GR-55 Freezing

Started by djidoe, March 01, 2011, 07:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djidoe

Hello

The unit freezes 3 times since I received it a week ago. I have to unplug the power to reboot the GR-55. The power button did not respond. No special manipulation were done, just dialing through patches.

Have you experienced this problem ?

ddlooping

Hello djidoe :)

I haven't had any freezing problem with the GR-55.
I haven't used it extensively though.
I don't know what to suggest I'm afraid. :/
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

Brent Flash

Is this happening when you are connected to the computer with USB?

djidoe

Hi guys, to answer your question, I was not plugged into USB when the GR-55 freezes. I was just playing the unit and scrolling the patches. The unit is under guarantee and my drummer is the seller... so no problem ! I was just curious if those freezings happen to anyone else.

By the way, Roland have a clinic tonight to present the GR-55 here in Quebec City. Maybe I'll go and try to know some things about firmware updates for the VG-99 and the GR-55.

Thanx

ddlooping

Quote from: djidoe on March 01, 2011, 09:25:48 AM
By the way, Roland have a clinic tonight to present the GR-55 here in Quebec City. Maybe I'll go and try to know some things about firmware updates for the VG-99 and the GR-55.

No harm in trying. ;)

bbob

I have used mine a fair amount and no freezing problems.

gumtown

Mine gets abused quite a bit, and have never had it freeze yet.
Maybe a power supply problem? Try a different power unit, or a different power outlet.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

res075oh@gte.net

I haven't had any "freezes" but I did have a couple of "note ons" that I could not exit.  I found out that I had entered a patch with the CTL pedal set as a sustain switch.  When I activated it inadvertently the note hung.

I'm sure you gurus would never do anything so silly...

James

Quote from: djidoe on March 01, 2011, 07:18:09 AM
Hello

The unit freezes 3 times since I received it a week ago. I have to unplug the power to reboot the GR-55. The power button did not respond. No special manipulation were done, just dialing through patches.

Have you experienced this problem ?

ddlooping

Quote from: res075oh@gte.net on March 01, 2011, 01:58:51 PM
I'm sure you gurus would never do anything so silly...

Not in a million years!  ;D

nelcatjar

Quote from: djidoe on March 01, 2011, 09:25:48 AM
By the way, Roland have a clinic tonight to present the GR-55 here in Quebec City.

VIDEO THE GOOD STUFF AND POST IT ON YOUTUBE!!!!!!
Q: What's the difference between a musician and a large pizza?
A:  A large pizza can feed a family of 4.

Brian Moore i88.13, Godin xtSA, GR-55, Boss ME-70.

prtzah

Hi,

I'm a new member and replying this old thread because exactly the same thing happened to me now. I was using the unit on its own - only GK-3 and headphones connected. The only good thing is that I don't have to write the explanation, just copy:

"The unit freezes 3 times since I received it a week ago. I have to unplug the power to reboot the GR-55. The power button did not respond. No special manipulation were done, just dialing through patches."

The unit had been switched on for about 2-3 hours when it happened the first time. Second time it happened only a few minutes after unplugging and rebooting. Third time again the next day after 2-3 hours.

Do I have to take it to the importer or is there an update that can be downloaded or do I just hope it doesn't happen again?

prsrick

Mine froze when I switch between user patches only , and I suspect it was the problem of RAM inside,
Took it to Roland, they replaced the whole main board, costed C$800, luckily I am still under warantee.

stratmandu

Yes. I've had mine less than a week and it has locked up twice just as described. Contemplating whether to return it.

Elantric

QuoteYes. I've had mine less than a week and it has locked up twice just as described.

The GR-55 will always Freeze under these conditions:

* If the GR-55 is left on more than 10 hours straight, and "AutoPower Off is Enabled.

* If its connected via USB to a PC / Mac that enters sleep  / power save mode.

Latest GR-55 PDF Manual states:

QuoteIf you don't want the power to turn off automatically, turn the "AUTO POWER OFF" setting off!
With the factory settings, the GR-55's power will automatically be switched off 10 hours after you stop playing or operating the unit.
If you want to have the power remain on all the time, change the "AUTO POWER OFF" setting to "OFF" as described on p. 71.
NOTE!
The settings you were editing will be lost when the power is turned off. If you want to keep your settings, you must save your settings before
turning the power off.

