GR-55 - Marc Benigni's GR-55 TouchOSC Navigator for iPad

Started by MCK, February 17, 2011, 03:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCK

Yup. Midi Touch ($9.99) + Camera Kit will get you going with ease.

Elantric

Although with an Ipad - you will want the Ipad version of MIDI Touch -which is $19.95

prsrick

MCK

Quote from: Elantric on October 18, 2011, 02:17:58 PM
Although with an Ipad - you will want the Ipad version of MIDI Touch -which is $19.95

My mistake. I thought it was universal app. Totally don't remember paying $19.99 for it. Wonder if I got it during one of those occasional price discount times... Oh well.

prsrick

I have looked at all the midi data in OSCTouch editor,  they all start with xF0,   That means they are all SysEx messages,  why is that,   Should some of them , e.g. Patch change can be CC or PC message instead?

Elantric

QuoteThat means they are all SysEx messages,  why is that, 

Because MIDI Sysex is the ONLY path/ method to control EVERY element of the GR-55.

We have to thank Gumtown for snooping and debugging this - without any documentation!

Luckily Gumtown has "been there done" that before, creating third party editors for other Roland gear, like his excellent BossGT-10 Floorboard editor.

But simple remote MIDI control of Patch up  / down and making knob / faders for the limited Eight assignable MIDI CC# Continuous Controllers should not be too difficult.

Here's another Alesis I/O dock Core MIDI  IOS app "MIDI Tool box":
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/midi-tool-box/id443115330?mt=8

and MIDI Monitor is free
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/midi-monitor/id395750746?mt=8

mbenigni

QuoteWe have to thank Gumtown for snooping and debugging this - without any documentation!

Amen to that!

mbenigni

Quote from: prsrick on October 19, 2011, 11:21:07 AM
I have looked at all the midi data in OSCTouch editor,  they all start with xF0,   That means they are all SysEx messages,  why is that,   Should some of them , e.g. Patch change can be CC or PC message instead?

If nothing else, you can get some mileage out of copying the CC Message faders and XY pads to your own template, and moving those simple messages over to the MIDI tab on each control.  These can be used with the Assigns in the GR55 to control quite a few things.  Unfortunately, I don't think patch navigation is among them. 

But things like pickup selection, amp selection, etc. are, and if you experiment you can begin replacing these sliders with distinct buttons that call out the components/ positions (i.e. the specific values) you prefer, which could be very useful in performance.

I've said it about a dozen times already, but I think one of the most exciting things about these iOS interface apps (TouchOSC, MIDI Touch, etc) is that everyone can wind up with a UI that exactly suits their own personal preferences.

prsrick

Thanks!  do you mean GR-55 will not accept standard CC and PG midi control?
I remember long time ago, I can use my GT-5 to send program change message to my GR-55 to select a patch.

Elantric

Quotedo you mean GR-55 will not accept standard CC and PG midi control?

Quite the contrary - its rather standard in that regard and will accept program change commands  -AFTER you enable MIDI Patch change reception.

And set the correct MIDI Channel too (PATCH CH = 1 thru 16)

To enable MIDI Patch change reception set (PC RX Switch = ON)

See GR-55 Owners Manual page 79

But  it restricts you to a total of eight total MIDI CC# commands which you must manually assign each.
Of the hundreds of available GR-55 effect parameters, only 8 can be controlled at a time using MIDI CC#.

prsrick

So how do you enable MIDI Patch change reception?
What are the allowed CC commands from the short list?

Thanks again!

Elantric

Read post directly above on how to enable MIDI Patch Change reception

This is a list of ALL available Control sources for the  GR-55:
(Observe  that not all MIDI CC# (1 thru 128) are available)
You may create Eight Total Control Assigns from the possible controller sources in this list.

Elantric

This is a list of ALL available GR-55 FX Parameter Targets you may control remotely using the EIGHT Control Assignments:

Elantric

Most will discover its easiest to assign the hundreds of available GR-55 FX parameter Targets (as listed in the post above) to the Eight Control ASSIGNS using Gumtown's GR-55 Floorboard Editor :

prsrick

Thanks again!

Where did you find out all these details?  or am I miss reading in the owner manual?

Elantric

QuoteWhere did you find out all these details?  or am I miss reading in the owner manual?

QuoteWe have to thank Gumtown for snooping and debugging this - without any documentation!

Double Amen to that!

prsrick

mbenigni

QuoteThanks!  do you mean GR-55 will not accept standard CC and PG midi control?
I remember long time ago, I can use my GT-5 to send program change message to my GR-55 to select a patch.

Right, my mistake.  I'm actually using SysEx for my patch navigation (adapted from a template MCK developed), but yes it should have occurred to me that simple Program Change messages would work!

mbenigni

I've finally started shooting the YouTube vids I mentioned earlier.  Very informal stuff - no editing, just one camera pointed at the iPad while I blather on, podcast-style.  The first two videos are strictly a verbal introduction to concepts, stuff you guys already know, but I hope to have more up soon.  Hope these links work:

MCK

mbenigni

Quote from: MCK on October 25, 2011, 02:18:06 AM
Great stuff! Thanks for putting in the time.
Thanks, MCK. I'd expected to have a third, more substantial episode posted by now, but I wound up in the maternity ward instead! :O

gumtown

CONGRATULATIONS !!!  ;D
Another member for the family band !!

I am expecting one in december,
this time i hope we make it to the hospital. :o
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

whippinpost91850

CONGRATULATIONS. WHAT A PLEASANT ADDITION TO THE FAMILY ;D

Elantric

aliensporebomb

Ah!  Congratulations on your new arrival!  Be sure to catch catnaps when you can - my co-worker just had a daughter and, well, he's had better sleep!  Congratulations again!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.