GR55 not saving all edits on user patches ( check conflicts in Control Assigns)

Started by MrJim65, September 21, 2011, 02:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrJim65

Hi,
I'm sure theres a simple explanation and I've searched through the manual but can't find an answer.
My problem is when I try to create a new user patch sometimes the gr55 saves all of the edited material and sometimes it doesn't.  Most commonly it'll save a patch without one of the pcm tones or normal pick ups turned on even though I've turned them on when i'm editing and can hear the patch as it should sound:-until I press write and it saves the patch with one of the pcm tones/pick-ups turned off.
Any Ideas anyone?
Thanks, Jim

Jim Williams

This is caused by control assigns. When you edit an existing patch it already has it's own set of control assigns and when you engage the write button the GR-55 activates the state of the controls. Go through the assigns and make sure they all only do what you want. you have some different areas to check for conflicts. Here is a link to some PDF documents one of witch is some details on control assigns.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4439.0

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

MrJim65

Thanks for that.
I've only just got the GR-55 and it's all a bit bewildering although some of the patches I'm getting are amazing.  I've managed to sort the problem via your advice about control assigns although in truth I'm not wholly sure what it is I've done to sort it:-I've just changed an on to off button a couple of times until it saves the thing I need!
Had a look through your pdf and agree about the need for an intelligent harmoniser.  Also think they need a slow gear effect for the modelling/normal pick ups.
btw apologies as I think I've put this topic in the wrong place.
Cheers, Jim

kerly

Hello all,

Just got my GR-55 yesterday. Loving it. Trying to write my own patches but having a bit of an issue.
I wrote a patch and want to use just the COSM modeling. So I turned the 2 PCM instruments off and turned the COSM on and saved the patch. However, when I come back to this patch, every time the 2 PCM's are ON but the COSM is off. When I open this patch in Gumtown's editor (amazing btw) it shows the 2 PCM's OFF and the COSM ON, but still the PCM tones are coming out instead of the COSM.

Any ideas?

mooncaine

No idea, but I'd try saving the patch to two other locations. Power off, wait a few secs, then power on. 

Do the copies of the patch exhibit the same problem?

papabuss

Hi KERLY
I noticed this problem several times, too
Perhaps using the wrong firmware...

I solved it the following way:
I disabled the CTRL Pedal : (Function to OFF)
Then saved my patch and it worked.
(But this cannot be the only solution..perhaps ROLAND or our top VGUITAR moderators have a better answer)

I remember there were similar questions in this forum for this topic some time ago..
Use the SEARCH Function....

Hope I could help you.
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

kerly

I solved it by always writing patches using the INITIALIZE patch method rather than editing an existing patch.
And yes it probably was some assignment that I missed. All you have to do is turn off all the assignments so that nothing is effecting the patch after you save it.

clinton beale

HI GUYS HAS ANYONE ELSE DETECTED THIS MAJOR BUG ON GR55 , IT HAPPENS WHEN YOU ASSIGN CC CONTROLLERS TO VARIOUS PARAMETERS EG  PCM CHANGE OR EFFECT ON OFF , YOU THEN GO TO ANOTHER PATCH WITH PERHAPS SOME OTHER CC ASSIGNMENTS , THEN RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL PATCH ONLY TO FIND THAT THINGS HAVE CHANGED EG PARAMETERS THAT WERE ASSIGNED TO TURN OFF ARE NOW ON AND VICE VERSA ,ITS AS IF POLARITIES OF SWITCHES ARE REVERSED AND ASSIGN HOLD ALTHOUGH TURNED 'OFF' IS ALLOWING CORRUPTIBLE DATA TO INFILTRATE BETWEEN PATCHES ,THIS OF COURSE WILL CAUSE ALL MANNER OF PROBLEMS IF YOU USE CC ASSIGNMENTS BOTH INTERNAL AND IF YOU USE AN EXTERNAL CC PEDAL ETC.
I CONTACTED ROLAND  AND THEY SAID THEY ARE AWARE ,AND ARE WORKING ON A FIX, HOPE ITS SOON IT DRIVES ME CRAZY

BackDAWman

This is an old thread but I have a related problem. It may be a bug?

I use two assigns to toggle between the two PCM synths using level. I know I can do this with the tone switches but this situation shows up the problem.

The first one uses the CTL pedal to change PCM 1 from a level of zero to a level of 75. The second one does the opposite changing from 75 to zero. The patch is saved. Later I call up the patch and the levels of the synths has changed to 100 completely upsetting my levels! Especially as I use the EXP pedal to crossfade between the modelled guitar and the synths. I rock the pedal forward and the synth blows the head of the sound guy!

Anyone had this happen?

BackDAWman

PS I forgot to mention that at times it has reversed the order of the assigns so that instead of toggling between the synths it turns them either completely off or both on!

Toby Krebs

If you have an older GR55 update it to 1.50 firmware. Made  quite a difference in the behavior of my older blue unit. Before I did that once in a while reverbs would be much wetter than I saved them and a few other things. Also stabilizes the pianos.

BackDAWman

Yep. That was the first thing I did. I've only had mine for 6 weeks. I first found this problem while I was tweaking the guitar sound. I used the floorboard editor, loaded the patch, tweaked the guitar sounds and then saved it. Next time I went back to the patch my synths were gone. My assigns were changed as in my earlier post.

This does nothing for my confidence in the unit. I have a gig on Friday night that I need to do some fancy river dancing to swap guitars, synths, saxes and sitars around on the fly. I'm starting to feel nervous, although I have everything backed up. That's how I fixed the patch. Just loaded it back in sans the guitar tweaks.

