Livid Instruments Guitar Wing

Started by jassy, January 22, 2014, 11:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

I'll be interested to hear what you think of this unit.  And, yeah, bummer, nothing worse than waiting extra time for the new toy to arrive.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

vanceg

I'm sorry to hear that.... But it's soooon! 
I'm just getting back into mine now that the editor is here. 
I have great hope for it. I wish there was an X/Y pad on it..but if I really need that I'll just re-attach the old Iphone running Lemur to the guitar.

Quote from: Elantric on November 21, 2014, 02:25:00 PM
HelloMusic used Fedex Home as the carrier, and here in my town that is the worst method, they never deliver on Saturdays and don't work on Mondays, so because they insist on my signature, I won't see the Guitar Wing until next Tuesday evening.
FedEx Home sucks!

OldGuitarDude

New beta firmware and Editor updates have been released for Guitar Wing, addressing several feature requests from users, plus multiple firmware fixes. Presets can now be saved locally as well. Nice to know these folks are listening!

For more details and update instructions: http://forum.lividinstruments.com/

Firmware: http://lividinstruments.com/dl/firmware/dev/gwing_controller_059.bin.zip

Editor:
Mac OS X: http://lividinstruments.com/dl/firmware/dev/gwing_editor_028_osx.zip
Windows: http://lividinstruments.com/dl/firmware/dev/gwing_editor_028_win.zip
Ubuntu: http://lividinstruments.com/dl/firmware/dev/gwing_editor_028_ubn.zip

Elantric

Guitar Wing Firmware Update
Mark
November 7 edited December 5 in Hardware
This update will allow the Guitar Wing to work with the Guitar Wing Editor beta.

To update the firmware on your Guitar Wing, you will need to download the Livid gwing_firmware_update utility and the Guitar Wing firmware.
(Unzip these files before using them.)

Download the Guitar Wing Firmware Update Utility:

Windows: lividinstruments.com/dl/firmware/dev/gwing_firmware_update_069_40ms_win.zip

Mac OSX: lividinstruments.com/dl/firmware/dev/gwing_firmware_update_069_osx.zip

Ubuntu: lividinstruments.com/dl/firmware/dev/gwing_firmware_update_069_ubu.zip

Download the Guitar Wing firmware:
        lividinstruments.com/dl/firmware/dev/gwing_controller_059.bin.zip

Before updating the firmware be sure that your Wing is charged and your computer is plugged in.

1) Plug in the USB receiver and power on the Wing in bootload mode by holding down one of the side buttons as you turn it on.
    The Wing will perform a nice light show if it's in bootload mode.

2) Wait 10-15 seconds. This allows time for the USB receiver to connect to the Wing while it's in bootload mode.

3) Open the gwing_firmware_update software and click on the tab that says "Firmware Update".

4) Drag and drop the unzipped .bin file into the box that says "drag and drop firmware here".
     Ignore the (.hex) indicator, we will be using a (.bin) file.

Now you will see a prompt that says "programming x%". This may take 5 minutes or so.
Once the programming is complete, power down the Wing and disconnect the USB receiver.

Here is a walk through video:

You are now ready to begin using the editor! Head over to the editor post:

http://forum.lividinstruments.com/discussion/19050/guitar-wing-editor-beta-release

Troubleshooting

"device not found, is it in bootloader mode?"
If you encounter this message after you drag and drop the file:

- Quit the gwing_firmware_update software, unplug the USB receiver, and power down the Wing.
- Start over at step 1 of the update instructions. Be sure to wait a good 15 seconds in step number 2.

If you still have any questions, make a post here or fill out a support ticket.
http://lividinstruments.com/helpdesk/

(EDIT: 10/11/14 - Added Link for Ubuntu (verified working on 12.04 and 14.04))
(EDIT: 12/05/14 - Updated Firmware to version 059 from version 054.)

Elantric

mooncaine

:D

I just picked up an iConnectivity4+ USB MIDI hub thingy because I had a GC Xmas coupon. It's perfect for the Livid Guitar Wing I just got a few days ago.

I plugged the iConnectivity4+ power adapter in, then I plug in the Guitar Wing's USB dongle to the host port on the back of the iConnectivity4+. I turn on the Guitar Wing immediately, so it does a handshake with the dongle and establishes contact. It's wireless. That's awesome.

I plug a MIDI cable from the iConnectivity4+'s MIDI OUT to the VG-99's MIDI IN. (I've already assigned a few MIDI CCs on the Wing to the same CCs I was using on the VG-99 patch).

Magically, the controls on the guitar now move the virtual knobs and pedals in the VG-99. It's just magical. And the Livid Guitar Wing has plenty of das Blinkenlights to go around. The lights make for a Christmassy glow.

The wing cost me US $189. The iConnectivity4+ cost another $136 with a sale price and a coupon. The MIDI cable I already had, but what does that cost? 10-20 bucks?

It all works without a computer (though I need the computer to set up the MIDI CC assignments for the pressure pads, switches and ribbons on the Guitar Wing). That's the point of my using the iConnectivity4+: to be a 'host'  to the Guitar Wing so I won't be reliant on a laptop just to use it.

