AudioFront - Expression Pedal MIDI Converters (USB / 5 pin MIDI)

Started by Elantric, February 13, 2014, 01:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.midiexpression.com/

Overview

MIDI Expression is a compact class compliant USB MIDI device that allows different types of pedals to interface with your computer. Pedal sensing technology built into the device detects the type of pedal plugged in and automatically adjusts its settings to support it.

Reasons to use MIDI Expression

You want to connect a pedal for use in your DAW or software instrument.
You want to customize the response curve of your expression pedal.
You need a compact expression pedal input for your live performances.
You need an input that can handle a wide range of different pedals.
You want to add a hihat controller to DSP Trigger.
If any of the above apply to you, I recommend spending some time checking out some videos and having a look at the manual to see if MIDI Expression is right for you.
How it Works

MIDI Expression has four built-in configurations or presets--one for expression pedals, one for sustain pedals, one for hihat controllers, and one for footswitches. When you plug-in a pedal, the MIDI Expression detects its type and automatically loads the corresponding configuration. The MIDI Expression Control Application can be used to change a number of settings for each of the configurations including, Chan, CC, response curve, and more. All settings are stored in the device itself for portability.

Purchase

MIDI Expression costs $49 USD and includes free shipping to almost anywhere in the world.

Features

Plays Well With Others

The 1/4 TRS jack in MIDI Expression works with expression pedals, sustain pedals, footswitches, and even Force Sensitive Resistors found in most hihat pedal designs. All this means that MIDI Expression will play well with pretty much whatever pedal you've got.

Pedal Sensing Technology

MIDI Expression has built-in pedal sensing technology that can detect the type of pedal plugged in and reconfigure itself to best support it.

USB Class Compliant

MIDI Expression is class compliant meaning it does not require a driver and is compatible with any operating system that supports USB devices including Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS, and Android 3.0 and above.

Compact Design

One of the design goals for MIDI Expression was to make it as compact as possible. With a diameter of 26.5 mm and a length of 64 mm, MIDI Expression is an ultra portable solution that can easily fit in your pocket.

Total Control

MIDI Expreess Pedal Sensing technology detects the type of pedal plugged in and loads a corresponding preset for that device. However, if the default settings are not suited to your needs, you can use the MIDI Expression Control application to customize the presets. Settings are stored to the MIDI Expression itself, so your settings will not be lost even after unplugging the device.

Not only does the control application allow you to adjust basic settings such as the MIDI channel, CC, it also allows you adjust more advanced settings like the minimum and maximum control values as well as the response curve moving from the min to max.

The control application is currently available for Windows and OSX with an Android and IOS version on the horizon.

mbenigni

Elantric

Elantric

AudioFront USB MIDI Expression pedal adapter

The new 4 input version AUDIOFRONT MIDI EXPRESSION QUATTRO can also work with momentary switches for MIDI CC# control !
User Manual
http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.pdf

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on July 16, 2015, 10:22:55 AM
The new 4 input version AUDIOFRONT MIDI EXPRESSION QUATTRO can also work with momentary switches for MIDI CC# control !

Awesome!

alexmcginness

a start stop pedal for controlling playback of backing tracks on an Ipad maybe?
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

vanceg

Very cool. This is similar, but perhaps a bit more flexible than the one from EOWave
http://www.eowave.com/shop/products.php?prod=645

EOWave USED to make a 16 channel version that also has 5pin MIDI output built in as well as MIDI over USB, so you could connect it to your computer and directly to devices like the VG99 at the same time.  They don't make it any more and it was really expensive ($500). 

I really like the fact that the AudioFront device is so small and has a nice editor.  The EOWave has a very functional editor...but it's a bit clunky looking.

