Godin LGXT - LOW E sounds muffled on piezo only

Started by ztones, July 13, 2009, 07:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ztones

I have a Godin LGXT.  Yesterday, the LOW E started to sound very muffled in tone (loss of highs) and lower in signal.  THis is only a problem with the piezo output.  The regular magnetics sound fine.  Its still outputting, its not totally dead, but its definitely different from the the other string outputs.  Could it be a bad piezo pickup on that string or is this something else?  Thanks!

Brent Flash

Did you make any adjustments to that string or change the string? Sounds like it could be a bad one or the string is not making good contact.

ztones

Thanks for the quick response!  No, I have not changed the strings in the last 2 weeks.  It was fine until yesterday.  I had loosened the string in an effort to move / tap...find some poss cause, but to no avail.  The contact is good.  Is this something that I can replace myself?  Is it even possible to just buy one single piezo pickup? I have never come across this kind of problem in 25 years of playing.  Is there a way to better pinpoint if its the piezo itself of something at the other end of the connection on the circuit board? 

ztones

Does anyone know where I can get one of the piezo pickups for the GODIN LGXT?  Is this something that can easily be replaced or should it be done professionally only?

Elantric

hmm - lets see - perhaps contact Godin? (or RMC Pickups)

The Godin Guitar Company
19420 Avenue Clark-Graham
Baie-D'Urfe Quebec Canada
      H9X 3R8

Tel (514) 457-7977 ext.135
Fax (514) 457-5774

info@godinguitars.com
http://www.godinguitars.com/

RMC Pickups
http://www.rmcpickup.com/
info@rmcmusic.com

or write us at

RMC Pickup Co.
1739 Addison #15
Berkeley CA 94703

ztones

"Appreciate" the sarcasm.  As if aftermarket parts by other manufacturers were SOOOO unheard of.

ztones

BTW, Godin has not responded in 2 days.

big_jan

the kind man at RMC replies to all emails. check him out at e-mail us at info@rmcmusic.com

or write us at

RMC Pickup Co.
1739 Addison #15
Berkeley CA 94703

germanicus

Quote from: ztones on July 15, 2009, 08:48:27 PM
BTW, Godin has not responded in 2 days.

In all likelihood, Godin will tell you to take it to an authorized service center. That was the case when I needed a piezo replaced in my old xtsa. Try contacting authorized dealers and asking if they service Godins. http://www.godinguitars.com/dealersus.htm

It cost me something like 40 bucks or so.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Elantric

It may be cured simply by verifying the Piezo saddle is at a perfect right angle to the string it supports. During intonation, its possible the saddle can become "tilted" and askew. The Piezo output will be significantly reduced if the saddle becomes tilted, and not responding to the full downward pressure from the vibrating string. Its often cured by taking long needle nose pliers and carefully rotate the saddle 2-3 degrees - while listening for max output.

ztones

Godin finally wrote back.  They said to clean with isopropyl alcohol and change the battery and the sting.  I did that.  After a GOOD cleaning, the low E sounded amazing once again! However, after about 10 minutes it started to "fade back" into its muffled sound. I cleaned it again. I checked to make sure the saddle sat nice and tight and at the right angle. It sounded good again for about 10 minutes. this pattern continues. After a very through alcohol cleaning it sounds good for a while, then it goes back to its muffledness. VERY WEIRD!!!!! Its as if while its wet from the alcohol it sounds good, then as it evaporates it goes back to its muffled sound.  What else could explain the temporary fix?

Has anyone experienced such a thing? Its driving me crazy and I need it for gigs! Please help. Thanks!

By the way, I thought wile using the 13 pin cable, the charge comes from the 13 pin cable and the battery is not needeed.  I actually took the battery out and it worked fine.  I was confused why Godin said to change the battery when I told them I was using it with the 13 pin.

bob e

I had trouble with my Brian Moore piezo on the D string.  Tried eveything.  Finally too the entire bridge assemly apart, floyd rose tremelo, everything.  I found the lead from the D string piezo was pinched as in ran thru a too small slot in the trem block.  Made the stot bigger and wound up lightly glueing the leads into the channels routed for them so during reassembly everything stayed in place.  I also found the group of 6 leads was wedged between the block and body because they slide out of place.  Things have been much better.  No mystery drop outs of the D and G strings.  My first ever effort like that and while a super pain, seems to have helped.

ztones

Thanks for the lead.  I couldn't find any tight or pinched leads or wires.  The fact that it works fine for 10 minutes after each cleaning is mysterious.  I thought that the alcohol helped with the electrical contact between the string and the saddle b/c that's what its acting like...so I tried some water, bt that didn't help at all so I dont know...

germanicus

Quote from: ztones on August 08, 2009, 12:13:13 PM
Godin finally wrote back.  They said to clean with isopropyl alcohol and change the battery and the sting.  I did that.  After a GOOD cleaning, the low E sounded amazing once again! However, after about 10 minutes it started to "fade back" into its muffled sound. I cleaned it again. I checked to make sure the saddle sat nice and tight and at the right angle. It sounded good again for about 10 minutes. this pattern continues. After a very through alcohol cleaning it sounds good for a while, then it goes back to its muffledness. VERY WEIRD!!!!! Its as if while its wet from the alcohol it sounds good, then as it evaporates it goes back to its muffled sound.  What else could explain the temporary fix?

