Knob to Control Dual Footswitch Pedals? In a semi-weird way?

Started by Threeleggedyoyo, April 26, 2015, 12:52:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threeleggedyoyo

Hey guys. I have a DIY question and was hoping someone would point me in the right direction.

Short version: I'd like to have a small knob on my pedalboard. Spinning it in one direction would send out messages equivalent to taps on one button of a dual footswitch. Spinning it in the other direction would send out messages equivalent to hitting BOTH buttons of a dual footswitch.

Long version / background:

For some time, I've used a Digitech Jamman loopstation to trigger samples live with my feet (usually old movie quotes and such):

This worked, but was a bit bulky, especially when paired with the FSX3 footswitch:

Still, between the two I had my desired functions. Start, stop, pattern up and pattern down. Also, the knob was great for when I needed to jump between far-flung patterns (a twist allowed me to jump 10 patterns or so quickly).

The problem is that this took up a lot of space on my pedalboard. So, I got one of these:

This saved me quite a lot of space, which is awesome. I even modified the FSX3 to lose the extra button. Everything is quite compact. Unfortunately, I lost the functionality of the knob, so I sort of lost the ability to jump around spontaneously, and that sucks.

The answer may well have to be to get a Jamman Stereo (pictured below). But I'd prefer to avoid this.

So here is my question: Is it possible to build a little knob into my FSX3? That would be the ideal solution.

Here is still more detail...

The FSX3 is a 3-button footswitch, but it actually operates the way a normal dual footswitch would. Button 1 sends a sound on the left channel and Button 2 sends one on the right. The third button sends both at once, which Digitech pedals interprets as a third command. In the case of these particular pedals, this amounts to Mode (useless to me and has been removed from my FSX3 to save space), Pattern Up, and Pattern Down, in that order.

So ultimately I'd need a knob that when turned clockwise, sends out signals to the right (like UP above), and when turned clockwise, sends signals to both right and left (like DOWN above).

Is this possible? Is it super hard? Can anyone tell me how to do it or send me in the right direction? If it can be done easily, that would be great. If not, I guess I'd better grab a Jamman Stereo after all.

gumtown

The closest 'practical' thing I can think of is a spring centred mini toggle switch. (DPDT)

There should be a mechanical indent type rotary encoder out there that can do what you want,
or make a dial with indents that operates the spring return midi toggle switch in either direction.
Like a dial with bumps underside that sits over top of a panel mounted toggle switch.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/