A way to turn off MIDI GUITAR - connecting to Kronos

Started by marianghioda, July 07, 2011, 11:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marianghioda

Hi guys,
First I would like to thank Colin (gumtown) on the excellent job he did on the GR-55 FloorBoard Editor. Roland should buy it from you, and your retirement assured!

I got the GR-55, FC-300 controller, and Korg Kronos 61. I got the GR-55 working just fine. I play MIDI songs off the Kronos Sequencer, and I was able to connect the GR-55 to Kronos's MIDI channel 1, works like a charm.

Now, to my problem.

I can't figure out how (if is possible) to turn off MIDI GUITAR on some patches, when I need just the Guitar tone out of GR-55, so Kronos won't sound.
I tried to set up in Kronos a tone with volume at 0, but then I can't touch the volume on my GR-55 and I need that.

So, is there a way to control the MIDI GUITAR switch? I can see that you can assign to turn Off and On that V-Link Switch, am I missing something?

Thanks!

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group marianghioda!  :)

If it is like the VG you will have to do it with SYSEX or just turn the MIDI volume down on that patch.

marianghioda

Elantric

QuoteIs there a way to do it with SYSEX?

Probably - but Roland still has not published the Full Complete GR-55 MIDI specification document.

So at this hour  - only a few engineers inside Roland Japan know the proper GR-55 sysex command to enable / disable  GTR- to MIDI.

Contact your local Roland Distributor (Roland US, Roland UK, Roland DE, Roland.NL , etc. )and tell them to get moving on releasing this crucial document!!!!

There is a chance the GR-55 may use the identical sysex command as the VG-99 to enable / disable  GTR- to MIDI.

The VG-99 MIDI spec is here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2968.0

marianghioda

I think I solved MY problem:
In Kronos I can set up the MIDI channel that I'm sending from my GR-55 to play either the INT (internal sounds from Kronos) or EXT (intended to play sounds in other sound module, but in my case, no sound).
This way I can still use the volume pedal for the guitar sounds.

Now, I'll try to figure out HOW to program my pedal to send that CC to change the INT - EXT on the fly, without using the touch screen of Kronos.....I guess this would be the wrong forum to ask that ....  :)

gumtown

With the GR-55FloorBoard editor, if you set it to "deBug Mode" from the midi setup menu, you can get the editor to display sysx commands on the bottom status bar as settings are adjusted.

To disable Guitar midi out
F0 41 10 00 00 53 12 02 00 00 07 00 77 F7

To enable Guitar midi out
F0 41 10 00 00 53 12 02 00 00 07 01 76 F7
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

marianghioda

mooncaine

Wow, your software makes me want to buy a GR-55. I'm seriously considering it. I'll send you a good donation if I do get one. Software looks great on my Mac. I see the value in being able to back up, restore, and replace patches on a computer.