GR-55 Bug List for submission to Roland Corp.

Started by jcmidi, February 06, 2011, 07:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vguitarforums

The following looked like a bug, but it is not a bug !

AMP / TYPE / SWITCH = ON is not saved.
In one of my user patches, I tried to turn on AMP, ie. AMP / TYPE / SWITCH = ON, and then save it...
After save, or when I recall this patch AMP / TYPE / SWITCH is still OFF !
I also tried to save it in a different location, not solved.

In fact, I found this parameter was overwritten by a controller assignment (see Controller Assignments NOTE p.63)

ddlooping

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum, aas. :)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

vguitarforums

Thanks ddlooping !

I hope Roland will release next firmware version with a small indicator after the default value of the parameter, saying this parameter is controlled. Because when you work with a lot of controllers is very tough to remember which parameter is controlled, especially if you start from old preset.

mbenigni

QuoteI reported one to Roland as well. It seems like for PCM 1 tone you can change octave but if you try to do to PCM 2 and then go to save it , it doesn't save the changes. You can get around by changing pitch for pcm2 to +12 but it shouldn't work this way.

Witelite - I ran into this same problem last night, and wasted a lot of time trying to get to the bottom of it.  :(  Just before I shutdown for the night, I noticed that the patch I'd been editing had a CTL assignment pertaining to PCM2 Octave buried in slot 2 of the assignments screen.  I'd already applied your pitch detune workaround by this time, so I'm not 100% certain this explains the problem, but I'd put good money on it.

It definitely bears repeating:  if you're designing a patch from the ground up, begin by INITIALIZING.

mariogag

Quote from: aas on February 19, 2011, 08:16:51 AM
The following looked like a bug, but it is not a bug !

AMP / TYPE / SWITCH = ON is not saved.
In one of my user patches, I tried to turn on AMP, ie. AMP / TYPE / SWITCH = ON, and then save it...
After save, or when I recall this patch AMP / TYPE / SWITCH is still OFF !
I also tried to save it in a different location, not solved.

In fact, I found this parameter was overwritten by a controller assignment (see Controller Assignments NOTE p.63)

:-\

I ran into something like it but for me it was the COSM MODEL ON/OFF parameter in the TONE tab. I just coudn't save
it as ON. But I was trying different things with the CTRL/EXP/EXP SW/etc. to figure out how to program them so god knows where the problem was. I got tired, I ditched the patch, went back to the original one and the problem was gone... :-*

M

3dognate

Quote from: mbenigni on February 22, 2011, 07:59:25 AM

Witelite - I ran into this same problem last night, and wasted a lot of time trying to get to the bottom of it.  :(  Just before I shutdown for the night, I noticed that the patch I'd been editing had a CTL assignment pertaining to PCM2 Octave buried in slot 2 of the assignments screen.  I'd already applied your pitch detune workaround by this time, so I'm not 100% certain this explains the problem, but I'd put good money on it.

It definitely bears repeating:  if you're designing a patch from the ground up, begin by INITIALIZING.

This aint our old GR-20 for sure... that thing was actually idiot proof... the GR-55... no so much.
>>> http://www.tddRocks.com <<<

My live rig consists of:
-Noel Custom Guitars both GK and Ghost Equipped
-Digitech GSP1101 + Control2
-Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth
-EV ELX112P FRFR monitors
-Gator Cases
-Miller High-Life

Nokie

I'm experiencing "saving" problems on the GR-55 as well. I usually have success saving my patches but occasionally they don't take. I am indeed in the User bank when I do this. For example, I can copy a steel string acoustic modeling patch to the User bank successfully. When I go in and change the new patch from steel acoustic to nylon acoustic, it will play as nylon and allow me to write it getting me back to the name screen but after saving, it reverts back to the steel acoustic setting. I double check to make sure I'm really in User and try the process again but no luck. The change will not take. So I try again changing another User patch to nylon acoustic and it might work fine. -Marty

ddlooping

Marty, make sure it's not caused by assignments:
Edit => Master => Assignments

ddlooping

P.S: one way to check the above, once you've saved the patch, is to press the CTRL pedal, use the EXP pedal and EXP switch to see if they switch on PCM2.

res075oh@gte.net

[Old post; but I'm trying to learn wherever I can]:  I always edit in lead, rhythm or other patches and then save them to a user slot.  That's how I understand the directions.  Is that wrong???

