FC300 - VG-99 & FC-300 CTL Pedal 1 & 2 Assign Problem

Started by Movieman53, December 27, 2009, 09:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Movieman53

I want to use the FC-300 in Patch Mode because I will eventually be controlling multiple devices.  Right now, step one is to get the FC-300 to control things correctly on the VG-99 in Patch Mode.  I have been able to figure out how to have it change to the correct patch, but I can't seem to make the CTL1 and CTL2 pedals work correctly with the patches.  Within the FC-300 patch I have set CTL1 pedal to CC#80 and CTL2 to CC#81, which are the defaults.  The are both set to transmit on MIDI channel 1, and MIDI ON stream for each controller is set to a value of 127.  The Mode for each pedal assignment is Latch as it is within the patch on the VG-99.  When I step on CTL1 or CTL2 pedal on the FC-300, the pedal light comes on, as if it is working, but the control assignment within the patch on the VG-99 never changes.  The CTL1 pedal in the patch on the VG-99 is set to turn the preamp Solo switch on/off for both channel A and B.  The CTL2 pedal in the patch on the VG-99 is set to turn the Chorus on/off.  The CTL pedal assignments work correctly in SYSEX mode from the FC-300, but I can't get them to turn things on and off from Patch mode. Can any of you FC-300 gurus explain to me what I am doing wrong?  What am I missing, and what do I need to do to change to make the CTL pedal assignments work correctly from Patch Mode.  Rdomain, I know you are using the FC-300 with multiple devices.  You must have gotten this working.  Any ideas anyone?

Brent Flash

Movieman53

Brent,
     Thanks for responding so quickly.  I am really under the gun because I have to get my VG-99 and FC-300 operational for two band jobs we have on New Year's Eve and a wedding on January 2nd.  My VG-88 had to go back to Roland for repars and I won't have it back until sometime in mid-January.  I have been working my butt off for the last 2 weeks trying to duplicate the 50 or so patches I have in my VG-88 from memory or just looking at settings in the VEditor.  What a lot of work! However, it has been a great learning experience, and a lot of fun.
     I must be missing something obvious.  I am using the default controller settings in Patch Mode, which are all the same as in the article you wrote that you pointed me to.  I tried the same thing in Standard Mode, and had the same results.  The lights for the controllers light up, but the functions in the patch on the VG-99 don't change.  Is there some System setting I am missing either on the VG-99 or in the FC-300, or do you have to make the controllers different than the defaults?  All the controller defaults are already setup in the Standard Mode when I go into the Controller Assign screens.  I didn't have to change anything.  If I can't get this working in the next few days, I'll have to rearrange the order of my patches in the VG-99 for the time being and use SYSEX mode, and figure this out later.  Thanks again.

Brent Flash

Here is one bit of info that might help you understand the light thing. The lights only represent the true state of the effect you are controlling in SYSEX MODE. All other modes only represent that you have hit it and it is alternating between the light being on and off. There is no feed back to the FC-300 in the other modes to give an indication of the state of the FX you are controlling. This can only be accomplished in SYSEX mode because the FC and the VG talk to each other in that mode.

I might add that in every mode other than SYSEX there is only one direction of communication. From the FC to the VG.

Brent Flash

Movieman53

Brent,
     I figured out what my problem was, and I now have the CTL 1 and 2 and EXP pedals 1 & 2 working in both Standard and Patch Mode.  This was probably obviuos to you, but not to me.  The answer was right in front of my face and I couldn't see it.  I had all the control assigns setup and working correctly in SYSEX mode. I thought since I had all the FC-300 pedals assigned correctly in the VG-99 patches, and they used all the default values, I only had to set them up with the same values in the patches in Patch mode to make them work.  Wrong!  What I didn't understand from your article was that the FC-300 control assignments in the VG-99 patches only work in SYSEX mode.  You have to duplicate all those assignments with their repective CC numbers in the VG-99 patches.  Essentially, that means if you want all the control assignments to work in both modes (or in SYSEX and PATCH Modes), you have to use twice the number of controllers as normal, one set for SYSEX Mode and a duplicate set with CC numbers for PATCH or STANDARD Mode.  Now I know I can make this work so I can step on one pedal to switch patches, like you describe in your article, and in the future I can make the FC-300 control multiple devices as well.  The problem is I have so many patches and so many controllers, I'll never get this done before the New Year's EVe job on Thursday.  For now, I'll probably rearrange the order of the patches in the VG-99 and use SYSEX mode, or a combination of PATCH Mode and SYSEX Mode as described in your article.  Thanks for all of your input and your article explaining these procedures.

Brent Flash

Glad you have it going! Sorry if I did not make it clear that in STANDARD mode you have to treat the FC-300 as if it were just an ordinary MIDI foot controller.