Quote from: Elantric on July 16, 2015, 10:22:55 AM
AudioFront USB MIDI Expression pedal adapter

User Manual
http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.pdf

vanceg

Ordered one of their 4 channel devices.  Will report back when it arrives.

vanceg

I received the Audiofront Quattro recently and have been VERY pleased with it's performance and functionality.  In fact, there should be very little to operating a device like this. After all, it simply converts pedals (pots) or switches to MIDI and sends that information via USB. 
I've tried several different products which perform this task - and I think I like the AudioFront best. 
I love it's small size: It's about as small as a device with 4 x 1/4" inputs and a USB output could be.
It seems to work with every single volume and control pedal I have tried it with.  I can't say this for most other devices (which often require a specific resistance value or taper on the potentiometer used in the volume pedal).  I can hook up any of my (more than 12 different types) of pedals and simply press the "calibrate" button on the AudioFront software, move the pedal from it's low to high position, and the proper calibration is written into the Audiofront Midi Expression device.  super simple.  Likewise, I can easily change the response curve created by the device...so if I have a pedal that has a linear taper pot in it, I can make it feel/behave like an audio taper pot by just adjusting the curve in the software. 
So far, I'm pretty impressed by this device.  I'm going to go grab another one...because, who can have too much control ;-)

Elantric

Updated products from AudioFront

MIDI Expression iO
MIDI Expression iO has 4 inputs, full size MIDI In / Out ports, and a 9V connector for standalone operation and costs $149 USD.

http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

With a diameter of 26.5 mm and a length of 64 mm, MIDI Expression is an ultra portable solution that can easily fit in your pocket.

With a width of 82 mm, a length of 58mm, and a height of 20mm, MIDI Expression Quattro puts a lot of power into a small footprint.   

With 3 inputs on the front and full-size MIDI ports on the back, MIDI Expression iO packs lots of connectivity into a small package.

http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php?action=videos

vanceg

I've now got one of each of the products in their line and really enjoy them. The app for configuring them is excellent and they've worked perfectly with every pedal I've connected to them so far.

amorph

I now have 3 of these MIDI Expression I/O boxes and LOVE them. I have 3 different pedalboards outfitted with them. Super easy to use and/or update. Rock solid reliability. So flexible!
Music director at local church and gigging musician:
Variax JTV-69s, FTP pickups, Line6 Helix, EHX LesterG, MIDI Expression I/O, MacBook Pro w/ GigPerformer VST host, Aspen Pittman Spacestation V.3
http://www.ashleymoore.net
http://www.ashleymoore.com

admin

(Add Raspberry Pi + USB <> MIDI Cable ( USB <> MIDI  )

http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php
MIDI Expression devices are class compliant USB MIDI pedal interfaces. Pedal sensing technology built into each device automatically loads custom presets when various types of pedals are plugged in, allowing them to support a whole range of pedals with zero fuss. This functionality is enhanced by a preset editor application that gives demanding users all the control they need and exposes powerful features like pedal calibration, adjustable expression curves, and advanced processing modes.

admin

MIDI Expression iO

With 4 expression inputs on the front and full-size MIDI ports on the back, the MIDI Expression iO packs lots of connectivity into a small package.
Truly Plug 'n Play
No need to install drivers or mess with settings. MIDI Expression devices offer a complete plug and and play experience right out of the box.
   Pedal sensing technology built into each input detects the type of pedal plugged in and automatically loads a customizable preset to best support it.
   All MIDI Expression devices are class compliant, meaning they do not require installing a driver and are compatible with any operating system that supports USB devices including Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS, and Android 3.0 and above.

Plays Well with Others
Every MIDI Expression input is compatible with expression pedals, sustain pedals, footswitches, and even force sensitive resistors found in most hihat pedal designs. With polarity reversing inputs, MIDI Expression devices boast maximum compatibility with gear from different manufactures.

MIDI Performance
   The design of the MIDI Expression iO follows the MIDI spec, including an optically isolated MIDI In, with support for full length SysEx messages, and running status for optimized performance.
Flexible Routing
The MIDI Expression Control application gives you access to the device's extremely flexible routing, allowing any MIDI source to be either sent over the USB MIDI connection, out the full-size MIDI Out port, or both.   
MIDI Transformer
   While the Transformer is available on all MIDI Expression devices, the MIDI Expression iO's ability to use it to dynamically transform and duplicate MIDI messages from a keyboard connected through its full-size MIDI In makes it perfect for working with multi-timbral instruments.
Standalone Operation
   When powered by a USB charger or a 9V power adapter, the MIDI Expression iO automatically goes into standalone mode. In this mode MIDI from pedals is automatically merged with the MIDI In port and sent out the MIDI out port.
Total Control
While Pedal Sensing technology automatically configures inputs to support the type of pedal that's plugged into them, the default settings might not suit everyone's needs.

Using the optional MIDI Expression Control application, however, you can easily configure basic settings for each pedal type, such as the type of MIDI message being sent and the channel it's being sent on.

