Gr55 and RC 300 Per Haar live looping video youtube

Started by MeanMrMustard, October 02, 2013, 04:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanMrMustard

Hello Everyone,
This video has inspired masses, including myself. I have watched it many times making notes to set things up to do this on my gear too.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10058.0

Published on Apr 19, 2012
UPDATE: Take a look at my new live looping video at:

Tutorial on how I use Roland GR-55 & Boss RC-300 as a powerful live looping setup. I'm talking about the sounds I use, how to set up the midiclock to sync the tempo, how to arrange songs for looping. And finally I play a little song that takes you through the things I talk about.

Hope you enjoy :)

PH

Check out my cover of Seal's "Crazy" here:

There is one small detail I would like to have some comments on.

If you watch Per's great video of "what if God was one of us" he taps out the tempo, he then does the Chaka Chaka on the strings to get his snare drum sound. But after just a couple of bars I can clearly hear a kick drum.
Could someone explain how this might have been accomplished? Do you think that buried under his eq'ed Chaka Chaka, that he assigned a kick drum on all of the strings? Or maybe just assigned to one string only? Are any others users doing this too? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would very much like to do this!

Sorry I didn't post the link, but it's very easy to find on youtube
Thanks everyone.
MeanMrMustard
MeanMrMustard

www.myspace.com/addisonbrady

aliensporebomb

You realize the RC-300 has a built in drum computer, correct? 
But he also might be using the sampled GR-55 drums too?

Per has been on this system in the past (it's been a while).  I even created a lead patch I call "Jam Like Per" since it's similar to his overdrive sound.

I also think Per is a natural teacher/instructor.  I love that video (I wish he'd do another!). 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

MeanMrMustard

AlienSporeBomb,

Thanks so much for responding.

Yes I do know the RC300 has drums, this is the source of his hi hat click that starts the song. Since Per doesn't show us what his hands are doing makes it difficult to know for sure what he is doing. But his feet tell most of the story.
I thought it might be something that he added after the fact. If it was coming from the gr55, you would see the patch change on the screen. If you watch and listen with headphones, the kick drum doesn't come in till at least two bars after he plays the "Chaka Chaka" snare sound he gets from strumming the guitar. So it cannot be a sound that is a part of his snare "Chaka Chaka" sound, because it comes in two bars later. If it was a part of the patch it would have sounded immediately. It's been a conundrum that I cannot figure out what he is doing. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
MeanMrMustard
MeanMrMustard

www.myspace.com/addisonbrady

aliensporebomb

You might ask Per and see what he is doing there.  The one thing I asked on his youtube page was "So, these are great but how are you ending songs and seguing into the next song at gigs?"  So far he has not replied on that question but seems generally pretty responsive to questions.

I've also thought that he might be using muted bass guitar noise to achieve it too but you'd have to ask Per to be sure.

Camb3003

Interested to know if you ever got an answer to this?  Whatever he does - the kick drum seems to come in a couple of bars later... I have tried to emulate this by slapping the strings above the pickup, but my patch sounds thin.

aliensporebomb

The live video sure shows how he segues and ends things.  Pretty cool.  His method of controlling tempo on the RC-300 does extend to the VG-99 by the way.  Just have to have a midi cable from the 300 to the 99.  In the how to he shows how to do it with the GR-55 and I figured the 99 could do it.