Fishman TriplePlay - New Wireless MIDI Guitar on the horizon.

Started by Spider, March 16, 2011, 09:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sadicus

Greetings,
These questions are for anyone using Extend range guitars (8 or more strings)

1) would this wireless MIDI unit solve the current 6 channel limitation?
2) Will Ghost Hexpander work with this wireless MIDI system?
I don't till I'll ever go back to setting a hex pickup on top of a guitar ever again!

I have talked to a few people who are willing to set up guitars using the standard equipment available,
but you have to have two 13 pin cables and two MIDI converters. A true Frankenstein's Monster.

Though I have an Axon, I mostly use the GI-20 because it has per string mute (no software needed)
Also, i mostly finger pick using nylon strings so the brilliant Axon neural network transient detection does not apply.

scratch17

This product was shown as a prototype a few times in the past. The promise of really fast tracking is enticing. I'd love to see a released product.

However, since there has not been any information from Andras Szalay in months, I am starting to think of it as vapor ware.

sadicus: There is no easy or inexpensive way to handle 8 or more strings. Most Chapman Stick owners put up with two pickups and two cables. You don't want to use two hex pickups and two 13 pin cables because of the mess.

The real problem is the pickup, not the 13 pin connector or the GK cable. No one makes an over the counter octaphonic pickup, so you will need a custom-built pickup.

Assuming you could get or make a custom-built pickup, you'd wire the pickup with a custom configuration to a standard 13 pin DIN (GK style) connector.

One of the extra string's output could be wired to pin 9 (which is unused on standard GK implementations). In this configuration you would have to sacrifice one of the other in-use buses; magnetic guitar (pin 7), synth volume (pin 8 ), SW1 (pin 10) or SW2 (pin 11). My choice would be the magnetic guitar (because you have a regular 1/4 inch output jack for that).

You can now use a single cable to connect the octaphonic pickup to your GK (VG or pitch to MIDI) devices.

For simplicity of discussion, assume you wire the 7th string to pin 7 and the eighth string to pin 9.

So far, you are at the guitar's 13 pin output. The next step is the cable that goes to the VG or GR devices. This is where you have a choice.

Choice # 1:

Buy the following parts. 

3 standard GK cables, 5 standard Tip-Ring-Sleeve 1/4 inch cables, and 2 RMC Fanout Boxes.

Make the following connections.

Step 1: Connect one GK cable to Box #1's input. This brings the audio from all 8 strings, synth volume, SW1 and SW2 functions into Box #1.

Step 2: From Box #1 you connect a /14 inch cable from the 1/4 inch jack labeled "mono" to BOX #2's jack labeled String 1. This brings the audio from the 7th string into Box #2's String 1 bus.

Step 3: From Box #1 you connect a /14 inch cable from the 1/4 inch jack labeled "spare" to BOX #2's jack labeled String 1. This brings the audio from the 8th string into Box #2's String 2 bus.

Step 4: From Box #1 you connect a /14 inch cable from the 1/4 inch jack labeled "SW1" to BOX #2's jack labeled "SW1". This brings the control signal for switch 1 into Box #2's switch 1 bus.

Step 5: From Box #1 you connect a /14 inch cable from the 1/4 inch jack labeled "SW2" to BOX #2's jack labeled "SW2". This brings the control signal for switch 2 into Box #2's switch 2 bus.

Step 5: From Box #1 you connect a /14 inch cable from the 1/4 inch jack labeled "Synth Vol." to BOX #2's jack labeled "Synth Vol.". This brings the control signal for the synth volume into Box #2's synth volume bus.

Step 6: Connect a standard GK cable from Box 1's Poly Out to your first GK device. GK device # 1 will process sounds from strings one through six, as normal.

Step 7: Connect a standard GK cable from Box 2's Poly Out to your second GK device. GK device # 2 will process sounds from strings seven and eight.

Note: Do not connect the second GK outputs (labeled "Poly Out 2" on either Fanout Box to any device. These GK outputs are not affected by the connections made on the Fanout boxes, so the rewired pickup would potentially damage the inputs on a GK device.

Note aslo that settings for strings 7 and 8 on GK device #2 will be the settings labeled for strings 1 and 2 on the device.

Choice # 2:

Build a custom box that has a single GK input and two GK outputs. You will still need 3 GK cables.

