VG-99 - Changing GK Connect Settings?

Started by rayjay1106, June 17, 2011, 07:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayjay1106

Hello,
Is it possible to use a midi SysEx command to change the GK Connection setting?  The VG-99 has three connection settings:  On / Off / Auto.  I am using the VG-99 in a live performance situation.  Sometimes I am using the GK pickup, but sometimes I am just using the normal guitar output.  I want to use the normal guitar output, because I need to go wireless at times.
I connect my wireless transmitter to my normal guitar jack, and the wireless receiver to the guitar input of my VG-99.  It works perfectly.  I connect my 13-pin cable to GK-3 and into the VG-99.  It works perfectly.  The problem is, when I need to switch between the 13-pin input signal and the standard guitar input signal, I have to manually switch "GK connect" setting in the VG-99.  But my VG-99 is in my rack and not readily accessible, so I want to control that with my midi foot-controller.  I tried placing the GK connect setting in Auto mode, but as soon as I plug in the 13-pin cable, it only looks for the GK input - the normal guitar input is ignored.  I tried unplugging the 13-pin cable from the guitar, but that doesn't help – still no standard signal.
BTW, I am NOT using the FC-300 – I am using a third-party foot-controller.  I'm confident my foot-controller can send whatever message is necessary.  I just don't know what message to send.  Does anyone know how to change the "GK connect" settings via midi?  Or other ideas how to solve my problem?  Thanks!

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group rayjay1106!  :)

If I am remembering right I think you can just set the setting you refer to to "ON" and you can use the guitar input. Have you tried that?

Brent Flash

OK, just verified that you can set the GK CONNECT setting to "ON" and use the guitar input at the same time. Just make sure in the patch you have the NORMAL PU volume up in the COSM GTR / MIX LEVEL area.

rayjay1106

Hey thanks Brent!  That works.  I thought I tried all of the combinations, but obviously not.  Thanks for the help.

Brent Flash

intrick

Just saw this.  If anyone is still interested? 

I use a GK guitar with a patch that is only using MAG PUPS most of the time (Except when alt tuning or unique VG feature needed).  I use this through the GK cable.

My back up guitar is non GK.  I want to be able to have it plugged into the GUITAR IN and use either  at any time (2 mag guitars signals)

It seems like the GUITAR IN cancels the MAG signal from the GK cable.

Anyone know of a solution that would let me "select" between guitars without unplugging either?

thx

Elantric

QuoteAnyone know of a solution that would let me "select" between guitars without unplugging either?

Impossible (without internal surgery)- look at the VG-99 Block Diagram below and see that the VG-99's 1/4" Guitar Input( for normal guitar) - is a switching type jack that will Always disable the normal mag PU signal from the GK13 pin Input.

In other words, if you want to use your Normal Pickups on your GK-3 equipped guitar via the 13 pin cable, you must remove the 1/4" guitar cable feeding the 1/4" Guitar Input on the VG-99.

intrick

That clears that up.  The fact that the '99 has so much capability is why I keep running into creative uses that might be outside the box.  I still love it.

So if the GK cable is feeding the MAGS (when the GUITAR IN is not in use) is there a way to use a US20 but modify it to take 1/4 as A and GK as B?

This would be a great A/B for someone that wanted to use a GK and a NON GK guitar at a gig.

I think you (Elantric) did some 1/4 mod to get a normal guitar into the '55??

Elantric

Quoteis there a way to use a US20 but modify it to take 1/4 as A and GK as B?
Yes

See here for more details
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7245.0

After you mod the US-20 for an external normal Mag Guitar In/Out jack, then you could add a programmable analog switching system for the guitar signal,  like a Boss LS-2

Use the modified Roland US-20 and  Run a TRS Insert cable  to Boss LS-2 Line Selector. and run a short cord between the LS-2 Loop B send and return.
Feed your normal nonGK guitar into the LS-2 Loop A Return input, then use the LS-2 to select which guitar you want to feed the Vg-99

This avoids making warranty voiding changes to your high cost gear (GR-55 / VG-99)