VG-99 Editor Using the Editor

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2008, 08:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Flash

Quote from:  Kutenai on March 16, 2009, 04:05:06 PM
Every time I have used it.

The Librarian won't load sounds unless I load the sound by double clicking it. The Librarian starts up - loads! Yay! Off we go. If I have the program already started and load from the menu - it crashes.

The editor is a complete hazard.... every time I have used it to load other patches that load and overwrite my GK settings. It does not warn you that system and global setting can be overwritten. I do realize this is also the fault of the idiots who upload their system info too - but it's completely annoying. 3 times now I have lost hours of work setting up the VG99 to work with my Godin MultiAcc Jazz. The 'initialize patch' doesn't initialize the temporary area it actually initializes the patch so if you aren't working on blank patch it can overwrite your hard work. Every other 'patch' or setting altered by the Editor does it in the temporary area!!! AARRGHH!!!

I finally realised what I was doing wrong - using the software at all. It's now off my system. The SMFplayer works perfectly. And now I 'bulk dump' only to a midi file to save my setting and patches.

Don't get me wrong I love my VG99 but the software is awful - no wonder they supply it free.
Welcome to the group Kutenai!  :)

Sorry to hear you are having problems. There are a few Window issues that I have heard about, so I am betting you are on a Windows machine.

The editor and librarian work fine for the vast majority of group members. We don't think they are great but they do work.

If you decide to try again I am sure if you give some details about your system someone here can help you out.

jessman

hello,

i have problem with my VG-editor. When i turn on editor, i see blue screen on my laptop and computer is restarted.
editor version 1.01 (via usb cable).

maybe somebody help,

jessman

Elantric

jessman

my system: win xp (home edition)

i have rme multiface II (via cardbus)

when i have RME drivers turn off - vgeditor is ok. but if i have rme drivers turn on  - vg editor crushes.

Can you tell me, where i can setting?

thank you

acousticglue

I have no such issue although my Echoaudio Layla24 uses an IEEE cable to sound card. If I start the editor after being in program using the ASIO drivers I hear small blurb/blip then continue on. Cardbus/Firewire/USB or IEEE cabling (firewire), lightpipe, the issue I'm sure is with drivers and port contention.

Elantric

jessman

Your best bet is

Use the rme multiface II 's MIDI I/O to connect the VG-99 using the VG-99 Editor

or

disable the rme multiface II   - and  use the VG-99 as your USB ASIO sound card.

jessman

disable the rme multiface II   - and  use the VG-99 as your USB ASIO sound card.

thanks, sustainiac,
this is the best advice, i disabled multiface. Now it is working ok.

mooncaine

While looking over a few awesome patches shared here, I realized I could open a bunch of panels, then trigger Exposé. All the panels arrange themselves nicely across the computer screen.

I wiggle the VG-99's knobs, work its ribbon and dbeam, or stomp the footpedals, and I can see the onscreen bits moving in response. Can't see everything all at once, but it still helps, because I can see a lot of stuff at once, and just scan for anything that's moving.

feloniouspunk

I like using expose too, especially when I am using Pro Tools, Reason and anything else at the same time.  It it nice to be able to see eveything at a glance, then  click on a app if you want it in the foreground. 
Lots of Gear. :)

pestolesto@fastwebnet.it

Quote from:  bubblebeat on July 21, 2008, 03:47:14 AM
Hi,

I just got the above error message today after plugging back my VG-99 to my Dell laptop, it happens with both the editor and the librarian (latest versions).
The VG does not appear under the menu 'Set Up MIDI Devices'.
I've been using the VG for months now and I never had any issue with it. I've plugged it on a different PC last week and it worked fine.
The VG is seen by XP (SP2) and it can be used as a USB sound card (both in/out)
I've changed the USB port, reinstalled the USB drivers, rebooted PC and VG-99 multiple times, same message.
I do not have any MIDI device connected either.
The only things that have changed are:
•   A windows update done last week (I did not installed SP3 but all other updates execpt for the IE ones)
•   A change of the VG USB output settings using a friend's PC

That's a pretty wierd message since everything should be fine. It is quite annoying really especially after receiving a brand new RC-50 waiting to be (ab)used!  ;)

Has anyone experienced the same problem or has the solution for it?

Cheers.

lo.

It's passed 1 year so it won't be really useful for you, but maybe for someone else. I had the same problem and I've realized that it was generated by the MIDI messages through the USB. So I've switched off this feature and I 've solved the problem. Currently I'm using MIDI only with MIDI cables. The Roland support didn't help me!

mikelmarion

Hi all, Im a newb here. Just bought a new macbook pro and vg 99.  Installed the usb driver, but the editor keeps failing.  Any ideas?

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group mikelmarion!  :)
Did you use the latest version from the Roland site?

Elantric

same goes for the Mac USB driver - discard the VG-99 CDROM and download the latest versions

mikelmarion

Thanks guys.  I was already a reader of this site before I bought the vg 99.  I downloaded the new drivers before I even opened the box!!

Brent Flash

So... I am guessing you got it working?  8)

mikelmarion

Nope Brent!  Do I have to have these programs installed to use the vg 99? ???

Brent Flash

No you don't but if you want to try/make patches you do.

Your new Macbook Pro has all the updates and you are running OS 10.5.7?

mikelmarion

mikelmarion

yep 10.5.7   Would I be able to tweak patches or no?  I would like to use the onscreen computer editor.  I still have to install my gk3, or get it installed.  I have a esp eclipse 2 standard.

Elantric

Not sure why you have a problem

Be sure to read the installation guides

I have the VG-99 Librarian and Editor running flawlessly on my Macbook Pro running OSX 10.5.7

see pic

More here:

How to Install:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,47.0.html

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,51.0.html

mikelmarion

I keep getting finishing installation, running scrips or something.  Then fail.  Also The following install step has failed: run postflight script for vg-99 Editor. Contact the sowtware manufacturer for assistance.  Any one else ever get this?

Brent Flash

Have you tried to use it. If I remember right I may have gotten that message and it still worked.

mikelmarion

I havent got my pickup installed yet.  I used some of the sounds without the pickup, sond ok

feloniouspunk

I got that error message too when I reinstalled the editor after I upgraded to 10.5.  It still worked fine, just make sure you have the correct driver for it all to work properly.

Lots of Gear. :)

pjwassermann

I hadn't read that post before loading a g9e file. After restoring my system settings I still can't switch patches from my RR strat.

What to do?

Thanks for your help.
PJ Wassermann
http://www.pjwassermann.com/
Last album "Space Drone Salad": https://pjwassermann.bandcamp.com