Step 1: Make the internal wiring from the GK input to GK output #1 follow the standard for all pins except pins 7 and 9. Do not connect these to GK output #1.

Step 2: Wire the pin 7 on the GK input to pin 1 on GK output #2. This brings the 7th string's audio to string 1 of GK output #2.

Step 3: Wire the pin 9 on the GK input to pin 2 on GK output #2. This brings the 8th string's audio to string 2 of GK output #2.

Step 4: Wire pins  8, 10 and 11 on the GK input to their respective pins on GK output #2. This brings the synth volume, and switch 1 & 2 control signals to GK output #2.

Note that as above, the settings for strings 7 and 8 on GK device #2 will be the settings labeled for strings 1 and 2 on the device.

Choice #3:

Modify the box design from choice #2. Steps 1 and 4 are the same.

Step 2: Instead of wiring pin 7 to pin 1 of GK output #2, wire it to pin 5.

Step 3: Instead of wiring pin 9 to pin 2 of GK output #2, wire it to pin 6.

Step 5: Run a second wire from pin 1 on the GK input to pin 1 on GK output #2.

Step 6: Run a second wire from pin 2 on the GK input to pin 2 on GK output #2.

Step 7: Run a second wire from pin 3 on the GK input to pin 3 on GK output #2.

Step 8: Run a second wire from pin 4 on the GK input to pin 4 on GK output #2.

What is the purpose of this modification?

Well, assume you are connecting to a pair of VG-99s. Now for strings 1,2,3, and 4 you have four voices (two from each VG-99). On strings 5 and 6, you have 2 voices from VG-99 #1. On strings 7 and 8, you have two voices from VG-99 #2. Note that in this case settings for strings 7 and 8 are made on VG-99 #2's string numbers 5 and 6.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Spider

Few more bits of info from the Yahoo! MIDIguitar Group:
<Andras Szalay wrote>

About latency GR55/Axon/ New wireless system

"I cannot display here the graphical histogram of my GR-55 measurements, I
try to describe it. I played the lowest four notes (E,F,F#,G) quickly,
repeatedly about 100 times, in a fast, continuous riff. I measured the MIDI
response. 75% of the latency values on the histogram were under a wide Gauss
curve, centered at 28 msec, the tails at 24 and 32 msec. There was only one
single value below 20 msec, it was at 19 msec. The 25% rest were randomly
distributed between 35 and 75 msec. The same measurement for the new  WGS6000 TriplePlay
wireless guitar synthesizer (will be introduced at the winter NAMM) has a
thin Gauss curve centered at 15 msec, with the tails at 12 and 17 msec. Only
two notes were 18 and 19 msec, 98% was below 17 msec
."

"First of all, there is no difference at all between the oldest and newest
Axon models; the pitch detection engine is exactly the same in all models,
they only differ in the user interface.
As the Axon already reached the theoretical minimum of latency allowed by
physics, the answer could be no. But this is not true, the essence is in the
details. Even on some Roland models -- especially the GI-20 -- you can
notice pitch detection in slightly more than one vibration period, the same
as the Axon or the new system. The question is whether this happens in 1% of
the cases, by cleanly picked individual notes, or in 99% of the notes, even
in dirty riffs. The really revolutionary thing about the Axon was not the
device itself, but the development system that I built to it. It allowed me
to detect and record every error that happened, and theoretically it was
possible to squeeze the software to repair the error. However, this process
came to an end as the necessary processing power reached the top of the
processor's capabilities, and the software became very complicated as I had
to concentrate on two things at the same time, the functional performance of
the software, and runtime optimization to fit it into the available time.
Now, on the WGS6000 TriplePlay I have a development system that is even far more
advanced than the Axon's; it took me four years to build it, while the
device itself was developed in three years. I use now a processor that has
practically unlimited available processing power. This means, I can write
much simpler software, I can concentrate on the functionality and not on
optimization. In spite of that in the current state the software requires
just slightly more than 10% of the available processing power, so there are
practically unlimited reserves for further improvements, if it would ever be
necessary. Therefore, the new system reaches the minimum latency allowed by
physiscs in practically 100% of the cases, which Roland devices perform very
rarely, and the Axon maybe in 50-70%. The enhanced reliability is reflected
especially in very stable input to Guitar to Music Notation translation, as John McLaughlin
reported me who started to use it middle of September 2011.

