IK Multimedia Blueboard

Started by mbenigni, October 15, 2013, 07:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whippinpost91850

Mark, So it sounds like it's still a little buggy. Thanks for your analysis .Paul

mbenigni

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on June 03, 2015, 02:21:32 PM
Mark, So it sounds like it's still a little buggy. Thanks for your analysis .Paul

The short answer is "yes".  But in fairness to the app developers, "buggy" probably isn't quite the right word.  Truer to say that the environment as a whole is a little unstable when you throw all of these apps (BiasFX, SampleTank, MIDIGuitar, BlueBoard, MIDI Designer) at it at the same time.  It may be that some combination of what I'm doing isn't supported per se - in other words, user error.

I also noticed last night that the version of MIDI Designer I'm using (MIDI Designer Lite) is no longer available for download.  I suspect it's gone without any maintenance through several iOS revs, and it may have been an intermittent demo version to begin with.  (The documentation isn't clear about this, but there's all kinds of sketchy pop-up advertising that might be interfering with stability.)  When I took this app (and a couple of others) out of the equation, things got much better.

I'm now running my MIDIMoose into a MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller (to merge in an expression pedal), then into an Event Processor Plus (which converts the Moose's PC's to CC's and splits the expression pedal to fade in one one channel and fade out on another), then into the iRig Pro via MIDI cable.  With this hardware on the floor, I can get what I need running only BiasFX, MIDIGuitar, and SampleTank, and so far this setup is solid.  Time will tell...

Bottom line:  I think for the typical user who just connects a BlueBoard and runs his/her favorite amp sim app, things would go much more smoothly.

whippinpost91850

Interesting, please keep us informed. Hope the stability holds up

Elantric

I recommend anyone who wants to understand Live Music setup with IOS app on Ipad  / iPhone in 2015 to read the 55 page Kindle book here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15172.0

And read John Walden's Free Music App Guide
http://www.musicappblog.com/free-guide-download

IOS Music App Blog
http://www.musicappblog.com/about-the-music-app-blog/

http://www.musicappblog.com/top-music-apps-current-picks/

mbenigni

QuoteI'm now running my MIDIMoose into a MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller (to merge in an expression pedal), then into an Event Processor Plus (which converts the Moose's PC's to CC's and splits the expression pedal to fade in one one channel and fade out on another), then into the iRig Pro via MIDI cable.  With this hardware on the floor, I can get what I need running only BiasFX, MIDIGuitar, and SampleTank, and so far this setup is solid.  Time will tell...

I needed a way to get all of this into one grab and go package with minimal footprint.  The obvious solution was a custom enclosure ~20"x6"x1.5" that would allow me to hide the MIDI Solutions gear and iRig Pro underneath the MIDI Moose and Hotone expression pedal.  I wandered around Home Depot for a while and lucked into some decking plates and brackets that bolted together to give me almost precisely the dimensions I needed.  Results (photo attached) are almost perfect, with plenty of room to slide in an iPhone if I don't need a big iPad UI in front of me.  Only downside is the resulting weight is a little more than I'd prefer.  It's only like 5 or 10 lbs, but for a controller for an iPhone app, you could argue it defeats the purpose.

Apologies for the "poor man's tolex".  Black duct tape - only temporary.  :)

Vade

@"It's only like 5 or 10 lbs, but for a controller for an iPhone app, you could argue it defeats the purpose."

I think that'd be being too critical. It looks like you've got yourself a solid solution in a small package to me. Gratz!
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

mbenigni

QuoteI think that'd be being too critical. It looks like you've got yourself a solid solution in a small package to me. Gratz!

Thanks, Vade!

whippinpost91850

Mark, Very compact design,  Interesting are you using an FTP for SampleTank

mbenigni

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on June 15, 2015, 08:58:33 AM
Mark, Very compact design

Thanks, Paul!  Just in time for me to say, "screw it", and buy a Helix LOL.  :)

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on June 15, 2015, 08:58:33 AMInteresting are you using an FTP for SampleTank

No, I never did jump on the FTP bandwagon.  Cost and - early on, anyway - complexity of the software deliverables kept me at a safe distance.  I'm just running JamOrigin MIDI Guitar on the iPad (or iPhone) to convert audio to MIDI.  It's not perfect, but it's surprisingly capable for a lot of uses.  And you can grab any old guitar you please, which is nice.

whippinpost91850

Cool. I just downloaded Midi Guitar yesterday but didn't have  a chance to try it.  Will do on next day off.  I agree I was turned off the FTP by the troubles some seemed to be having with software.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Helix, but as nice as the interface is I can't wrap my head around the L6 tones I heard on the demos that are out there.

