Fractal MFC-101 - Control Multiple Gear with Axe-FX midi foot controller..

Started by Tonato, March 03, 2015, 12:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonato

Hi Guys, I've been thinking about this set up for a while (day and night), and I think it is definitely the kind of gear/setup I want to get... I am attaching a picture so you can understand it more clearly.

Basically, everything starts with a GODIN LGXT with FTP, and I want to use a foot controller (FRACTAL AUDIO MFC 101) to control a VG99, Axe FX II Ultra and a Sound Module (Roland Integra 7)

I want to be able to control everything through the foot controller MFC101. They way I would like to use this is by enabling or disabling different sounds from the different modules through the switches from the foot controller.

For example, with one switch I would enable strings from the Integra,  with another switch I enable 12 string guitar from the VG and with another one a chorus from the Axe FX II. Therefore, I have at that time a sound with strings, 12 string guitar and chorus.. If I just one normal guitar I disable the VG switch from the MFC101. All that would be ovbiously programmed (if its possible) ...I hope the idea is clear.. Is like using the foot controller as stomps pedals.

BUT, I don't know if this is possible, and I also don't know If I can connect (and drive) all those modules through a foot controller.

Please find attached a graph that depicts a bit more the set up I am aiming to get!

MANY THANKS GUYS!!!

Tonato

Hi

no replies at all? I thought it could be a constructive question as it is the kind of gear it has been discussing in the forum!

Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

cheers

Elantric

QuoteBasically, everything starts with a GODIN LGXT with FTP, and I want to use a foot controller (FRACTAL AUDIO MFC 101) to control a VG99, Axe FX II Ultra and a Sound Module (Roland Integra 7)

There are only a limited number of actual Axe-FX Users here who know the Fractal Footcontroller ( MFC-101)  well enough to offer advice. and we await someone to step forward.

VGuitarforums may not be the best place to seek the info you need

Best to ask this same question at the Fractal forum
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/tags/mfc-101.html

Vade

It looks like a great selection of gear Tonato. It'd be nice if someone had experience connecting all that gear together but it's a pretty specific list and you may have to be the one who steps forward and teaches all of us. A few questions come to mind when I look at your gear and diagram. I'm not familiar enough with the gear to know why you selected each piece. What does each one bring to your rig that the others don't and if they are redundant is that a good thing? For instance, if one piece broke down at a gig are you able to use what's left to keep the show going? Also, I'm not getting a clear idea of your routing. How do the audio outputs of the various pieces get summed and sent to amplification? Will lag be an issue? If you want to use the MFC 101 for MIDI control how exactly are you going to route the midi signals to each device? With just one midi out on the MFC-101 (manual pg 4) you'd probably need something like an iConnectMIDI4+ for the routing; yes?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iConnMIDI4L

How are you connecting the FTP dongle, what synths is it driving, and how are they inserted in the audio pathway? If wish I had answers for you rather than questions and even at that the questions are more for you than for us. It is fun though to work through the issues and build something uniquely your own. Keep us posted on your progress and much luck!

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/mfc-101/MFC-101-Owners-Manual.pdf

P.S. I'd love to see some pics of your LGXT with the FTP mounted and hear what you had to do to get it working.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Pin

Several things I don't understand re the diagram. Only midi outs are indicated. No midi ins. What unit has the "Local Control"?

Are you playing in Mono mode? Channels 1 - 6 for example? Exactly what are the outs (from the M101) controlling? Presumably patch changes amongst other things? But then what channel(s) is each unit assigned to? Is each unit in omni mode? In which case everything is going play at once. Do you see what I am getting at here? It isn't just a case of connections, it is also a question of modes and channels and routing. It is those sort of issues which puzzle me about the diagram and the question.

Tonato

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all the answers!

I am still trying to find the way if what I want to do would be possible or not.

I am not sure if its possible or not, or If I need something else to make it possible.

What I want is, to control all those units (Integra 7, VG99, fractal audio (or a TC G system) with a complete midi foot controller, controlling the units like a patch bay.

I don't know if I can do it or not. It is at the moment more than an idea than getting into the technicalities to how to do it. As I said, I don't know how I can do it.

