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/DMC-3XL-Gen3-Manual-v1.00i.pdf
http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/dmc-4-gen3#
DMC-4 Gen3

The DMC-4 Gen3 is the next generation compact MIDI controller from Disaster Area.  We've added lots of features, connectivity, and capability, making the DMC-4 Gen3 a next-level upgrade for your pedalboard control needs.

—  What's New in  Gen3  —

New Custom Colors – We've added some new finishes to our standard Black Texture and Ghost White:  Illusion Orange Sparkle, Illusion Green Sparkle, and Illusion Blue Sparkle.

More MIDI Control – Control up to four MIDI devices plus any combination of Disaster Area pedalboard switching systems.  Note that enabling any of the looper modes will disable control for the fourth MIDI device.

Improved LED Indication and Display – We've moved the LEDs to the center of the pedal, putting all of the info you need in one place.  The LEDs now show the bypass / engage status of the individual MIDI devices, the looper state, and the clock or tap tempo rate. The display has also been upgraded, and now features full alphanumeric capability.  Both display and LEDs may be dimmed in the setup menu to suit indoor or outdoor venues.

Built-in SMARTClock – The DMC-4 Gen3 adds in support for sending MIDI Clock or tap tempo to your connected devices, without any additional hardware.  Our innovative MultiJack connector can operate as an expression pedal input, tap tempo footswitch input, MIDI output, or isolated tap tempo output.  The DMC-4 Gen2 can send either a global tempo / BPM for all presets, or a new tempo / BPM for each preset.

Optional gHOST Compatiblity – The DMC-4 Gen3 can control an external USB-MIDI device including the popular Zoom MS-50G, MS-60B, and MS-70CDR using its native USB port.  Connect your USB-MIDI device to the DMC-4 Gen3 USB port through our gHOST adaptor, install the USB HOST firmware, and you're all set!  The DMC-4 Gen3 can power most USB-MIDI devices, but please note that the power supply you're using must be sufficient to power the DMC plus the connected device.  Powering a USB device may require as much as 500mA, so be sure your power supply can handle the load.

Separate Expression and Roller Configuration – hundreds of players all over the world are in love with the expression rollers on their DMC-4 Gen2 controllers.  It's a great way to add expression control without giving up valuable pedalboard real estate, but in the Gen2 the roller and expression input are connected so that you can only use one at a time.  In the Gen3, we've given the roller its own input channel, so that you can assign it independently from the expression input.

MultiJack – we've brought the MultiJack over from the SMARTClock, but we've taught it some new tricks!  Now it can function as an expression pedal input, tap tempo footswitch input, or a second MIDI output by connecting the Disaster Area TRS to MIDI Adaptor Cable.  You can use our TRS Control Cable for Chase Bliss Audio to connect your Tonal Recall, Warped Vinyl or other Chase Bliss pedal for full MIDI control.  Want more?  Flip the DIP switches inside the pedal and the MultiJack can act as an isolated tap tempo output to your non-MIDI gear.  Any of the pedals listed over on the TNT or SMARTClock pages can be controlled by the MultiJack.

MIDI Input and Output – the 5-pin MIDI jack on the DMC-4 operates as a MIDI output, of course, but if you connect the Disaster Area MIDI Y-Cable, you can also send MIDI in to the DMC-4 Gen3.  Want to connect your old DMC Gen2 to your brand new Gen3?  No problem!  How about sending MIDI clock into your chain from a drum machine?  Sure, that'll work.

Easy Firmware Update – no more driver installation, app downloads, or weird Windows errors!  Simply hold the mode button and plug in your DMC, and it shows up on your desktop as a flash drive.  Drag and drop the new firmware over and you're all set!  (Mac folks will have to type three keystrokes, but you can handle that!)  And our new 32-bit processor has more than eight times the available power of the Gen2 family.  We'll be adding support for more devices and more features as you request them!

— What can the DMC-4 Gen3 do for me? —

We're glad you asked!  If you have one MIDI device, the DMC-4 Gen3 can simplify selecting programs, send it expression or tap tempo, or even keep it locked in to a MIDI clock.  We can also control the loop recorder / looper on several popular devices such as the Strymon Timeline, Eventide H9, and Line 6 M9 / M13.

As helpful as the DMC-4 Gen3 is for single device users, it really shines when used with multiple pedals.  Instead of scrolling around on each device to select a program for your next song, the DMC can send simultaneous commands to all of your pedals to select the exact patches you want with a single tap!  Using our Preset Mode, changing sounds on all of your MIDI pedals is as easy as changing the channel on your TV remote.  The DMC-4 Gen3 can control up to four separate devices, or three devices plus a looper.

If you want to change your non-MIDI pedals along with your presets, you can add in one of our DPC-8EZ switching systems.  The DMC-4 Gen3 will seamlessly control the DPC-8EZ, so that one tap will reconfigure your entire pedalboard in milliseconds.

And by adding our new Clock Mode, we've taken pedalboard control to a new level!  You can select your tempo by BPM, or tap in a new tempo any time.  The DMC-4 Gen3 allows for a global tempo that you can tap in at any time, or preset tempos that change along with your MIDI programs.  You can even configure the MultiJack to send taps to your non-MIDI devices with tap tempo inputs.