Toby Krebs

You will be fine. Make sure the power coming out of the wall at the venue is good and you should have no problems. I have gigged my older blue GR55  3 times or more a week and had no problems with it. In freezing cold damp conditions and 105 degree plus weather in full sun it has never even blinked. The firmware update has made it a lot less jittery and it just feels better all the way around to me now. Back up all your patches to a usb stick and keep it with you. Carry a spare cable. A bad or dirty cable can cause all kinds of problems. Good Luck!

BackDAWman

Thanks

Toby. That makes me feel better. I have a spare GK guitar and lead. I will take the laptop with everything backed up there and on the USB stick that lives in my GR55.

When everything is going right the GR55 is most impressive through my 1000W FRFR powered speaker!

BackDAWman

I found the problem. Very interesting...

OK, so I called up the patch in question this afternoon, loaded it into the editor to check the assigns and Lo and behold they had changed again!! This time I double checked by editing on the GR55 and you wouldn't believe it, the patch was fine. Some how the assigns were screwed up in the editor. So when I edited the guitar sounds with the editor and then saved it the corrupted assigns went with it!

Maybe Gumtown could check it out. I was using the USB lead to connect the MIDI to my HP elite running Windows 7. I was using the latest version of the editor on the source forge site and the proper USB drivers for my OS.

This is something for all to watch out for.

Toby Krebs

Yes I have noticed some strange things between the editor and the GR55 like this too. I always write the patch using the front panel button and as time has gone on I edit from the front panel a lot more. After extensive editing using the editor and my PC I verify the changes I have made directly from the GR55 itself. I am gigging without the GR55 this week. A bass gig and a loud classic rock tube amp gig subbing for a couple of different players.

Please let us know how it goes

T.C.

papabuss

Here's a very good video concerning this problem.

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

BackDAWman

@Toby. I guess for the time being I will have to double check assigns on the machine itself and then use the hardware write button. It helps me sleep easier at night :-D

gumtown

Quote from: BackDAWman on August 07, 2013, 05:55:53 AM
I found the problem. Very interesting...

OK, so I called up the patch in question this afternoon, loaded it into the editor to check the assigns and Lo and behold they had changed again!! This time I double checked by editing on the GR55 and you wouldn't believe it, the patch was fine. Some how the assigns were screwed up in the editor. So when I edited the guitar sounds with the editor and then saved it the corrupted assigns went with it!

Maybe Gumtown could check it out. I was using the USB lead to connect the MIDI to my HP elite running Windows 7. I was using the latest version of the editor on the source forge site and the proper USB drivers for my OS.

This is something for all to watch out for.

Have been working away (literally - working away out of town the last 4 months) on an update for the editor for a while now, had a bit of a headache with an upgraded framework having to re-write some code, but it now paves the way for future iPad and Android versions.
Anyway, the file save system has been fixed, as well as quite a few other things, one of the more obvious was the structure being back-to-front.
If you are keen to try a beta version of the pending update, I have a Windows version here to try
https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/files/GR-55/beta_GR-55FloorBoard_Setup.exe/download
but it is not complete, please don't save any system backups yet as the midi program table side of it is giving me problems to implement.
I am still constructing a better list of EzPatch patches for the appropiate catagories, the ones so far were just a randomly placed collection.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

BackDAWman

No worries. I'll give the beta a try when I get a spare moment. Thanks

gumtown

Any feedback on the latest (slightly unofficial but should be fixed) beta update?

Hopefully no more patch was saved but what happened to the settings issues now..!!
get it from here below
https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/files/GR-55/beta_GR-55FloorBoard_Setup.exe/download
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

BackDAWman

I was able to install this one without errors. It was working fine when I used it briefly. I've been gigging so I haven't had a chance to see if my issue has been resolved. I will give it a go tonight and let you know.

Toby Krebs

Been gigging a lot like backDAWman myself. Dealing with Midi Mouse midi cable failures-patch change issues-vocal and throat problems-bass players not knowing the changes to songs we have played every week for the last 6 months(not you Gumtown)-overwhelming heat- remodelling the master bathroom in my house etc...will try it a soon as I have a chance to really get into it.

BackDAWman

So far the software has been working fine, thanks Gumtown.

I have checked a few patches with multiple assigns and there have no problems writing from the editor or from the GR-55. The GR-55 has been working reliably and sounding great. Using midi to handle all my patch changes from the iPad has made the flow from one song to the next very quick. It makes for a more relaxed gig not having to dial everything in at every song.

MikeTranch

Quote from: Toby Krebs on August 07, 2013, 08:55:44 AM
Yes I have noticed some strange things between the editor and the GR55 like this too. I always write the patch using the front panel button and as time has gone on I edit from the front panel a lot more. After extensive editing using the editor and my PC I verify the changes I have made directly from the GR55 itself. I am gigging without the GR55 this week. A bass gig and a loud classic rock tube amp gig subbing for a couple of different players.

Please let us know how it goes

T.C.

When using the (excellent!) GR Floorboard editor, you MUST watch and wait after pressing the Write button.  The lower left corner of the main window shows the status.  After you click Write, and click OK to confirm you really want to write (good feature!), watch that status and make sure everything has completed: it comes back to "Ready."   If you click on anything else in the program, for example another patch in the "tree" list, WHILE it's trying to save the patch, you will interrupt the process and possibly the patch changes are not saved.