JTV-59 with Bigsby

Started by Elantric, May 20, 2013, 07:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vonrang

Quote from: Elantric on February 08, 2014, 10:34:46 AM

Realize that many repair shops live and die by Customer Satisfaction (in this era of internet social networking its particularly crucial)
Its  for this reason the top shops will actually turn down,  any repair/mod if they are treading unknown territory with no recourse to solve the problems created by a poor choice of components

IMHO 90% of piezo loaded bridges spell disaster for the gear we talk about specifically due to mechanically induced adjacent string vibrations creating "crosstalk" that poses huge problems for Alt Tunings,  PU modelling etc.

Its this specific reason why Antares Autotune internal DSP Luthier kit and Fishman Tripleplay use divided hex magnetic pickups -(listen to me now and believe me later)

After using my RackVax recently,  I hear/feel the benefits of using a GK-3 with the Variax DSP Electric Models. They sound more natural and real and allow normal Palm muting techniques.

I now am considering putting the Tyler Variax guts into a small box and then mount Variax Control knobs in yet a smaller box I can mount on a mic stand waist high to change PUs adjust volume etc 18 inches away from my normal guitar controls.
Then use any GK3 guitar to drive it, like the Rackvax I helped Corey design.

I decided to do the work myself short of the inlay work. The inlays were done by Custom Inlays of Caneyville, KY. The photo is of the fretboard being stained with ebony stain and finished with Tru-Oil. The second picture is the finished custom JTV 59 "New Black".

Elantric

Cool!

Looks great  - this is still my favorite guitar, although lately my surf band is ramping up again and Ive been playing my Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster  a lot lately.

whippinpost91850

Elantric, curious have you done anymore work on using a GK pickup with a JTV ?

Elantric

Been up to my eyeballs in work related tasks, I do the FCC /CE Compliance tests for my company, so been away from home several weeks already this year.

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Elantric on April 11, 2014, 10:30:26 AM
Been up to my eyeballs in work related tasks, I do the FCC /CE Compliance tests for my company, so been away from home several weeks already this year.
Sounds like you've been very busy, hope in the future you'll be able to get backl to this. Paul

guitarno

Quote from: Elantric on May 24, 2013, 08:59:46 AM
Finally was able to play my modified JTV-59 a couple hours last night,

highly recommended this setup - I classify the tone of this guitar as landing squarely in Gretsch 6120  zone.  I love the Bigsby too - and the stable bridge setup where I can always plant my Palm on the LP type bridge and never go sharp, like my other guitars with a Strat type tremolo bridge.

@Elantric

Steve,

I know this is an old thread, but I have a JTV-59 that I'd love to put a bigsby on at some point. Right now, I'm looking for a hard shell case for it. What case are you using for your JTV-59 with the Bigsby, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks! 8)
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

Elantric

Factory gig bag only

But Reverend Hard Shell case for SpaceHawk works

http://store.reverendguitars.com/product/standard-teardrop-two-tone-premium-hardshell-case/

admin

QuoteMarcus Truelove
Conversation Starter · 2 hrs
This is becoming my primary guitar! With a few additions it turned into a tone beast.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/VariaxUsers/?tn-str=*F&fref=gs&dti=1465580137096236&hc_location=group_dialog

rockmancentralbob

Quote from: Elantric on February 08, 2014, 10:34:46 AM
After using my RackVax recently,  I hear/feel the benefits of using a GK-3 with the Variax DSP Electric Models. They sound more natural and real and allow normal Palm muting techniques.

I now am considering putting the Tyler Variax guts into a small box and then mount Variax Control knobs in yet a smaller box I can mount on a mic stand waist high to change PUs adjust volume etc 18 inches away from my normal guitar controls.
Then use any GK3 guitar to drive it, like the Rackvax I helped Corey design.

I'm working on a drop in small PC board that allows a raw GK3 mag PU only to drive the tyler variax guts.

I know this is an ancient post, but I am curious as to whatever happened to this project?
Did you ever manage to extract the guts of a JTV and mount them in a box?

I just bought a JTV-89F and a Helix Floorboard today so that I can do all the switching programmatically.
I also just ordered the hexpander board to go in my PRS that has the same Graph Tech Ghost LB6 trem installed that comes in the 89F.

So if I could extract the Variax board from the JTV and mount it in a small box that I could mount to my guitar strap (or close by), in theory I should be able to drive it from either the JTV-89F or my PRS, since they both have the same Graph Tech Ghost pickups. 

I guess the main question is how far I can run the 6 wires from the ghost saddles and the wires for the volume/tone controls?
Or would I be running them from the hexpander?
Or do I not even need the hexpander board at all?