— Why should I choose the DMC-4 vs. the DMC-3XL? —

The DMC-4 Gen3 shares a lot of DNA with the 3XL – they even run the same firmware code.  But the DMC-4 has an important added feature – the Hot Switch.  The upper-left button on the DMC-4 may be configured by the user to send tap tempo, control the MIDI clock, activate a Favorite preset, turn on the tuner in your MIDI pedals, or even enable latching "freeze" on your reverb pedal.  You can change the assignment of this button easily, and you've even got control over which devices it sends messages to.  Want to only send taps to your delay and not your modulation pedals?  No sweat.

— What do I need to hook all this stuff up? —

You'll need one MIDI cable for each device you want to connect to the DMC-4 Gen3.  MIDI is a communication protocol, and a single MIDI cable is capable of sending data to up to 16 different places on separate MIDI channels.  If you want to connect multiple MIDI devices together, you can generally hook the output of the first device (like the DMC) into the input of the second device, then the output of the second device runs into the input of the third device and so on.

Exceptions to this rule include any device that does not have a MIDI output or thru connector (dead-end device)

Alexander Super Radical and Oblivion
Digitech Whammy 4, 5, DT, Bass Whammy
Pigtronix Infinity
EHX 8-Step Program
Also, some devices that have a MIDI output do not pass incoming MIDI to it – the big offenders here are the Line 6 M5, M9, and M13.

Some devices have a MIDI output / thru but do not reliably pass incoming MIDI data – The Eventide Factor series and H9 are like this.

If you have these problematic devices, you can either place them LAST in your MIDI chain, or you can use a MIDI Thru box such as the Disaster Area PBA-MS which will send full MIDI to three separate devices without daisy-chaining them.

The DMC-4 Gen3 also provides an additional option, by using the Disaster Area TRS to MIDI Adaptor Cable in the MultiJack.  If you're not using the MultiJack for another purpose, this can get you one additional MIDI output for a dead-end device, and it supports an additional daisy-chain.  In this way, you can have two dead-end devices in your setup, each at the end of its own chain.

Want MORE MIDI outputs?  Connect a supported USB MIDI interface to the DMC-4 Gen3's USB port using the gHOST Adaptor and you can connect a third dead-end device or device chain.  We definitely recommend the PBA-MS rather than a USB interface, but the capability is there.

You can use an Empress MIDIBox to connect up to 4 Chase Bliss Audio or Empress devices.  Chase Bliss pedals use the ring terminal on their jack, so you'll need to either purchase your MIDIBox modified to work with Chase Bliss, or you can get our inexpensive TRS Control Cable for Chase Bliss Audio.  If you only have one Chase Bliss or Empress device, you can just connect directly to the MultiJack with the appropriate cable.  Empress use a standard mono cable, Chase Bliss need the TRS Control Cable for Chase Bliss Audio

— Supported MIDI Devices —

Full MIDI Control Support for the following devices:

Strymon:  Timeline, Mobius, BigSky

Eventide:  H9, Space, Timefactor, Modfactor, Pitchfactor

Line 6:  M5, M9, M13

Chase Bliss:  Warped Vinyl, Wombtone, Gravitas, Spectre, Tonal Recall (control up to 4 with an Empress MIDIBox, control a single pedal with our TRS Control Cable for Chase Bliss Audio)

Boss: DD-500 (full support,) SL-20 (clock only)

Electro-Harmonix HOG2

Pigtronix Echolution 2 / Deluxe / Ultra

Alexander:  Super Radical, Oblivion

Panda Audio Future Impact I

Empress:  Reverb, Tremolo 2 (control up to four Empress devices using Empress MIDIBox, control a single pedal with a mono cable connected to the MultiJack)Free The Tone:  Flight Time Delay FT-1Y

Source Audio Neuro Hub / Soundblox Hub:  control up to five One Series or Soundblox 2 series pedals from a single MIDI channel.  Control up to 20 (yes, twenty!) Source Audio pedals with a single DMC Gen3!

General MIDI:  Supports most MIDI devices, sends program changes 0-127 and MIDI CC for tap tempo, expression, and performance switch controls.

— Features and Specs —

Sturdy cast aluminum enclosure
Enclosure Dimensions 4.7″ x 3.7″ x 1.4″
Soft-touch footswitches
Blue LED display with 10 brightness levels
5-pin MIDI port, doubles as MIDI input using the Disaster Area MIDI Y-Cable
9vDC power jack, 80mA max
USB port with USB-MIDI functionality or optional USB Host compatibility
1/4″ jack for expression pedal or tap tempo switch
MultiJack functions as expression pedal input, tap tempo input, tap tempo output, or MIDI output with Disaster Area TRS to MIDI Adaptor Cable, control a single Empress or Chase Bliss device with the appropriate cable.
Assignable "Hot Switch," functions as tap tempo, freeze, tuner, favorite and more.
Optional side roller assignable to expression or looper level

Read DMC Posts at TGP
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?members/disasterarea.13420/

jwhitcomb3

This looks really sweet, and just the ticket for controlling one or more Eventide H9s. Add in Bluetooth MIDI and it would be a killer IOS app controller.