It's all working so amazingly well. I couldn't be more pleased. This thing is really fun. And I haven't shot my eye out yet.

Bryan

Nice! I had no idea they could work well together.

VariousArtist

This looks like an interesting way to control the MIDI parameters of your guitar:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/HHAV2LL/A/livid-instruments-guitar-wing-3d-wireless-controller-for-guitar-and-bass

I love that it is a wireless controller too!   Hope to check this out at NAMM next week.

VariousArtist

Woah, I'm late to the party!  And here I was thinking I had stumbled on something new.  Thanks for the links, I will see what others have to say...  cheers, Peter

thebrushwithin

With the new editor, it works very well.

VariousArtist

I love these additional ways to express yourself on the guitar.  I have really enjoyed the VG-88 and VG-99 but disappointed that these don't seem to be progressing beyond the VG-99.  There's so many things that Roland could do in that department. But I digress...

Elantric

I love my Livid Instruments Guitar Wing  - had mine nearly  2 months now

QuoteI have really enjoyed the VG-88 and VG-99 but disappointed that these don't seem to be progressing beyond the VG-99

Read

Boss GP-10 F.A.Q.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11796.msg85343#msg85343

Boss GP-10 YouTube
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10884.0

Elantric

QuoteHope to check this out at NAMM next week.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6125.25

Its a new year, and I will be in Anaheim California at Winter NAMM 2015. Send me a PM if you are also at NAMM show and want to meet up.

whippinpost91850

Damn, I'm tempted to just call in sick next weekend and go to NAMM???

Elantric

its not too late to register with Roland and get a badge - tell them you teach Guitar in your neighborhood

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10084.0

Deadline is Jan 19

https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07e9ugukbg1c5f7e9f&oseq=&c=&ch=

NAMM SHOW SPECIAL OFFER FOR MUSIC EDUCATORS

NAMM 2015 The eighth annual Music Education Days at the NAMM Show will be held Saturday and Sunday, January 24–25, 2015, in Anaheim, CA. Music educators and administrators are encouraged to join us at this industry-only music products trade show. Preview the latest instruments, products, and tools relevant to today's music classrooms, and attend special music educator events!

Visit the Roland/BOSS booth in room 300A/303A on Level 3 of the Anaheim Convention Center and let us show you our leading-edge products and custom solutions for music education. Plus, when you mention this email you'll receive a special gift from Roland Music Education!

alexmcginness

I bought a guitar Wing the other day to use primarily with my VG-99. I also bought a Kenton Midi USB host as well as I dont use a computer live. Anybody else here have a Guitar Wing? How are you using it? Maybe some setup patches can be exchanged as well as tips to integrate it into your rig. I find it a bit niggly to use with the 99 but it does work.
   Let us know how youre using it.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Elantric

QuoteI bought a guitar Wing the other day to use primarily with my VG-99.

Read Mooncaine's post above

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10406.msg96253#msg96253

Elantric

http://wiki.lividinstruments.com/wiki/Guitar_Wing_Editor
Customized Control
We're excited to release version 1.0 of the Guitar Wing Editor. The Guitar Wing editor allows you to have full control over the MIDI input and output settings, customize your colors, and control your bluetooth connections. Available for MAC, Windows, and Linux.

Here are a few examples of what you can do with the editor:

Save and recall preset settings files.
Restore the Wing to default settings.
Change the output message type for each control.
Set LED on and off colors.
Change MIDI channel.
And much more....

alexmcginness

Quote from: Elantric on January 30, 2015, 11:29:40 AM
Read Mooncaine's post above

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10406.msg96253#msg96253

I missed that. Im using a Kenton usb to midi host and an old Anatech pocket merge to get midi into the 99. I dont travel with the FC-300 as its way to big and heavy to fit in my carry on bag so I bought a GFC-50. The Anatech merges the Wing and the foot controller into the 99 midi in and it works well.
    You still need the computer to program the wing though. Its a pretty cool controller for the price.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

mooncaine

Sorry I missed your questions. I've got a Guitar Wing, and it works a treat -- no complaints here, and I'm a harsh critic at times. This thing is awesome.

I don't like relying on a computer to play guitar, so my 1st goal was to use the Guitar Wing to bend pitch on my VG-99 without needing a computer. Since the dawn of guitar synthesizer, I've wanted to get synth sounds and bend the pitch like Herbie Hancock, Manfred Mann or Jan Hammer: to have complete control over the pitch, on all strings, no compromises.

Now I finally have that, albeit with rubber pads instead of a wheel or whammy bar. But it's way better. With the Guitar Wing, I can not only have separate bend ranges for up, or for down, but I can also have on-board controls that adjust the bend range. That was in my dream instrument, but I never seriously thought I'd get THAT to happen. The VG-99 makes it easy, because it lets you assign a MIDI Continuous Controller # to the PITCH MAX and/or DOWN MAX (for example) of its various pitch bending effects. Most of them work fabulously well, too, far better than the Whammy Pedal stuff I've heard on the radio. (BTW, can this be done on a GR-55?)

