VG-99- Digital Fizz in acoustic models

Started by cy2989, October 09, 2008, 06:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cy2989

Hi everyone,

I'm hearing a sort of fizz sound when I use acoustic models that I don't hear with the electric models.  I'm trying to figure out where it stems from and how to reduce or eliminate it.  Does anyone else hear this?  After the initial string attack if I let the strings sustain I hear it.  Compression certainly makes it worse as it boosts the noise/artifact but it is there even without compression.  I can reduce it by EQing out treble but then I lose the glassy sparkle.  It might actual come from my guitar in the way of preamp hiss but I'm not sure and I don't have a second guitar to test with.  Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
Chris

VG-99, GR-20, GI-20, US-20
custom Parker Fly w/GK-3, custom Silent Guitar w/Ghost

Brent Flash

Quote from: cy2989 on October 09, 2008, 06:56:13 AM
I'm hearing a sort of fizz sound when I use acoustic models that I don't hear with the electric models.  I'm trying to figure out where it stems from and how to reduce or eliminate it.  Does anyone else hear this?  After the initial string attack if I let the strings sustain I hear it.  Compression certainly makes it worse as it boosts the noise/artifact but it is there even without compression.  I can reduce it by EQing out treble but then I lose the glassy sparkle.  Any help would be appreciated.
Hey Chris,
You may want to check the gain structure of the patches you are hearing this on. You can do this by hitting the CHAIN button and move the curser to each point while playing. The proper gain setting at each point will no go all the way to the top when you play hard.

What I have found is that compression is usually the worst culprit of this but any point where the gain is boosted by say FX,EQ, or preamp gain can do it.

Because of all the variables I cannot be more specific, sorry.

cy2989

Hi Brent,

Thanks for your reply.  So would you say that the optimum gain structure is one where each stage is as high as possible without saturation? 

I don't hear the fizz on electric or synth models.  I'm wondering if I'm hearing some sort of digital artifact of the acoustic models?

Chris
Chris

Brent Flash

cy2989

Brent,

I'm using Ghost hexpander.

Chris
Chris

Brent Flash

Quote from: cy2989 on October 11, 2008, 05:23:35 AM
Brent,

I'm using Ghost hexpander.

Chris
Chris, it may be your pickup causing some of this. I don't know anything about the Ghost system so I am hoping someone who has one could chime in and make sure you have it set up right. Sorry  ::)

As for gain settings I usually try to get most of my gain pretty high right from the guitar so I don't have to boost any FX or EQ just to get a good level. But it seems that this method does not always apply for all COSM Guitar models.

Elantric

In my experience, the Ghost Hexpander ran a quite hot signal  - this helps other GK rigs, (Axon)  but needs to be dealt with for the VG-99
- had to:

* Use the "Piezo -G" Gk PU type assignment

* lower the String sensitivity - which means at FULL Attack keep the Level Bar indicator one step below Max (typically "20-30" range for me)

* Use the new GK PU Piezo EQ and reduce the Bass. 

Also I find Graphtech Ghost Pickup preamp exhibits a fair amount of hiss and noise - compared to RMC Piezo preamps 

cy2989

Thanks guys, I'll do some experimenting.  I currently have two stored string sensitivity settings.  I have found that some of my patches sound better with the hotter setting.  The electric models especially.

Chris
Chris

Elantric

chrish

Yes, i hear the fizz that the op describes on acoustic models and started a new thread on  before i did a google search and this thread came up first (may have come across this one before). As stated in the other thread, i'm using a gk-3 and getting a hot signal on my g string at a setting of 7. It's even hot at 0. The rest at between 20 and 30. Good advice hear for troubleshooting. I'll put on a gk-2 and see what happens.

Elantric

The VG-99 is a great unit - but it is using 2006 era DSP hardware and 2006 era COSM algorithms

Many VG-99 users  find need to enable the Roland  "N.S" (Noise Suppressor) on the GK COSM Models for the Acoustic Models.

This is a specific area where the Boss GP-10 has addressed with lower noise on its  GK Models  thanks to 2014 era DSP hardware and code 

chrish

Good tip. I remember my first  digital pre-amp processer, the roland gs-6. It had distortion, 1 sec delay, reverb, chorus, ns,  hum cancel and midi. I thought that the gs-6 was 'da kind' until one night at a bar gig, i turned my rig over to the new master guitar player in town. After he sat in for awhile i asked him what he thought about the gs-6. He said he heard a noise that followed every note. Sure enough, there was a digital artifact at high volumes that i had not even noticed. Buying an ADA MP-2 analog preamp took care of that problem. I still have the gs-6 though. Good lights and buttons.