I understand your questions about it, and some of them are the same I got. But , do you think I can do it? and if so, do I need another gear to make it happen?

Everything would be programmed, but I believe that would be a really flexible rig, with virtual guitars, synth guitars and great FX coming from the G system or Ace FX

ANY help is much more than appreciated ! I don't know how many people out there can advice me in this quest!

Thanks!!

Tonato

Quote from: Pin on March 07, 2015, 11:49:14 AM
Several things I don't understand re the diagram. Only midi outs are indicated. No midi ins. What unit has the "Local Control"?

Are you playing in Mono mode? Channels 1 - 6 for example? Exactly what are the outs (from the M101) controlling? Presumably patch changes amongst other things? But then what channel(s) is each unit assigned to? Is each unit in omni mode? In which case everything is going play at once. Do you see what I am getting at here? It isn't just a case of connections, it is also a question of modes and channels and routing. It is those sort of issues which puzzle me about the diagram and the question.

Yes, completely understand your questions, but I am not sure on how to address them.

I have been working with midi for a while, but still I realise I have SO MUCH to learn about it. I am quite newbie in midi programming.

My concept is the following: I would like to control with a big midi foot controller (such as the MFC101) different modules. The VG99, an FX processor such as G system, and a sound module driven by an FTP.

What I want is to be able to use the modules as a patchbay...for example, one switch enables 12 strings from the VG, other switch  a chorus from the G system, and other switch strings from the sound module driven with the FTP.

I could create my own sound mixing the different patches with the switches, enabling or disabling the ones I want.

This is my concept and what I would love to achieve, but yes, don't have a clue if it is phisically possible, and I don't know much about midi programming to get to understand this complex setup.

If one of you guys knows about it and wants to throw some ideas, that would be awesome!!!

PS: Thanks for the msgs Vade and Elantric! Vade, I will post some pictures soon ;) Hopefully some music too!!! :)

REGARDS

Vade

Looking forward to the pics and music Tonato. For what it's worth, I was thinking of doing something similar with MIDI and my rig. Using my SoftStep 2 for MIDI commands being routed through my iConnectMIDI4+ and onto my various pedals. Each pedal was to be set to receive on a different channel. I picked the iConnectMIDI4+ because I wanted it to charge my iPad/iPhone while in use but I think there are cheaper alternatives for MIDI routing if charging isn't an issue for you. So, I knew my pedals could be set to different channels and all looked good in theory. I never finished the routing though because I got bogged down in the question of whether to stick with iPads or build my rig around a more powerful computer. I eventually decided to go with a computer. So I'm working on my MIDI routing now, just like you are, and I can't say for sure what would have happened if I had stuck to my original plan. (I felt confident enough to invest in the gear though) One thing for you to note is that the FTP sends out MIDI commands when it's first powered on and I found that it was changing patches on some of my pedals; channels 1 and 2 if I recall correctly. Hope that helps and here's a link to the iConnectMIDI4+ manual to help with your research.

http://www.iconnectivity.com/downloads/manuals/iCM4plus_user_guide_ver1.pdf
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Elantric

Tonato,

You need a method for the FTP to drive the MIDI Sound module with MIDI Note on/ off, Pitch bend info -   - but also need to merge the MIDI data from FTP with the MIDI program change messages from MFC-101.

Its important to determine which gear in your rig will 100% pass all incoming MIDI messages received on their MIDI Input jack, to their MIDI Output jack.

Most gear does not do this.   

So You need a MIDI Merge function for FTP+ MFC-1010 - ahead of the MIDI sound module 

and you need  MIDi program change / MIDI CC#  messages generated by MFC-101 to feed the VG-99, G System, and MIDI Tone module.

This requires a "MIDI Thru box".

And you need a USB Host to MIDI converter for the FTP

I suggest just use a iConnectMIDI 4+ which covers all basses above. 

Tonato

Elantric, what a great answer, thank you!

I will research a bit more and try to understand in depth everything you just said and post back.

I was considering in buying an I connectMIDI 4+ so it seems to be the next gear anyway.... I will post once I have read more :)

THANKS!!!

Tonato