Andras Szalay"

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/midiguitar/message/33907

Elantric

Andras said it will be at the Fishman booth at the  2012 Winter NAMM show.

I have asked more questions on the Yahoo MIDI Guitar list, but they moderate every post, and mine seem to get deleted. Oh well

I will try one out in January, assuming they are demoing and allowing others to play it. (some NAMM booth displays do not have a hands on area)
Observe the hex PU style they choose for the "worlds fastest Guitar to MIDI system".

mbenigni

If they were to integrate a channel of wireless guitar audio into that product, I'd be pretty excited.  As it stands, a wireless product for a guitar I've already got a wire hanging out of...   :-\ 

Still a massive improvement in form factor compared with all of the rack mounted solutions we've seen to date.  Will be waiting to hear as far as speed and accuracy are concerned.

Elantric

The march 2011 version had a path for mono Audio
mentioned here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3444.msg22947#msg22947

But I note Andras no longer talks about that, perhaps this is now deleted from the design.

Its rather late to be changing anything if they expect to display this in January 2012 at NAMM.

Like most bleeding edge items today, it will probably not ship till summer 2012, and something else may come along by then.     

Time will tell.

datsunrobbie

Elantric - I'm on that yahoo midi guitar list too, would be glad to post questions if you think a moderator is quashing them just because they are coming from you. You are not the first to say posts just get deleted from a moderated group  ::). I love the idea of a GK wireless, even though I can't think of a practical reason to buy one for myself. I'd love to see a variation that would plug into the GK output of a GK-equipped guitar instead of including the pickup.

Elantric

<Andras Szalay wrote>
These are the relevant clips:

Kálmán Matolcsy: Andromeda

András Szalay: Diamonds

Bence Bécsy playing Wireless MIDI Guitar Synthesizer

See also in live concert:

QuoteElantric - I'm on that yahoo midi guitar list too, would be glad to post questions if you think a moderator is quashing them just because they are coming from you. You are not the first to say posts just get deleted from a moderated group

Sure - these are my past questions / posts  which the Mods over at the Yahoo MIDIGuitar list did not approve.
BTW - I'm sustainiac_93401 and pop up as member "Steve C" over there - in the my 25% ability for a successful posting over there. i will not list each and every "non- approved post", but these were relevant to the threads at the time. 

<Oct 15, 2011>
Will the Guitar version use a Piezo PU or the current Axon AIX-101 hex Mag PU?

<July 9, 2011>
It would be valuable if you could make VST latency measurements so we could compare using your other MIDI Interfaces.

On another topic - this was banned / deleted
<Aug 16, 2011>
Use the GR-55 Floorboard editor presents GR-55 controls in a manner that helps avoid deep menu navigation. I suggest everyone use the GR-55 Floorboard Editor:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

IMHO - The Yahoo MIDIGuitar list has a strong BIAS for their favorites, and is no longer the place for a free exchange of ideas.   

Spider

Quote from: Elantric on October 20, 2011, 11:31:20 AM

On another topic - this was banned / deleted
<Aug 16, 2011>
Use the GR-55 Floorboard editor presents GR-55 controls in a manner that helps avoid deep menu navigation. I suggest everyone use the GR-55 Floorboard Editor:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

IMHO - The Yahoo MIDIGuitar list has a strong BIAS for their favorites, and is no longer the place for a free exchange of ideas.

WTF????? What's wrong with superb FREE Gumtown' s editor...

3Play

I'm currently thinking about getting into guitarsynth, but I'd like to use the softsynths that I already own and use a laptop because my softsynths sound awesome and I like having a big, easy to use UI- especially for something as complex as guitar synthesizer.
So, this alleged Fishman offering has my interest piqued. And I'm loving the idea of the wireless!!

Couple of my thoughts regarding some of the comments above about wireless and :

"Separate Guitar Out" - I don't use modeling as my primary tone. Nothing against those who do, it's just not what makes me happiest. So, being an analog "purist," I don't have a problem with running my guitar 1/4" out separately. Even with the GK-3 I'd take a separate out. Yes, from the guitar AND have the 13 pin cable. (I know, right? Insanity.) But even if I used modeling and had the choice between a 13-pin proprietary cable and a standard 1/4" guitar cable I'd choose the standard 1/4". Plus, when I'm in the studio and just using the MIDI to drive synths in my DAW, I could be totally wireless and THAT's really where it would be convenient.

maxdaddy

I, personally, feel that the 13-pin interface is the weakest link in the whole system. I've had problems with cable ends as well as with the female jack on the VG99 and would love a wireless option that would let me eliminate one set of 13-pin connections.