I wonder if the new Helix controller will have the same kind of  flexibility ass the Helix itself, If so my Kemper Remote might go byby

mbenigni

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on June 15, 2015, 09:27:36 AM
I almost pulled the trigger on the Helix, but as nice as the interface is I can't wrap my head around the L6 tones I heard on the demos that are out there.

I hear ya - they're pretty bad.  But I remain optimistic, because I've heard similar tone from every Line 6 product since the early PODs, but I've also gotten plenty of decent tones that sound nothing like that.  I have to assume the Helix will sound markedly better than a POD HD - especially with carefully selected IRs loaded - and that should put it firmly in "good enough" territory.  Emphasis: should.

It is hard to fight the GAS right now, especially because there's the ticking clock with the 20% discount Elantric posted about.  And the street value of a used KPA is changing with every new forum discussion of the Helix.  Tick tock tick tock...

whippinpost91850

Mark, I don't think I would worry about the KPA price anytime in the near future. 8)

mbenigni

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on June 15, 2015, 02:07:20 PM
Mark, I don't think I would worry about the KPA price anytime in the near future. 8)

Cheers to that - I hope you're right!  :)

Headless68

Info - The two TRS expansion sockets on the Blue Board state that you can use expression or switches - I wired up a pair of switches as per FS6 / FS7 but only one switch responds - so you can have an additional two switches if you dont need a volume / wah type expression but you cant have an extra 4 switches

Also another thing I had not realised - you can power it via usb if you want - there is a port in the battery compartment

no option for unlatch mode is a pain :-)

Elantric

QuoteAlso another thing I had not realised - you can power it via usb if you want - there is a port in the battery compartment

Have you confirmed this works?

Headless68

Saw the port & checked in the manual which says its for permanent placement on a pedal board - haven't tried it yet - hoping the battery lasts a while so I don't need to run USB to my pedals
Can give it a try though

Elantric

QuoteSaw the port & checked in the manual which says its for permanent placement on a pedal board

Post a copy of the manual - only official info on status on an IK BlueBoard Owners Manual is  this

http://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7499

Re: iRig Blueboard PDF Manual ?
Postby Obitheincredible » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:59 pm

We don't supply one outside of the iRig BlueBoard packaging and the app under help.

and the Blueboard IOS App "Help" and my 2 year old paper manual make no mention of the USB Port in the battery compartment.

I was an early IK BlueBoard adopter, mine has a sticker covering the USB Port in the battery compartment  saying - "Do not use" .

Never tried it for power

Wonder if a MIDI snooper (SNOIZE, MIDI-OX, etc) might detect any transmission from IK BlueBoard of MIDI over USB?

bbob

See attached Blueboard Manual pages pertaining to USB port.

Headless68

Beat me to it

Looks like it must flow data too then as its used for firmware updates

bbob

Here is the entire BlueBoard start guide that I was able to download from my IK Multimedia user account.

Elantric

Thanks!

The very last page indicates this is the "Rev 2" of the BlueBoard Manual

"PN: STG-IRIGBBOARD-0002"

My older manual only said
USB Port
This port (located into the battery compartment) is used exclusively for service and firmware updates. In the event a firmware update is needed in the future, the update will come with detailed installation instructions.

this one now has the updated info

USB Power
On fixed installations this port can also be used to POWER iRig BlueBoard instead of batteries. For example if you plan to include iRig BlueBoard in a more complex pedalboard with integrated power-supply units, you can fix iRig BlueBoard to your pedalboard with Bi-adhesive Velcro, and you can connect a standard Micro-USB cable to this socket and to a regular 5V-USB power supply unit.

I'll try hooking up and see if this is a Class compliant USB Port with "MIDI over USB"  - might work, might not work.

Elantric

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/irig-blueboard-functionality-with-mac.1567525/

Just to share the information:

IK Multimedia Blueboard works with my old MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009 - OSX El Captain). I'm using the Asus BT400 USB adapter. After you insert the adapter, you have to open the Terminal app (in Utilities folder) and type this code:

sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=always

Press enter and the app will ask for your password. After typing your password and hitting enter again, all you have to do is reboot your Mac. [​IMG]

You just have to do it once. After that, insert the adapter whenever you want to use Bluetooth Low Energy and it's done!

Toby Krebs

Just started revisiting my  Blueboard with IPad Air 2  and various guitar apps. Mostly Bias/ Jamup.Really liking it a lot more than before.In stompbox mode it works very well.Will try some Boss footswitches in to the Exp 2 jack.Another switch would be very cool.Jamup sounds really good into my Alto 10 in speakers cranked up nice and loud.

fusionman

Hello to all. Can you recommend any simple two or three button pedal for storage/record or play the daw functions on my Mac Mojave? The blueboard is ok? or any usb pedal? the daw is garageband or reaper.

Thanks!

ttk

Yes, the blueboard will work just fine as long as you plan to control your DAW with midi.