GR-55 - Full Range Sax...

Started by Jim Williams, February 01, 2013, 09:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

here is a Saxophone patch that I have been working on in response to the wimpy sax sound of the GR-55. I Wanted something that had a full range because even when the high notes were sounding mor realistic when you hit the low notes the PCM would just go dull and lifeless. So I realized it would have to be a combo of two PCM tones and they would have to be blended to sound like one instrument. After some experimenting I came up with a full range Sax that could be used for most any song and situation. I have quite a bit of reverb and delay because alot of my testing was with that "live Sexy" sound like in "Turn the Page" and some other 80's "Sexy Sax tones". I also listened to the sax tones in Kontakt and Dimention Pro, When you play them dry they sound horrible but once you apply some verb and delay they come to life. My first mistake was trying to create something pleasant dry...that didn't work, so I went for that very harsh sound and got some good results. I expect you take this patch and pick it apart to understand what all the small adjustments were for( I don't even know I just adjusted things until they sounded correct). Tweak this thing to death and some day soon we will have a good sax patch.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

papabuss

Hey Jim that sounds great! Best sax patch I've heard.
Thx for posting.
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

papabuss

Good starting patch for Candy Dulfers and Dave Stewart's  Lily was here. ;)
Just add the guitar...and use the CTRL or EXP settings.
Nice saxophone!

whippinpost91850

Thanks Jim, I can't wait to try this 8)

Jim Williams

papabuss, Here are the keys and guitar parts...... I am still working on the bass.LOL ;D

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

papabuss

Hi Jim
Thx for posting. I also made one last  week. I think the first original song was one with a 12string guitar although I have only found videos with a 6string by now. Gonna test yours asap. :)