Elantric

QuoteI, personally, feel that the 13-pin interface is the weakest link in the whole system. I've had problems with cable ends as well as with the female jack on the VG99 and would love a wireless option that would let me eliminate one set of 13-pin connections.

+1!

I absolutely hate the 13 pin cable!

We have other ideas on this thread:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4634.msg31671#msg31671

maxdaddy

Wow! I don't know how I missed that thread.

Very interesting....

thanks

rasqual

I wish Neutrik's push/pull connectors had become standard. I'm using the 8 pin form factor for the RMC pickups on my Blackbird Rider (nylon), and after a year its reliability is solid. That goes to McClish's pre-amp, which then gives me a mono out as well as the 13 pin. Heh.

For my part, I'm not as interested in synth as I am in just getting data into software from the guitar. And I think it's pathetic that a market that once offered this no longer has a darned thing. The electronics are a commodity and pricing on a simple interface should be under 3 digits. I simply can't believe there's no market for workstation use of a guitar for data entry while composing/arranging/scoring. Do people actually TYPE into GP6 or other software?

ARGH.

Glad to hear of the new development. I don't have much time to keep my eyes on the forums, though, since I spend all my time inputing data.     ;)

swarfrat

I think I'd be happy with an 8x cobranet or AES51 board - RJ45 is cheap, secure, compact, ubiquitous, and with POE support can power onboard stuff too. Please please please.

Elantric

QuoteFor my part, I'm not as interested in synth as I am in just getting data into software from the guitar. And I think it's pathetic that a market that once offered this no longer has a darned thing. The electronics are a commodity and pricing on a simple interface should be under 3 digits. I simply can't believe there's no market for workstation use of a guitar for data entry while composing/arranging/scoring. Do people actually TYPE into GP6 or other software?

A well setup VG-99 or GR-55 can enter MIDI data into Guitar Pro 6 for real time tabulature entry.

But most of time I just use a You Rock Guitar @ $150

But back to the topic of this thread - I will check out the Fishman booth at Winter NAMM next week, and hopefully be able to report back on their new wireless Guitar to MIDI interface.

vanceg

Well, Fishman DID show/announce a Wireless Guitar to MIDI product today at NAMM. Their website doesn't seem to yet have any info about it, though. Based on a "roland style" hex pickup which does the pitch to MIDI conversion and sends the signal wirelessly to a USB connected receiver. 

I didn't get a chance to try it much today - but more to follow!

audiotrax

Not sure if I posted this in the right place before, but I called Fishman a couple days ago.  Here's a copy of my post:

Hey everyone, I've been scouring the Internet for any new information I can find about the Fishman wireless MIDI guitar converter. No such luck, so I decided to go direct to the source. I called Fishman today and spoke to one of their representatives. He was really positive about the forthcoming unit and seemed to be really pleased in my interest.

As I'm paraphrasing information from a conversation that wasn't meant to be public I'll just keep it simple with what I got out of them:

I told him I'm a member of the V-Guitar Forum online and he seemed familiar with it. He didn't reflect that he knew there was a lot of interest and speculation about the device already. I mentioned that one of the main concerns people have about it at this point is if they'll be able to use their existing hex pick up guitars or their Godins, as the beta pictures of the Fishman showed it comes attached already to a hex pickup. I asked them if they had considered that they might be losing a large part of the market that is already into guitar to MIDI converters, because this would prevent them from using gear that they had already heavily invested in.

He seemed a little surprised by this question, and said he would bring it up to the team and that there was a very good possibility they would offer several different versions of the product. 

On asking him why they came up with a wireless design that doesn't include the output from your guitars regular pickups, he explained that the purpose of the device was to make it very simple for people toget into, so they wanted to keep the MIDI functionality of the guitar a separate process. This way there would be less confusion for beginners, (guitar goes direct to amp, MIDI gets injected directly into computer), and that the same reasoning would tie into why it comes included with a hardwired hexaphonic pickup.

