GR-55 - Telephone patch

Started by HoosierMan, February 24, 2014, 09:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoosierMan

This might sound like a weird request, but is there either a patch or a PCM tone that would sound like an old fashioned telephone ringer?  Remember those days when a phone actually had a mechanical bell/ringer inside?  I am doing an arrangement of Glenn Miller's Pennsylvania 5-6000 and I'd like to have a patch that I can play the telephone ringing sound that is in the original recording.  Thanks!

supernicd

Here's how I'd approach creating it.  Note that I have not tried it, this would just be my going in strategy.  There is a ring mod effect in the MFX block that applies amplitude modulation to the signal.  It can be used to create bell like tones.  I might start by sending a COSM guitar model at it, and see if I can get the basic tone that I want by adjusting the rind mod's parameters.  If I couldn't get what I wanted using a guitar signal, then I'd try sending some PCM waves at it.  Probably more basic shapes like sin waves, saws, or squares.  Hopefully some combination of the note you play on the fretboard and the ring mod's frequency and polarity parameters can dial in the correct base tone of a single telephone bell strike that matches what you want.

Assuming that goes ok, then I would either try the tremolo effect in the MOD section or use an assign and the internal wave pedal to modulate the volume of the COSM or PCM signal to achieve the rapid hammering effect.  Or if using a PCM tone, then using one of the LFOs to modulate the TVA envelope might also do the trick.

It actually sounds like kind of an interesting patch experiment.  I may try it out when I have some time.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

datsunrobbie

PCM patches 858 and 859 are telephones - I'm away from my GR-55, so I don't know if they sound like analog or digital phones, but might be a start.

HoosierMan

Actually PCM 858 is exactly what I was after.  Perfect!  Thanks!