GK-3- must the GK-3 PuP be exactly 1mm from strings?

Started by sheguitarplayer, October 29, 2009, 06:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheguitarplayer

Hi
First of all, Im new to the VG99 and the GK3. I have trawled the forum for advice on this and Im a bit baffled.
I bought my GK3s (2 of them) second hand. They were all missing a few of the fittings, all of which Ive been able to buy from Roland UK with the exception of the 'adjustment template' which is apparently now obsolete (according to Roland).
Ive tried to fit the pickups to a Les Paul and a PRs custom, having a fingerboard radius of 250 and 254 respectively.
Trouble is, even when I adjust the pickups to their 'flattest' setting there is still quite a curve accross the yoke. Enough so that if I get the pickup to the recommended distance from the 1st and 6th strings, it actually touches the 3rd and 4th strings. If I set them the recommended distance from the middle strings, then the 1st and 6th strings are a long way off.
The adjustment screw is obviously working on the pickups as I can clearly see the pole pieces moving.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brent Flash

I would get it as close as I can then compensate the strings that are too far with the string sensitivity settings. Let us know how that works.

sheguitarplayer

Thanks for the quick reply.
Ive done that and it seems to work OK, but there are a number of posts where it says that proper pickup adjustment is critical. I was wondering if there was something I had missed in the fitting process.
I also use them with a GR20. Tracking nightmares there, although thats probably a different story.....

Brent Flash

Quote from: sheguitarplayer on October 29, 2009, 07:47:58 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.
Ive done that and it seems to work OK, but there are a number of posts where it says that proper pickup adjustment is critical. I was wondering if there was something I had missed in the fitting process.
I also use them with a GR20. Tracking nightmares there, although thats probably a different story.....

I can't think of anything you may have missed. If the radius adjustment does not do it you have to just live with it or try another guitar. As for tracking make sure you try lowering the sensitivity on all your strings to see it that helps. I have heard reports that it has helped some members.

sheguitarplayer

Ok thanks for that. Interestingly, my reaction to the tracking was to turn the sensitivity up. That certainly explains where I am going wrong.
Just checked out some of your synth patches BTW. WOW!!

Brent Flash

Quote from: sheguitarplayer on October 29, 2009, 08:03:27 AM
Ok thanks for that. Interestingly, my reaction to the tracking was to turn the sensitivity up. That certainly explains where I am going wrong.
Just checked out some of your synth patches BTW. WOW!!
You will want to experiment with the sensitivity for tracking and let me add, some of the synth patches work better with hotter sensitivities. I guess that is why the VG lets you save GK settings with the patch if you need to.

Thanks for the WOW!! Any particular one you like best?

sheguitarplayer

I like 'em all, but 'Jump' and the B3 Rock Organ patches are simply awesome.

tightlow

Hello:
Setting up the bridge mount option with my Les Paul & going through a curcuitous set up procedure to optimize performance (not too bad at this moment), I keep confronting the fact that NONE of my individual GK-3 pickups are 1mm from their string; all are closer, say .5 to .8 mm.
To get them farther, I'd either have to bend the bracket I've attached the PuP to the bridge with, (and then it would be angling the GK-3 away from the strings) or maybe just remove the rubber pad from in between the PuP and it's bracket.
It may sound simple, but I'd have to bend the bridge bracket just right, and I'm not sure what purpose the rubber pad serves. Sometimes I look at the difficulty in guitar set-up that the bracket causes (hard to get the bridge low enough, forcing me to get a slight neck back bow to inadequately compensate), and think maybe I should just use adhesive pads & attach the GK-3 to the body...but I do wonder if the PuP isn't most effective RIGHT THERE next to the saddles...decisions, decisions.
Does that PuP distance to each string have to be exactly AT 1 MM for OPTIMAL performance?

Still getting confused by going back and forth from the spare Roland manual, and the multitude of other sources for information, and choosing the ORDER of adjustments.

Thanks!

gumtown

Based on my opinion,
closer than 1mm is OK but be careful when hard playing that the strings don't hit the pickup,
the sound of string buzz on GK pickups is not good.
Hopefully there is enough adjustment in the GK string level setup settings to prevent overload/distortion.

The 1mm is a recommendation as many mount the pickup too far from the strings,
closer to the bridge = closer to the strings = better tracking/quicker note recognition as there is less string offset transient from picking of the strings which causes longer pitch recognition times and octave ghost notes.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

whippinpost91850

You should be plenty safe as long as the strings aren't hitting the pickup when you play hard

whippinpost91850

As usual Elantric and Gumtown beat me to the punch

tightlow

Thanks guys:
I have a moderate amount of ghost notes/ mistracking, but assume with a fully optimized setup of the PuP and the internal controls (which I don't think I've fully addressed, as I'm confused about it), it will be really good. Considering the technique involved, and the addicive focus on it, I think I could get it close to perfect as it is...I have to remember to get up and drink water!

One question...supposing a player has great technique and an optimized setup (though with low strings)...
Can one expect to have mistracked notes/ glitches from time to time anyway?

For a novice at actually applying myself to this setup, I feel it's a great start. I don't want unrealistic expectations, though.
Thanks.

Elantric

What product are you connected too? (we have Forums for several different products here and each employs a different set of criteria to handle "ghost notes.

As always start reading the "TOP THINGS TO KNOW" threads

I'll assume its a GR-55 you need help with

Read 
GR-55 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

AND download and read all these GR-55 guru docs that are only available to GR-55 insiders here at VGuitarforums:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=18

QuoteDoes that PuP distance to each string have to be exactly AT 1 MM for OPTIMAL performance?

No - its not a hard and fast rule -
and also be aware that the GK PU height measurement of 1mm is AFTER you fret the strings at your highest Fret (21, 22, 24, etc)

If you set the GK PU to 1mm - WITHOUT fretting the strings at the highest fret - you WILL have Big problems as the strings "slap" the top of the GK PU as you play higher up the fretboard.

Follow the detailed GK-3 install instructions Roland has provided here:
http://roland.com/V-Guitar/howto.html
http://roland.com/V-Guitar/howto_st.html
Its also important to say that the happiest GR-55 owners are those who took the time to re- read the GR-55 FAQ  - several times !   

GR-55 F.A.Q.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3137

tightlow

Thanks Elantric:
Yeah, definitely a GR-55.
I will look at those links specifically. Thankfully I'm not hitting any of the GK3 sensors on fretting the 22nd position. Nothing that awful. I can usually address all glitches/ extra notes/ dead notes with technique, though I'd assume by many posts here, that this can be substantially improved through optimization, Knowledge and time. It (looks) as if Roland has put quite a lot of work to allow this machine to be customizeable. My questions could get too numerous, so I'll try to limit to one at a time, after I've searched and worked.
So far, I guess the great news is this appears to be a keeper. Just a few tweaks to setup (a tad lower and better balanced string height) and some GK-3 tweaks/ internal tweaks, and I may never leave my house again.

Thanks...the continued mind-blowing thing here is, as I focus on sounding and feeling just like a piano player, it makes me conceive of voicings/ inversions much more readily than with guitar sounds-even though I push this to all my students.
The simple fact of sounding like the instrumentalist we're trying to play like, it makes me much bolder...and there's the naivete' factor. Like being a fourteen year old again, I just try crazy fingerings without considering whether it can be done. I'm so glad most of the guitar world has failed to "get" what a guitar synth is all about. Innovation, and not just a toy. It leaves room for real discovery, and a chance to break away from decades of conditioning.
i'll be playing and reading and adjusting 'til I drop.