Thanks,
James

Quote from: Elantric on February 12, 2011, 06:37:31 AM
You may edit a USER Patch.

You may NOT Edit a factory Preset patch.

Be sure you are in the USER bank of patches, prior to editing.

ddlooping

Quote from: res075oh@gte.net on February 24, 2011, 07:59:56 PM
I always edit in lead, rhythm or other patches and then save them to a user slot.  That's how I understand the directions.  Is that wrong???
I don't see why it would be. It works fine for me. :)

gumtown

Quote from: res075oh@gte.net on February 24, 2011, 07:59:56 PM
[Old post; but I'm trying to learn wherever I can]:  I always edit in lead, rhythm or other patches and then save them to a user slot.  That's how I understand the directions.  Is that wrong???

Thanks,
James

You can edit any patch you like, either User 1~297, Lead, Rhythm, or Other. But you can only write/save them in a User patch allocation (1~297).
When selecting any patch, it's contents are transferred to the GR-55's internal "temporary" memory location (the area of unsaved data which may have been modified), this memory is wiped when the GR-55 is powered 'off', and requires transferring/writing to a User patch memory location if you want the edited contents saved...
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Nokie

Quote from: ddlooping on February 24, 2011, 07:10:51 PM
Marty, make sure it's not caused by assignments:
Edit => Master => Assignments

Great suggestion. That makes perfect sense. I'll investigate. Thanks!

mbenigni

(Deleted yesterday's bug report re: MOD block panning after failing to duplicate last night.  Must have been driver error.  Sorry for the false alarm.)

FrankG

My GR-55 locked last night, in that it would play the patch it was on, but not advance to other patches, or styles ie; Lead, Rhythm, Other Etc... and none of the buttons like enter or edit were responsive, and would not shut down via the power button... To reset I had to pull the plug...

In all fairness I cycled the power switch quickly so the unit may have been staying "On" due to residual charge in the caps internally (but not likely)...

I was using a "User" patch that has been working fine and the problem has not resurfaced yet this A.M...

the power to do nothing is tremendous, but it must not be abused...

Gastric

There are sometimes, but not always, a 1-2 second rubbery ramping portamento type glitch when changing patches that use PCM.

I happen to be running in Bass Mode. I have not tried in Guitar Mode.

* Init two adjacent patches
* Set Patch 1 PCM1 tone = 275
* Set Patch 2 PCM1 tone = 276
* Play and switch from Patch 1 to Patch 2
* Note it takes about 1-2 seconds before Patch 2 starts sounding correct
* Play and switch back from Patch 2 to Patch 1, a similar issue does not exist

As best I can tell it's related to specific PCM tones, such as #276. It must take a while to initialize their performance or something. But it's an issue to be aware of.

HCarlH

I am unable to switch patch location using Patch Exchange as mentioned on page 60.

The focus is on the first patch and the UP and Down arrows around the spin wheel will not move the focus to the lower patch.

These are both User patches.
GR-55 (or) Fishman TP + Kemper Profiling Rack -->> 
QSC K10 -->> FOH
Fender Squier Stratocaster Bullet (w/GK3), Ibanez AM93 (w/FTP pickup),  Stratocaster (w/FTP pickup)

Telecaster, Charvel SoCal ProMod, Gibson Les Paul, PV Wolfgang,

HCarlH

Quote from:  ddlooping
Are you trying to exchange a user patch with a non-user patch by any chance?

No.
QSC K10 -->> FOH
Fender Squier Stratocaster Bullet (w/GK3), Ibanez AM93 (w/FTP pickup),  Stratocaster (w/FTP pickup)

Brent Flash

Quote from: hcarlh on March 10, 2011, 02:07:09 PM
I am unable to switch patch location using Patch Exchange as mentioned on page 60.

