VG-99 patch for Saul Goodman theme? Nice raw guitar sound there...

Started by mooncaine, May 24, 2016, 04:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

How would you cop this sound on a VG-99?

Here's a nice long loop of the theme from Saul Goodman (I don't think the 'theme' is actually any more than a 2 or 3 bar snippet anyway).

Smash

Written by UK band Little Barrie

This may help get closer to the equipment used...

Smash

Quote from: Smash on May 25, 2016, 01:55:39 PM
Written by UK band Little Barrie

This may help get closer to the equipment used...how good are your eyes!

! No longer available

mooncaine

Thanks! That artfully distressed video makes it a little tough to see the details, but I got this general idea from it:

An f-hole guitar w humbuckers (I was thinking p90 but what do I know?) into a combo amp that's dialed up in the midrange, but down in the bass and treble. High action would help get that tone best. I can't see, but I'm guessing that both pickups are on.

Guitar's close to the amp, making sustaining feedback easy & likely, but gain isn't very high, just a little dirty.

The mic is quite far from the amp, and we're hearing the bounces off the small room they're in. That's a big part of what confused me about getting the sound: how much of the woody resonance I'm hearing is because it's an f-hole guitar, vs. because it's mic'd across a small room with room reverb?

My VG-99 options seem to point to a Vari Guitar model with f-hole and humbuckers, both pickups together, into a Vox model. Will try that first. Will play with body params in the model, and if I use the Reverb effect, will try "Ambience" first.

Smash

Put a compressor after the reverb....that should get you ballpark :)

mooncaine

Smash

Welcome. Try using one of the mod block Advanced compressors like the dyno one - it has a very definite "bloom" that should suit your needs ;)