The control application also has many advanced features like the ability to calibrate the voltage range of your pedals or tailor the response curves of your expression pedals. It even gives you access to special modes for sustain pedals and footswitches designed to allow users to scroll up and down through patch changes using a single pedal.
Available for Windows, macOS, and iOS.    
Features that let you Do More
MIDI Expression lets you do a lot more with your pedals.
   For sustain pedals and footswitches, MIDI Expression has special modes that use the idea of short and long presses. With these modes you can do things like send out two separate control change messages, or increment and decrement program change messages.
   For expression pedals and hihat controllers, MIDI Expression lets you generate velocity sensitive notes corresponding to how fast you press the pedal--perfect for triggering drum samples.
   Use your pedals to send key commands and access functions inside your favorite applications. Using a momentary switch, you can even send two different key commands with a single pedal.
   MIDI Expression's MIDI Effects Processor allows you to dynamically transform MIDI messages. Use it with a switch type pedal to quicly toggle between different channels.
   Using the Expression Curve, you can fine tune the response curve of your pedals adding more detail and resolution to certain areas of your pedal's travel.
   MIDI Expression is able to process hihat controllers, allowing you to trigger both foot and splash articulations in addition to sending out CC4 position messages.
Parameter Feedback
When using a sustain pedal or footswitch in CC toggle or INC / DEC modes, MIDI Expression monitors its USB MIDI connection and updates its values accordingly. This means that if you are using MIDI Expression to control your DAW, changes you make with the mouse can be sent to the device so that the two are always in sync.
Value Persistence
MIDI Expression devices remember their toggle position or current patch value even after being unplugged, ensuring that your device is always in the exact state as you last left it in.
Snapshot Manager
Built into the MIDI Expression Control application, the Snapshot Manager allows you to load and save entire snapshots of you device's settings with a single click.

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

vanceg

I still LOVE my AudioFront MIDI converters.  LOVE Them.  They are amazingly flexible and very powerful.  They function with every single volume pedal I've connected to it (9 different models so far!), the contorl over the curves and MIDI settings is really quite powerful.  Most of all, the software is super easy.  I love it. I own 4. Recommended.

kevorkian

Quote from: vanceg on March 24, 2020, 04:32:12 PM
I still LOVE my AudioFront MIDI converters.  LOVE Them.  They are amazingly flexible and very powerful.  They function with every single volume pedal I've connected to it (9 different models so far!), the contorl over the curves and MIDI settings is really quite powerful.  Most of all, the software is super easy.  I love it. I own 4. Recommended.

+1

I own 2 and a they are stellar!

alancarl

Quote from: admin on March 24, 2020, 02:23:45 PM

MIDI Expression iO

MIDI Performance
    The design of the MIDI Expression iO follows the MIDI spec, including an optically isolated MIDI In, with support for full length SysEx messages,

Hey guys,
    Has anyone used the great Audio Front MIDI Expression I/O for sending SYSEX?
I can't seem to be able to find it in the control app.
Thanks,
AL

admin

Quote from: alancarl on September 08, 2022, 07:21:12 AMHey guys,
    Has anyone used the great Audio Front MIDI Expression I/O for sending SYSEX?
I can't seem to be able to find it in the control app.
Thanks,
AL
thats a rare feature

could use a BOME Box as a MIDI CC# in to MIDI SYSEX convertor

alancarl

Thanks... I could also use MIDI Designer pro and a Supercontrol receiving a cc that then controls another control that is generating SYSEX...as stated above the Audiofront Expression controller device is supposed to generate SYSEX messages..maybe they changed their mind?
Thanks
Al

admin

Quote from: alancarl on September 15, 2022, 05:55:05 PMThanks... I could also use MIDI Designer pro and a Supercontrol receiving a cc that then controls another control that is generating SYSEX...as stated above the Audiofront Expression controller device is supposed to generate SYSEX messages..maybe they changed their mind?
Thanks
Al

It supports many types of MIDI Messages  , but I do not see support for transmitting custom user specified  SYSEX messages.
https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.pdf

But contact Audiofront for SYSEX transmission  support

Hammerhands

The AudioFront Expression IO is not currently available.

I found a similar DoReMIDI MPC-20.  It doesn't have a MIDI in.

https://www.doremidi.shop/products/midi-pedal-converter-2