Has anyone experienced such a thing? Its driving me crazy and I need it for gigs! Please help. Thanks!

By the way, I thought wile using the 13 pin cable, the charge comes from the 13 pin cable and the battery is not needeed.  I actually took the battery out and it worked fine.  I was confused why Godin said to change the battery when I told them I was using it with the 13 pin.

I would just take it to a godin deal/service center and pay for a new piezo. Its not a complex operation (you could do it yourself if your frisky) and shouldnt be a long turnover (Chuck Levins replaced one in a godin xtsa I had and it took them a few hours).
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

sixeight

I have had so much trouble with strings dropping volume of the RMC pickups on a Godin XTSA, especially in the summer - sweaty palms must be the cause of the problem. I have tried several guitars and they all had the same problems with me. The first guitar I tried already failed in the shop. Cleaning with alcohol only helped for a day or two. I sold the XTSA in the end and bought the VG-99. I use the GK-2 and GK-3 pickups. Pity, because I did like the XTSA when it worked...

ztones

Mistery solved!  Today the cleaning didn't work so I figured it was a conincidence with the alcohol... The movement was more likely the reason why it worked sometimes.  Anways, I ended up popping off the top of the transducer saddle.  The part that the string actually sits on.  Its a little cap basically.  anyways, the wire was loose.  For most others who wrote in, the wire gets clamped somewhere else and its  a more easily visible issue.  In this case it was hidden INSIDE the little piezo bridge.

Its completelly off now.  Don't konw if its just soldered on or if its some other "glue" holds it b/c it looked like there was a blackish residue left behind, not the usual silver from soldering.  Do you guys know how its best connected?  Thanks and I hope this might help someone else too!

bob e

Excellent!  Please post the solution when you find it.  I'm glad you tracked down the problem.

ztones

Solution is simly to resolder the wire to back of transducer cap.

timothybhewitt

To resurrect a dead topic, but this is the only thread that shares my dilemma.

Did you ever find a solution?  Was it a connection problem solvable with solder, or did you need to replace the saddle?

I'm having a similar issue, A string is weak, but when I take off the string and replace it works better.  Seems to work when tuned lower than a G.  But not so loud at pitch.

Please let me know what fixed your problem.
GR-55 | RC-300 | Godin Multiac Spectrum Steel SA

Elantric

Need more info.

What type guitar?

What brand piezo pickups?

what style bridge?

Read this whole thread from the top as most solutions are already mentioned.

and check the Ground connections on the Piezo Saddles
Piezo failure experiences ( Solution: add dedicated Ground Wires!)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12657.0

thebrushwithin

About 3yrs. ago, my LGXT had a piezo go out. I contacted LR BAGGS, and they were kind enough to send me a free replacement, which I had installed. Good folks!

Elantric

Must have been a pre 2001 era version , as Godin LGXT's  have used RMC since late 2001

But LR Baggs offers great service  - I'm about 30 minutes away from LR Baggs

timothybhewitt

Quote from: Elantric on January 15, 2014, 01:45:12 AM
Need more info.

What type guitar?

What brand piezo pickups?

what style bridge?

Read this whole thread from the top as most solutions are already mentioned.

Sorry - Lost this thread.

It's a Godin Specturm Multiac Steel.  I'm guessing the RMC PUs?  That's why I asked the OP what his solution was.  I have the same situations.  Just mine is the A string.

timothybhewitt

Well, the solution (for me) was to replace the saddle.  The good folks at RMC sold me a new on e and it was pretty easy to install.  Just 2 solder points and it came ready to be wired the way it needed to go in.  Don't be afraid to do this yourself if you are handy with an iron.

Now the question is:  Why do so many of these fail?  I've had Taks from the 80's that still work just fine.  Piezos failing is pretty rare, isn't it?

big_jan

I have a red ACS Steel Multiac that I love to experiment with. In the early 2000  I followed exactly the string type of 10-47's recommended. Worked fine till 2004 when I needed heavier bottom strings which I changed to 11's or 12's. The neck and bridge of course changed relief. The D string would sound up until C# and die. I would detune and use a capo to get to where I want to. I was fine with that.

I had to send it for repair to fix the bridge when I started to see tiny little gape on the bridge. Fast forward to 2012 and the D string still fails here and there. Enjoyed C tuning for a while :)

On a recent audition Jan 2014 for a duo,  the D string totally died on me. Strings were 11's Martin (the green bronze pack).
When I got it back home, I switched back to Martin 10's. I felt the neck titled back and the relief was better.

The D string sounded fine :)  so in my case, It was not the GK cables. Not the saddles too. I was just plain having fun (foolishly) experimenting.