On the price (and and this is some really good news!), he said that their marketing team really wanted to keep the price below $300, and that they definitely want to have it on the market by summer 2012.

I think he could tell I was pretty excited about this. I really wanted to reinforce the point to him that we MIDI guitarists feel there actually is a very large market for an affordable, reliable method of getting our guitars into MIDI equipment. At this price point (!) we will be having access to the most advanced conversion software developed, from a solid reputable company, at a price point pretty much anybody could afford. Is this good news or what?? Finally, it looks like there could be a real game changer out there for the everyman. That's pretty much all I could get out of him, and he let me know he really appreciated my interest, and invited me to call back at any time if I have feedback or questions about their product. I am so looking forward to this summer!

Ahh yes and videos.  There should definitely be demo vids from the NAMM show coming to You Tube this week
Owner of: VG-88, GI-10, Cubase 5, Kontakt, SampleTank, var VSTI's, Roland JV1080.  Strat with GK-2A, two Roland GR500 analog guitar synths

DC23

That's good and bad news haha.  Wish it was coming out sooner (been waiting for this one a while!).  So glad it's coming out though.  I knew there was a reason I couldn't get my hands on an Axon last year.  At the price point Fishman says they'll be offering it, I think they will have A LOT of interest.  I'd put my money down on one right now, but I don't think I'm the mass majority.  But, aside from using this to trigger software instruments (my main purpose) I know a lot of folks who gladly put down $100-200 on 'guitar'like' midi controller just so they could input notes into guitar pro and similar software.  At $300, if this works as accurately as Mr. Szalay says it does, it will be a no-brainer for a lot of folks!  If Fishman doesn't think people already know about this and want it, I'll call 'em and tell 'em myself! haha 

PS- the link below shows a picture of the unit, known as the Fishman Triple Play (just scroll down a bit).  Looks better than the prototype for sure!

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/126272-NAMM-2012-Coverage/page2

Elantric

rasqual

Quote from: audiotrax on January 19, 2012, 09:28:48 PM
He seemed a little surprised by this question...

See that's what scares me. In my work I've had vendors who give the same reaction to even the most obvious feedback, and I sometimes wonder whether they talked with anyone at all. When folks are amazed at things their intuition should have told them on day one, I worry about their entire development cycle, their presumptions -- it's just crazy. Not to impugn anyone, it just makes little sense. But it's good they're looking to expand the line. With the basic engine in the can, variations should just be an incremental dev cost.

I have a Nylon with RMC hex. The market for anything that'll get me to a DAW for a sane price is bone dry. I'll either look at parking one of these on a steel (not making me happy!) or wait and see what they come out with for existing 13 pin, Roland type folk.

Elantric

QuoteI mentioned that one of the main concerns people have about it at this point is if they'll be able to use their existing hex pick up guitars or their Godins, as the beta pictures of the Fishman showed it comes attached already to a hex pickup. I asked them if they had considered that they might be losing a large part of the market that is already into guitar to MIDI converters, because this would prevent them from using gear that they had already heavily invested in.

He seemed a little surprised by this question, and said he would bring it up to the team and that there was a very good possibility they would offer several different versions of the product. 

Actually there's hope - At NAMM I asked  Larry Fishman and Burr Johnson if versions of the TriplePlay would be available for piezo pickups and or internal kit versions of the TriplePlay system were in the works - and they told me YES!  They said that over the next 18 months a whole new line of products would be released using the core technology of what was displayed at NAMM.

audiotrax

Personally, I really think this device belongs in a pedal.  If you are trying to emulate other instruments from a guitar controller, it is imperative that you are left with something besides your two hands for real time expression control.  It's a major part of MIDI guitar technique.  I could not imagine using this without:

1: a Hold pedal, for freezing a lower chord or arpeggio in place while you play a melody on top of it.

2: a programable volume type pedal for modulation and filter sweeps.

3: a Sustain pedal to allow things like piano notes to smear into each other, or for making monophonic lines a continues legato for smooth lead playing.  Sustain is completely different from the Hold concept.

Almost every vid I've seen of MIDI guitar synth players shows that they are completely unaware of this, which results in that flat, staccato style of playing that sounds stiff and inappropriate to the instrument.  Why don't guitar players seem to be able to hear this?