Yes, it can take some time to set this up. A lot of the later patches that I have posted are already set up to switch back and forth from SYSEX to STANDARD. That probably won't help you but thought I would mention it.

Did you get the link to the thread that tells you how to use the EDITOR and LIBRARIAN?

ddlooping

Hello you two :)

Sorry to revive this old thread but could you explain how to "match" the FC-300 CTL1 & 2 to the VG-99 ones in Patch mode?
I'm kinda having a hard time figuring it out.  :-[
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

Brent Flash

Quote from: ddlooping on August 23, 2010, 06:09:37 PM
Hello you two :)

Sorry to revive this old thread but could you explain how to "match" the FC-300 CTL1 & 2 to the VG-99 ones in Patch mode?
I'm kinda having a hard time figuring it out.  :-[
OK, what do you mean by "match" are you not using CTL1 & 2 to send MIDI note on and note off in PATCH MODE? I don't understand the question, sorry!  ::)

ddlooping

Quote from: Brent Flash on August 23, 2010, 06:35:17 PM
OK, what do you mean by "match" are you not using CTL1 & 2 to send MIDI note on and note off in PATCH MODE? I don't understand the question, sorry!  ::)
Sorry for not making myself very clear, Brent.  :-[

I'd like the CTL1 & 2 on the FC-300 (in "Patch" mode) to have the same effect as CTL1 & 2 on the VG-99.
(pressing the pedal would have the same effect as pushing the button and vice-versa)

The sending of Midi Note on & off will come at a later date. :)

Brent Flash

Now I am following you, I knew you wanted to send note on/off in PATCH MODE and that was throwing me off.

So, anytime you are not in SYSEX MODE you have to set up all the controllers as described in this thread. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,1377.0.html

For example if you are wanting to control something with CTL 1 you would set that target to respond to CC#80 in the CONTROL ASSIGN section / ASSIGN.

Try it out and if you get hung up shout back.

ddlooping

Thanks, Brent, I'll give it a go tomorrow, I'm off to bed. :)

bbob

I am using the FC-300 in SYS EX mode to control both the VG-99 and GR-55.  Also using a US-20 to feed the GK to both units.

The FC-300 is connected to the VG-99 using the RRC2 cable, then going from the midi out on the VG-99 to the midi in on the GR-55.  I mainly use the EXP1 and CTL1 to control VG-99 parameters and EXP2 and CTL2 to control GR-55 PCM tone volume and PCM tone switch thru the GR ASSIGN section.

The red LED on the CTL1 works fine indicating that the VG-99 parameter is either on or off but the LED on the CTL2 to the GR is always off even though it turns the PCM tone on and off just fine.

Is the CTL2 red LED not going to function in this setup?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Brent Flash

No, it won't work like on the VG because there is no feedback from the GR so the FC does not know if the target is on or off.

bbob

Jim Williams

I have not tried it but what if you hooked up the VG-99 with the RRC2 and the GR-55 midi in and out with the FC-300? I don't know what would happen and you might have to change the mode of the FC-300. it seems there are a few different options for getting all 3 midi devices to talk to each other. If you experiment you might find a useful solution. I too have both units but only use one at a time because I don't have a US-20. I am considering making a 2 way Y adapter but I don't relay know how. I guess it's a lot more involved than just taking 3 female 13 pin jacks and wiring them together.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

bbob

Thanks Jim.

I'll give your suggestion a try.

Bob

aragon

Can anyone help me , while trying to assign the COSM Guitar Switch On\Off to my FC-300 CTL Pedal 1 or 2 , I just realize that any patchs using these CTL pedal are not working (I mean the CTL Pedal is not switching) . I have no problem with EXP Pedal 1 & 2 . Is it my FC-300 having a problem or just some parameters settings.

Thanks

Brent Flash

What are you controlling, VG-99?

If so check what your SYSTEM CTLs are set on. If they are set to ASSIGNABLE(PATCH) then you would set each patch's FC-300 CTL to the target you require. If they are set to something else then you have to set it globally to that target.

aragon

Thanks Brent , You were right . My Control assignment for the CTL Pedal 1 was not correctly set in the System CTL configuration page.

Brent Flash

Good to hear you got to the bottom of it. Let us know if you need more help.

Baldadi

Hi all,

couldnt find the answer to this in all the threads: is there a setting that allows me to AUTOMATICALLY have the FC300 CTL1/2 act the same way as the VG CTL1/2?

So when I set up a patch and assign the VG's CTL1/2 to A <-> B for example, that my FC300 CTL1/2 acte the same way without me having to enter all the same s*** again for the FC300 CTL's?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards, R

Brent Flash

Baldadi

Thx for the quick reply! Bummer... for the next Rev2.0 (that will probably never happen :-( )