Tyler Variax - Battery failing...

Started by Fenderflame, January 11, 2017, 11:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenderflame

Hi

I've had my JTV59 for around 15 months. I play around 3-4 hours a week but recently I can only get the battery to charge up to 2 pips out of the 4. It doesn't matter if I leave it on charge for longer or switch the charger on and off a few times, 2 pips is all I get.

What bugs me is that it's £38 for a battery that looks to me to be EXACTLY like this one at £16:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PSRFLO?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=idealouk-aw1-21&ascsubtag=AazH_hy4Rv4D3Oq0gfRQjg

I don't particularly mind paying for batteries IF they are good batteries. Double the market value for something that performs poorly just seems bad value.

Did I get a bad battery or is this the experience of others?

Elantric

Its true the Tyler Variax battery life is rather poor

My experience is if I charge the battery full on a Monday, and install in the guitar , and dont even play the guitar for 4 -5 days, surely by Friday the battery will be dead.

QuoteWhat bugs me is that it's £38 for a battery that looks to me to be EXACTLY like this one at £16:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PSRFLO?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=idealouk-aw1-21&ascsubtag=AazH_hy4Rv4D3Oq0gfRQjg

Due to current UL/CE regulations, many  Li-Ion batteries have internal verification chips which prevents the identical looking  Sony NP-F550 batteries to function in a Tyler Variax 

I end up removing the Battery from the Tyler Variax  - and use a Variax VDI Ethercon cable with an external power source - (Helix, HD500X) or the a 1/4" TRS cable with an old original Variax Floor DI  / Power supply at the gigs

I cant trust the expensive Line-6 batteries to last a 4 hour gig     

Fenderflame

Update:

I emailed tech support at Line6 and they said that the battery has a 2 year warranty. I took it into Yamaha music in London. They don't keep stock of Variax batteries! I sent it to the UK repair agent for Line6 and they have replaced it free of charge. I now have 4 pips again.

Case is closed m'lud.