Hi All. A newbie with a quandry!

Started by ubique, February 28, 2014, 03:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubique

Hello
I joined the forum as I was about to purchase the GR55 and needed to do some prior research. Glad I did because now I need some advice on which direction to go. I've spent hours watching demos of the G55 and reading posts on this excellent forum and to be honest I'm stuck! Basically I'm a 67 year old amateur guitarist, I play and record at home purely for my own pleasure, and I know a  bit about DAW's and midi, having used Sonar Cubase and more recently Mixcraft. I have a couple of guitars, an Akai EWI, a Roland JV1080 and a Roland Sonic Cell.
I would really like to use my guitar as a controller, hence the interest in the GR55, but 550 pounds is a lot to shell out especially, as I already have the two sound modules. What would be the best polyphonic pickup to hook up my guitar to the JV1080 or Sonic Cell and what else would be required?. I realize this would not give me anywhere near the capabilities of the GR55 but may well suit my needs. What would you do in my position? Lash out on the GR55 or buy a pickup and make do with what I already have.
Thanks an best regards.
Neil

Elantric

Find a used 1997 Roland GR30, it's still the fastest Roland GR ever made and they sell low price in the used channel.

imerkat

As an owner and a fan of the GR-55 the plays/records at home now I would go Fishman triple Play. the only advantage to the GR-55 is using it live and soon that won't be the case. I don't have the FTP but it would be nice to have a more direct access to softsynths and my sound modules.  since you have the sound modules you may want a used VG-99

Toby Krebs

Quote from: imerkat on February 28, 2014, 08:14:12 AM
As an owner and a fan of the GR-55 the plays/records at home now I would go Fishman triple Play. the only advantage to the GR-55 is using it live and soon that won't be the case. I don't have the FTP but it would be nice to have a more direct access to softsynths and my sound modules.  since you have the sound modules you may want a used VG-99

The GR55 will still be my go to processor until Apple builds an I-Pad that costs less than 500 dollars loaded with all the software to run all the apps at the same time and can also withstand being dropped/kicked/fallen on/beer/mixed cocktails/french fries/dust/vibration/heat/cold/moisture/being crushed by a mic stand/amp falling on it/PA cab landing on it etc...

Until then the Roland GR55/Boss GT 10 combo meal will be what I use live. They are almost indestructible. Look up Gumtowns beat half to death/crushed GR55 that he pounded back in to shape with a hammer and a vise. An I-Pad will not take that kind of punishment and I am too old to take some clown who knocks it off my mic. stand outside for a "tune up". Those days are over. If and when I do get an I-Pad/Fishman Triple Whammy setup it will stay at home. Too delicate for what I do.

Elantric

Not finger pointing - but IMHO, reading comprehension seems to have become a lost art
QuoteBasically I'm a 67 year old amateur guitarist, I play and record at home purely for my own pleasure, and I know a  bit about DAW's and midi, having used Sonar Cubase and more recently Mixcraft. I have a couple of guitars, an Akai EWI, a Roland JV1080 and a Roland Sonic Cell.
I would really like to use my guitar as a controller, hence the interest in the GR55, but 550 pounds is a lot to shell out especially, as I already have the two sound modules. What would be the best polyphonic pickup to hook up my guitar to the JV1080 or Sonic Cell and what else would be required?. I realize this would not give me anywhere near the capabilities of the GR55 but may well suit my needs. What would you do in my position? Lash out on the GR55 or buy a pickup and make do with what I already have.
Thanks an best regards.
Neil

I still say get a used 1997 GR-30 +GK-2A PU - as these can be found very very cheap these days (Ive seen then for $150 for both on Ebay ) - yet still offer all your need to drive (via 5pin MIDI connection )the Roland JV1080 and a Roland Sonic Cell.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLAND-GR-30-GUITAR-SYNTHESIZER-SYNTH-W-POWER-SUPPLY-MULTI-EFFECT-PEDAL-FREE-S-H-/190971509545?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item2c76c9fb29

or consider something really different - The You Rock Guitar Gen II

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6204.0

QuoteWhat would be the best polyphonic pickup to hook up my guitar to the JV1080 or Sonic Cell and what else would be required?

If money is no problem - then the best unit is subjective  - but many think the Fishman Tripleplay is the king of Guitar to MIDI interfaces today ($399 USD) - but it does not directly drive your  JV1080 or Sonic Cell without forcing yo to buy more gear - like a Kenton USB Host to MIDI Interface (another $145USD) - so you are pushing $550 USD.

Toby Krebs

The GR30 is a killer and can be had at Guitar Centers website used for 149 dollars!!!