For example an Oboe.  It breaths and swells along with the melody.  You NEVER hear a real wind player that just "flat-picks" out every note the same from beginning to end.

Piano players do note play every note with a cut off at the end staccato style.  They tastefully bring the sustain pedal in and out to make certain chords and passages flow into each other.

A good example of these techniques on a synth is Vangelis.  He is the master of bringing a synthesizer to life.  The notes are never simply played trigger style from the keyboard.  He uses pedals and every knob available to constantly evolve each note.  Check out some live vids of him on You Tube.  It's like a total education on synth playing.

I felt Roland dropped the ball on the GR-55 by only including one programmable footswitch, and by NOT including any other pedal inserts on the back!  How much would this have cost to add?  Why didn't they get rid of some of the other gimmicky features they stuck on the front.  In order to make this a really playable instrument, it is now no longer an all in the box device (like the previous VG-88 which had several programable insert points), but you are forced to buy an expensive, bulky add on footswitch pedal board for a pedal you already have sitting there.

Anyways, that's why I think it's kind of odd that they made the Fishman unit so it's a box stuck on the guitar and not on the floor.  This is going to make it really awkward and expensive once you get past the first "I can trigger a synth from my guitar" discovery.  There are so many GK, and Pieazo pickups already in use out there, not including the large user base of Godin nylons.....DUH!  It just wasn't a practical design choice.  Why do gear manufacturers always seem so thick in the head, when going just a little outside the idea box would result in a product that would earn them so many more returns?  Isn't that what business is about?  (Yes, I know they want to get you hooked on the idea, and then sell you the new improved version next year) but that isn't really what this post is about.  And a frustrated, pissed off customer is not really good business sense when you are trying to establish a market.  How many promising new products have we seen introduced, that died a quick death, because they weren't properly thought out first by the bean counters? How many people are going to be willing to shell out to buy the device twice? Rant over.
Owner of: VG-88, GI-10, Cubase 5, Kontakt, SampleTank, var VSTI's, Roland JV1080.  Strat with GK-2A, two Roland GR500 analog guitar synths

Orren Merton

Quote from: audiotrax on January 27, 2012, 12:05:24 AM
There are so many GK, and Pieazo pickups already in use out there

I think that terms like "so many" are relative. Compared to the number of people currently using the Fishman Triple Play (limited to employees, designers, and testers, I'm sure) there are definitely many, many more "Roland-ready" 13-pin systems out there. However, compared to the total number of guitarists out there, the number of guitarists who play 13-pin systems is minuscule. The number is so tiny, in fact, that the number of users has not been able to sustain those companies who have dabbled in it with the exception of Roland.

Fishman didn't design the Triple Play to appeal to you or me. They are trying to capture the imagination of the rest of the guitar market, who has never played a 13-pin instrument, has no interest in controlling any sort of synthesizer sound, but who has just gotten their first copy of Pro Tools (maybe with the Eleven Rack) or Logic Pro or Cubase and now has all these neat drum and bass and other instruments, but has no way to enter MIDI notes. That is a potentially huge market—a market that doesn't need any sort of expressive control, doesn't own (or ever want to own) any 13-pin system, etc. They don't even want to know what "MIDI" is, really, they just want to write songs with the one instrument they know how to play.

Of course, not being stupid, Fishman understands that there is an existing market of "MIDI guitarists" and I'm sure that's why they plan other products. But even if they come out with a product that is 100% of what you want, or 100% of what I want (and I'm sure those aren't the same things, BTW), you and I (and everyone on this forum) isn't enough to keep this a viable product, any more than our support was able to keep Blue Chip or Terratec producing the Axon, etc.

But I firmly believe that Fishman aimed this product at "Joe Guitar who just bought a DAW/just got into GarageBand" and we'll see how successful it is.

Personally I wish Fishman nothing but the absolute best with this. I hope they're right and it really catches on, because selfishly I am waiting for the internal circuit board that I can put into my guitars! But I know that this is my personal desire, and not the mainstream.

Orren

audiotrax

Personally I wish Fishman nothing but the absolute best with this.

I totally agree with you here.  When I talked to them they just said they would bring it up to the design team about possibly making a floor based model that works with existing hex pickup guitars.  Just saw Elantrics post in the other thread that indicates they really have been planning to do that as separate version of the device, once they introduce the Trible Play as a "starter" product.  This is really cool news for all of us.