Oh gosh I have a GP-10 somehow.....

Started by aliensporebomb, November 25, 2016, 03:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

A GP-10 in new condition showed up at my local store at a great price (and since it was black friday another 10% off that made it unbeatable) and I figured it would be a cool way to get access to the multichannel/reamping features and check out the COSM/AMP/Guitar feature updates since VG-99 was released.

I'm not getting rid of my VG-99 but this will be a nice way to augment it.

Somebody stop me.  Soon I'll have a GR-55, SY-300 and another VG-99 before long but I figure I'd announce my acquisition to those people that understand.

:-)
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

GuitarBuilder

I'm afraid my hands are tied!   ;D ;D ;D

Enjoy your new GP-10!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

whippinpost91850

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

carlb

Bwah-hah-hah! Your fate has been sealed: just try to resist the sound quality from the GP-10.

Seriously, although it can't do as much as the VG-99, it sounds much better to my ears for things that it can.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

pasha811

VG99 + GP10 'Sonic Wall'! Well done!  :)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Headless68

be prepared to fall in love with the form factor & the reverbs - but miss the routing & FX options & parallel channels of the 99 :-)
I found the non guitar side to be quite glitchy compared to previous V processors
But - I do wish for a GP20 :-) 

sixeight

And you will discover soon that you really need a MIDX-20...😁

That is the problem: new gear always requires other new gear...

But do enjoy the GP10. I find I play it more often than the VG99...

alexmcginness

The only issue I have with the GP 10 is the alternate tuning anomolies. Sadly they wont get fixed. I still use the 99 for live use because of this issue. In the studio with some of the great patches available here on the forum, it just shines.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

aliensporebomb

That's the other thing - I definitely see this as more easy to gig with than my VG-99/FC-300.  That setup is massively capable and I've got patches there I could never duplicate on this but the convenience of this and some of the upgrades are really compelling.  Like the 99, there are bugs and things you need to workaround to get the most out of it but I'm sort of used to that now...and yes, some kind of US-2 clone/instant patcher would be nice.

Rhcole

I have owned them all since the VG-99. The GP-10 is my favorite for improving on the little things that didn't work for me in prior products. An example is what happens when you blend your mag pickups in with a COSM instrument. On the VG-99, mags lost brightness, added noise, and many blends sounded thinner, possibly due to phase relationships between the signals. The GP-10 is much improved in this area, small but significant for my needs.

Majiken

Now that I have a magnificent Gumbo Synth-Linx jack in my Godin LGX-T hooked via Gittler cable to my GP-10 I am stoked on having full control (on standard tuning at least) to mix the model, mags and piezo system simultaneously.  Matter of fact, my solo "oldies night" gig was the first full night of just Godin and banjo, as my main acoustic developed a nasty rattle during soundcheck and I didn't want to play it.  Turned out great! Had a bad cold so I did a lot of songs a whole step down- no problem, open E, 12 string, faded a sitar into the mags for "Games People Play" and "Norwegian Wood", kept them heads turned with all coming at a moment's notice from a single guitar :-D.

Always wanted to at least try a VG-99, never got a chance to.  Enamored of all that connectivity....
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Brak(E)man

I've complained about the GP before and I'll only say this ,
The mag PUs works better IMO on VG88 theres also some much better synth emulations on VG 88 and no alt tuning anomalies , the advantages with GP are the size , GR300 , the control assignment , soundcard , I really don't see any improvement in guitar modeling nor amps or fx, all this compared to VG 88 , which its closest to in one way.
The huge downside is the alt tuning.

Compared to VG 99 it's way substandard with the exception of GR300 attack

But I'm using it both in the studio and live
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

roachone

I don't use the alt tuning a lot, but whats wrong with it? The only one I have used is open g and it seemed to work ok.

alexmcginness

Quote from: roachone on November 27, 2016, 07:18:59 AM
I don't use the alt tuning a lot, but whats wrong with it? The only one I have used is open g and it seemed to work ok.

theres warble on some strings. It seems to be guitar dependant. Others have noticed it as well.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

vtgearhead

Quote from: sixeight on November 26, 2016, 06:50:10 AM
And you will discover soon that you really need a MIDX-20...😁

That is the problem: new gear always requires other new gear...

This is known in the literature as the "Law of Contiguous Expense".

vtgearhead

Quote from: aliensporebomb on November 25, 2016, 03:32:20 PM
Soon I'll have a GR-55, SY-300 and another VG-99 before long but I figure I'd announce my acquisition to those people that understand.

I can help with the GR-55.  I've been trying to sell mine for a couple of weeks with no bites.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: alexmcginness on November 27, 2016, 07:26:28 AM
theres warble on some strings. It seems to be guitar dependant. Others have noticed it as well.

It might be guitar dependant but the same guitars work on all the VGs

- Lydia Lunch

BMapson

I started with the GR-55.  Then a GP-10.  Then two VG-99s.   ;D

I like the GP-10 for the guitar stuff, but like someone mentioned, the MIDX-20 will be a welcome addition as the waiting list is worked though. 

Of the three different devices, my GR-55 is used far less than anything else these days.

aliensporebomb

After a few days there's a lot to like about this tiny little box (that kind of reminds me of my old GR-100 in personality and how it presents itself).

I sure wish the improvements in the acoustic, electric and amplifier models could be imported into my VG-99 - this is a lot of fun just playing regular old rock and roll guitar. 

The program I created for rock distorted lead/rhythm guitar on the VG-99 probably can be "cross-imported" to the GP-10 and possibly be even better than it already is and it's the best I've found for sounding like my analog rig.

The synth models range from "wow, that sounds like a Polymoog" to "that's kind of piercing" to "hey, dubstep!" to "whoa, Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield had a party!"

Weirdly, whoever did the factory presets here did a pretty reasonable to good job - the electric and acoustic guitar models in particular.  The acoustic guitars have more "air" and the electric guitars somehow have more clarity.  I think my "dynamics trick" on the VG can be used here to, to good effect.

Bargain of the year!

Brak(E)man

I'm still missing the synth like patches you made on the 99 that mostly was derived from pitched guitars ( to simplify ) maybe you can find something similar on GP10

- Lydia Lunch

pasha811

Quote from: aliensporebomb on November 30, 2016, 05:38:36 AM
The synth models range from "wow, that sounds like a Polymoog" to "that's kind of piercing" to "hey, dubstep!" to "whoa, Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield had a party!"

ASB, as many have already said you're my reference point for ambient patches and synth alike.
When you're referring to synth models are talking about OSC right? Or am I missing something?
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Brak(E)man on December 02, 2016, 06:01:45 AM
I'm still missing the synth like patches you made on the 99 that mostly was derived from pitched guitars ( to simplify ) maybe you can find something similar on GP10

Still making those actually.  I probably have two dozen in various states of assembly.  I'll never get to the end of my explorations on that box.

As far as the GP-10 - in some ways having actual synth oscs onboard is like cheating in a way.  But I've yet to even start programming on that unit yet.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: pasha811 on December 02, 2016, 10:53:05 AM
ASB, as many have already said you're my reference point for ambient patches and synth alike.
When you're referring to synth models are talking about OSC right? Or am I missing something?

Given that I'm still getting acquainted with the innards of the GP, I'm not sure either.  It looks like some of the sounds I've found that are interesting are heavily processed guitar with slow attacks.  Some of them are actual synth inside that unit and processed.  Hmmmm.  Quite interesting. 

gumbo

Given your past successes, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with on the GP-10   8)

Love the stuff you make!

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...