The focus is on the first patch and the UP and Down arrows around the spin wheel will not move the focus to the lower patch.

These are both User patches.
You don't need to change the focus to the lower patch.

* You can't change the order of the preset patches.
1. Select a user patch. One of the ones you want to exchange.
2. Press the [WRITE] button.
3. Use the PAGE [<] [>] buttons to select the EXCHANGE tab.
The screen shows the number and name of the exchange destination
patch.

4. Use the dial to specify the desired exchange-destination
patch.

5. Press the [WRITE] button.
The screen will indicate "NOW EXCHANGING..." and the current patch
will be exchanged with the patch you specified.

If you decide not to exchange, press the [EXIT] button.

HCarlH

Quote from: Brent Flash on March 10, 2011, 02:32:25 PM
You don't need to change the focus to the lower patch.

* You can't change the order of the preset patches.
1. Select a user patch. One of the ones you want to exchange.
2. Press the [WRITE] button.
3. Use the PAGE [<] [>] buttons to select the EXCHANGE tab.
The screen shows the number and name of the exchange destination
patch.

4. Use the dial to specify the desired exchange-destination
patch.

5. Press the [WRITE] button.
The screen will indicate "NOW EXCHANGING..." and the current patch
will be exchanged with the patch you specified.

If you decide not to exchange, press the [EXIT] button.

LMAO    ;D

Wow.....I can't believe my brain thinks this way...( I must start with the FROM patch and then move to the TO patch.    ::)   )

Thanks Brent....as I slink away with my tail between my legs.
QSC K10 -->> FOH

Brent Flash

Quote from: hcarlh on March 10, 2011, 03:03:40 PM

LMAO    ;D

Wow.....I can't believe my brain thinks this way...( I must start with the FROM patch and then move to the TO patch.    ::)   )

Thanks Brent....as I slink away with my tail between my legs.
I can see if you just try to do it, you would think that is the way it works (the way you were trying) but NOT! :o
Glad I could help!

FrankG

Per my previous Bug Post... the GR-55 has locked-up twice since posting...

I did verify that the Power switch was inoperative so it is not a true Make break switch but closer to and ATX power supply that is essentially always on.

So to re-cap the GR-55 is locked on the current voice, plays fine but can't be advanced to other voices and all input buttons are inoperable...

Possible cause... The GR-55 is still tied to a PC for config and patch back-up via the USB... The last time the unit locked, I went to check the PC to see if the Flr-Brd App could change the voices or access the GR-55...

With a blank-screen, I moved the mouse to "Wake-UP" the PC and instantly the GR-55 advanced the patches as I'd applied the buttons and dial wheel, and then powered off (I think  ::) because it happened pretty quick and it was late on Friday night)...

So it looks like when the PC goes in to suspend or power-save mode (whatever) it is the problem (VIA the USB connection)...

Will only know for sure once the GR-55 is stand alone from the PC...
the power to do nothing is tremendous, but it must not be abused...

Elantric

What you describe is expected behavior. If your GR-55 is connected to a PC that has gone into power suspend mode, the USB port shuts down, and the GR-55 will sit there awaiting a USB handshake that never arrives,(essentially appearing to be "locked up") until the PC wakes up.

jazzytao

?Hi all,
thank god this forum is here..
right..just got the GR-55 which so far ,is a good and useful tool.
Having a patch writing issue..
On the 'Legato Solo' patch i cant seem to save a version with the Lp pickup set to rear..
it just keeps going back to the front setting  when i save/change to the patch..
is this a bug or user error ..has anyone else found this to be the case?
..any solutions welcome..
cheers,
-ross

ddlooping

Welcome to the forum, Ross. :)

Quote from: jazzytao on March 19, 2011, 07:24:23 AM
On the 'Legato Solo' patch i cant seem to save a version with the Lp pickup set to rear..
it just keeps going back to the front setting  when i save/change to the patch..

This is more than likely due to an assignment (manual, page 54). ;)