I advise backup your user patches and perform a factory reset and be sure you have the latest GR-55 firmware

==

Use the following procedure to clear the GR-55's internal memory and reload its factory settings.

Caution: All User information is lost during a Factory Reset. Be sure to first back up anything you wish to keep before proceeding.

1. Press EDIT.

2. Press the right-hand PAGE button to select the SYSTEM tab.

3. Cursor to "BACKUP/INIT," and then press ENTER.

4. Cursor to "FACTORY RESET," and then press ENTER.

5. Cursor to "OK," and then press ENTER—"FACTORY RESET..." appears in the display.

6. When "PLEASE RESTART" appears, turn the GR-55's power off and back on.

gumtown

Or if you have a suspect USB thumb drive in the GR-55 side USB port, suspect can be either incompatable drive or incorrect or damaged files on the drive.

Can't offer any more suggestions to help a freezing GR-55 apart from wrapping it in a warm blanket and give it a hot cup of chocolate.  ;D
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

prtzah

I took mine to the importer to get the freezing sorted out... they put in a new motherboard and latest software... no help... still freezes after 2 to 3 hours of use. I'm only changing between a few self made user patches and thats it. Turning GR-55 off for a while helps - it works then for a shorter period of time, half an hour or an hour max and freezes again. It does it both with the usb stick in and without it. I haven't even tried connecting to a computer yet, just playing in rehearsals or jamming.

I  like the sounds a lot when it's working, but I'm frustrated with this freezing.

Feels like something is overheating... Has anyone tried some cooling system?

aliensporebomb

Elantric posted something a while back about GR55 freezing after a certain amount of time powered on, allegedly this new  update is supposed to correct this condition I thought..
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

Just re-read the above posts for details on freezing GR-55.

These conditions will trigger the freeze

* If the GR-55 is left on more than 10 hours straight.

* If its connected via USB to a PC / Mac that enters sleep  / power save mode.

* If a defective USB thumb drive is connected to the GR-55 after power up.

Freezing under other conditions not listed above should be considered as a faulty GR-55 and should be covered under warranty. 

The ToneKing

Mine has frozen a few times to, but only when plugged into my Mac, and it went to sleep....works fine once I 'wake' it up.
Guitars:PRS, Gibson, Fender, Hamer, Godin/Amps:  Two-Rock, Sewell, Mesa, Dumble-clone, Fender, Roland KC-350, Gr-55.

mockchoi

I've used mine almost every day since I got it, and I got it right away at the first release.  Never had a freeze.  I'd return it.

Elantric

re-read above..

Its considered normal for the GR-55 to freeze anytime its connected via USB to a computer that has already entered sleep mode. Its actually  designed to do that.

Elantric

Latest GR-55 PDF Manual states:

QuoteIf you don't want the power to turn off automatically, turn the "AUTO POWER OFF" setting off!
With the factory settings, the GR-55's power will automatically be switched off 10 hours after you stop playing or operating the unit.
If you want to have the power remain on all the time, change the "AUTO POWER OFF" setting to "OFF" as described on p. 71.
NOTE!
The settings you were editing will be lost when the power is turned off. If you want to keep your settings, you must save your settings before
turning the power off.

Christoplast

Mine freezes from time-to-time too. It still works in the sense that it responds to guitar input, making its internal sounds as expected for the current patch and outputting MIDI accordingly. However, no control has any effect. Not even the power switch works, so the only way to unfreeze it is to pull the power connector,then reconnect and restart.

tekrytor

Is the GR-55 plugged in to your computer via USB? Does the the computer sleep?
If so, that's a known issue documented in other threads on this forum.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Christoplast

Quote from: tekrytor on June 22, 2012, 08:34:16 PM
Is the GR-55 plugged in to your computer via USB? Does the the computer sleep?
Yes to the first, but no to the second AFAIK. The computer is in active use during the time in question and nothing else is freezing. I had seen the threads about the sleep issue, but it didn't seem to fit my circumstances. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll keep it under observation.