VG-99 - An Albert King type blues patch - 'Hadz Faze-Bomb 3'

Started by Radley, November 26, 2013, 03:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radley

Here's a pretty useful blues patch I did using the out-of-phase pickup sounds (using the Vari-Electric model). The patch starts with a clean funky sound - Control#1 turns on a bluesy Overdrive, and Exp#1 controls the gain of the OD, making it possible to preset the amount of OD before you hit Control#1. I couldn't figure out how to do it, but I have a fast Flanger sound that I wanted to turn Off/On with Control#2 :'(  If you turn on the Chorus, it provides a level boost along with added dimension (but no traditional Chorusing)... Hope you likie!  8)

Elantric

Radley

PS: This is not just a patch for blues - a number of popular recordings have used this type of tone to unique effect (Stayin' Alive - BeeGees, Let's Dance - David Bowie, Love is Strange - Mickey & Silvia, and many others). The Delay & Verb levels are set to sound right in a track - played solo, they'll probably be a bit much...

Radley

Oh well - It works well for me... I tried!  ;)

Cheers,
Radley

PS: I have since learned how to add the vibrato on/off effect to control 2 - too much phun!

Smash

Radley - don't take offence! This place is quite quiet sometimes and goes in fits and starts I find (usually when Asle's about - he's a goddam patch making machine!). Gonna download and have a go with this when I get home (UK time here!).

Re: controls - If you aren't using the PC editor to edit your sounds I strongly urger you to do so - it makes setting up even the most complicated control assigns a breeze. What I didn't realise initially is that you can have more than two assigns per control/Expression pedal - the Assign tab is the one that lets you set up loads of control info. Never managed to use them all but come close a few times - if you have a look at my Ty Tabor Kings X patch in the editor you will see all manner of control information being sent. It's a real neat trick that the VG can do - whereas would you be able to, say, assign three different tunings through the sweep of one Exp pedal?!!  ;D

Elantric

QuoteRadley - don't take offence! This place is quite quiet sometimes and goes in fits and starts

Agreed - and today it looks like 22 VG-99 users have downloaded your patch - thanks for sharing.

Smash

Well that one threw me a curve ball - for some reason I got Albert King confused with Albert Collins (I know, I know!) and was expecting a face removing stinging tele sound, lol!

Yep I think it's in the ballpark - I'm not an Albert King man - but I run through full range monitors rather than traditional amp and man, this sound has got some weight to it!

Radley

Quote from: Smash on December 02, 2013, 09:27:52 AMthis sound has got some weight to it!
As does Albert King! ;) The tone is intentionally not as biting as a typical Albert tone, but it still exhibits that unique hollowed/out-of-phase bark - it can be made brighter by turning up the guitar's tone setting if desired - I tend to like a bit more 'beefy' & smooth approach... By the way, this patch was constructed using only headphones, so it may need a bit of tweak for live use. Thanks for the input!