But here's an important note: you need a computer to set up your Guitar Wing with the right MIDI CC numbers. It's not too complicated, though: just never use MIDI CC numbers 33 through 63, because the VG-99 ignores those numbers. I don't know why. I think numbers 0 (zero) and 32 are special, too, but I'm not sure. I just avoided those, too. See p. 179 of the VG-99 manual (the MIDI implementation chart).

It's a slight bummer that the Livid Guitar Wing ships with the MIDI #s set to the wrong numbers for VG-99 use, but it's because the VG-99 ignores those numbers. It's not Livid's fault.

You can probably use the numbers I use. So far, I've noticed no problems getting all of the controls to work by reassigning them all to MIDI CC #s 1 through 24. I'm still experimenting, but I've hit a pretty solid layout that looks generally useful, for all kinds of VG-99 patches. I set the 4 big pressure pads to bend pitch: 2 bend it up, and 2 bend it down. Each one bends a different amount. The amounts they bend are adjustable by using the two short ribbon controls.

After I'm done setting up my Guitar Wing, I plug the Guitar Wing's USB dongle into the back of my iConnectmidi4+, turn that box on, and turn on the Guitar Wing. In a few seconds, maybe 10, it's working. A MIDI cable connects the front of the iConnect4+ to the VG-99. No computer required. If I turn off the Guitar Wing, I have to turn the iConnect4+ off & on again. I find I can do that with its front panel button or an outlet bar switch, no problem.

I find the Pedal Bend effect works smoothly--flawlessly for me, for guitar sounds and Wave synth patches. I also use the pads to bend pitch, & adjust ranges, using the D Beam or Ribbon's T ARM control. Either's available. It bugs me that they kind of 'hitch' when I bend pitch, though, whereas the Pedal Bend effect doesn't. It's totally smooth. The PB effect's not the best for going up an octave or higher; the D Beam or Ribbon is great for that. I think I've also successfully used the Bend setting in Alternate Tuning. These give a fine-grained, high-resolution bending of pitch.

I'm still messing with the sensitivity settings, and so is Livid--this is new ground being explored. Feels great. When I dreamt about onboard guitar controls, I didn't seriously expect wireless, but, wow, it sure is awesomely convenient & just overall double plus good. Brilliant.

Oh, BTW, any pad can set to transmit on any MIDI channel. Some controls send 2 separate MIDI messages; each of those can be on the channel of your choice. The Wing sends proper MIDI Pitch Bend, too. Sadly, the only synths I own are Roland guitar synths, none of which respond to MIDI pitch bend (I can't even control my GR-55 via MIDI, which is downright shameful), so I can't use the high resolution bending quality that MIDI provides.

I've only talked about pitch, but let me tell you, this thing makes it fun to adjust all kinds of parameters on the VG-99, on the fly, like the Manual knob on the Phaser effect, the delay knob on Tape Delay, the position of the virtual pickup, acoustic body size.... some really WOW stuff. The VG-99 lets you assign MIDI control for up to 16 incoming MIDI CC numbers. Each of those can control 2 things simultaneously. That's a lot of stuff you can monkey with.

Since I have the iConnect, I can also use this with Ableton Live on my Mac, but the key love factor for me is that I don't need a computer to play this groovy space guitar rig. Theoretically, I could plug in an iPad or Android device, too. I'm thinking of reserving the bottom row of rectangle buttons, and the arrow buttons, for Ableton Live use, but for now, I'm experimenting mainly with the VG-99. I finally have all the onboard pickup switching control I could possibly want. The only downside is the embarrassment of riches: the world's my oyster, so which 16 to 24 pearls do I want my Guitar Wing to sport?

Oh, wait, here's a tiny downside: the Wing only stores one setup. Whatever MIDI #s you choose, you have to use until the next time you attach it to a computer. Loading presets is fast, though, so if you're already gigging with a laptop, you can even load different setups for it. No bank switching like a Quneo, but, hey, that keeps it simple, and you already get tons of options.

Here's mine. This ZIP file contains a VG-99 .MID patch file (sounds horrible but has lots of Guitar Wing controls mentioned here) and a Guitar Wing preset file to go with it.

I haven't tried this with my GR-55 because I hardly use it. If the Wing is as awesome with the 55 as with the 99, tell us~

Oh, one last BTW: it feels a bit like a Quneo. It feels plenty solid enough and it stays clamped to my Squier and Fender guitars well enough. It crowds the Strat's pickup selector switch, but I almost never use the guitar's pickups when the Wing's onboard.

--moonie

alexmcginness

Thankyou so much for sharing these. It will be a big help to be sure. Ill post how I make out. Youve given me some new ideas for using this.
Heres a guy using the wing with a gr55

mooncaine

Glad I could help! I love to share good ideas.

Thanks for that clip link; that's pretty much my favorite Guitar Wing demo yet.

alexmcginness

I sent an invite to the guy in the vid to come and join us here. Hope he does.

A2theT

This is very cool!
Me want.

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars