VG-99 - WOW price has dropped

Started by Panthersn, January 07, 2015, 12:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panthersn

I just found a few modules on ebay (minus the GK3) for just over $600  :o.  That is almost to hard to pass up.  Does the 99 have any of the GR-55 pad sounds?  I found numerous demos but most of them have crazy synth sounds.   I'm thinking about picking one up and putting my GP-10 up for sale.

I assume if there is a 99 replacement announced at Winter NAMM it will have a high price tag.

supernicd

My 2 cents.  When evaluating the synth side of the VG-99, I wouldn't base my decision solely on the official Roland product demos.  With all due respect to the Roland product demonstrators, who are all great players, musicians, and sound designers... I think they were handed one of the most complex and deep guitar processors ever created [still true in 2014] and given a very short amount of time to come up with some demos.  They did well, but I think they only barely touched on it's synth capabilities.

Do watch them, there's good material there.  Not sure you'll find the pad sounds you seek there though.  Also check out some of the VGF members' soundcloud pages - examples from people who have had considerably more time to work with the 99.  Here are a few to get you started.  These 3 member's pages came to mind because they are still actively and regularly sharing 99 demos and/or patches, and I'm pretty sure you'll find some pleasing VG-99 pad sounds on these links.  But there are plenty more great VG-99 sound designers here.  Just keep browsing the forum - you'll find them.

https://soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb
https://soundcloud.com/rolandvg99
https://soundcloud.com/smashmashups

Yes, I think the VG-99 absolutely can create great pad sounds.  A word of caution.  For me anyway, getting a great synth sound from it is not as intuitive as with the GR-55.  A lot of times with the 55, you can pick the PCM sound that fits, perhaps tweak the filter or envelope, and run with it.  The VG-99 programs unlike any other synth I've encountered.  It's extremely deep and complex, perhaps bottomless, and requires a mindset all its own.  But very capable and rewarding if you're willing to invest the time to discover its secrets.  It's HRM synth tones also track nearly perfectly, and without any noticable latency.

I bought my gently used VG-99 about a year ago.  I have only scratched the surface.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

QuoteWhen evaluating the synth side of the VG-99, I wouldn't base my decision solely on the official Roland product demos.  With all due respect to the Roland product demonstrators, who are all great players, musicians, and sound designers... I think they were handed one of the most complex and deep guitar processors ever created [still true in 2014] and given a very short amount of time to come up with some demos.  They did well, but I think they only barely touched on it's synth capabilities.

Exactly!

The "burned in ROM" Factory presets on most Roland Gear are result of a short period spent with the new gear over a brief hands on  one week period before the Trade show product announcement.

I vividly remember standing shoulder to shoulder with Neal Schon at the 1995 Winter NAMM Roland booth, as we were both scratching our heads trying to figure out how to make sounds with the "beta" firmware" Roland VG-8 that was first shown to the public that year. The final initial release version firmware was very different!   

Panthersn

Thanks for the great info!!!  I think I will pull the trigger. The deciding factor was the superb PC editor (should make digging deep fun), and it perfectly mates with the FC-300.   I do miss my GR-55 a little, those pad PCMs were great, I didn't have to do much tweaking at all.  There were only a few of the solo instruments that I used live, mainly for Christmas music, the Oboe and French horn were my favorites.   

aliensporebomb

The VG-99 is the king of lush pads.  If you want to get the type of lush pads similar to the ones Fripp gets for his soundscapes, the 99 will do them brilliantly.

Just an Example:
https://soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb/after-sleeping

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Panthersn

Quote from: aliensporebomb on January 07, 2015, 07:24:42 PM
The VG-99 is the king of lush pads.  If you want to get the type of lush pads similar to the ones Fripp gets for his soundscapes, the 99 will do them brilliantly.

Just an Example:
https://soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb/after-sleeping

Very nice!!! I assume you can "freeze" one of those pads using the ribbon and solo over the top.  Thank would come in very handy for some Pink Floyd  ;) ;)

supernicd

QuoteThe "burned in ROM" Factory presets on lots of Roland Gear was result of a short period spent with the new gear over a brief hands on  one week period before the Trade show product announcement.

I vividly remember standing shoulder to shoulder with Neal Schon at the 1995 Winter NAMM Roland booth, as we were both scratching our heads trying to figure out how to make sounds with the "beta" firmware" Roland VG-8 that was first shown to the public that year. The final initial release version firmware was very different!

That's a great story.  I can kind of picture the puzzled looks. :)   By the time I jumped on board the VG train, there was so much accumulated knowledge, examples, demos, patches, etc. here that it gave me a huge jumpstart.  It's difficult to imagine being one of the pioneer users one of these units without the VGF user community.  Not sure I'd have kept it very long because I may have never realized its potential.  Like you say, the factory ROM presets are a bit underwhelming given the big investment you just made, and the manual is complete but more of a technical reference than an exciting guided tour.

Today's used prices are about what I paid for mine about a year ago @Panthersn, and actually they might be rebounding slightly.  The VG-99 seems to be holding its market value around this point.  My guess is that it will continue to hold there unless/until Roland or someone else makes a unit that really surpases it, and that'll be quite a feat, especially in the current economy.  I guess we'll see what 2015 brings!

Yes, you can freeze not only synth type sounds but even COSM guitar sounds with the ribbon, D-BEAM, or a pedal.  Amongst many other surreal things that you can do with it.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

Back in 1995, Guitar To MIDI systems had been around 10 years.
But the revolution of the Roland VG-8 was the ultra low latency response for playing and generating any known guitar tone and faithful recreations of many popular recorded guitar /amp/fx sounds, all in one box. 

1995 was the year for Roland  / Boss to formally introduce the "VIRTUAL STUDIO" with  VGuitar, VDrums, and VS-880 VStudio were born, all had COSM Technology. My actual 1st product that employed this tech was the Boss SE-50 Half Rack FX unit from 1990, and VS-880 with its COSM FX  expansion board which contained most of the COSM Guitar Amp Models we know today. It had a deep MIDI Spec,  I even played a couple jams using nothing but a VS-880 and a MIDI Footcontroller. At $2500 the VG-8 was rare and priced out of my reach. Only folks like Reeves Gabrels / Adrian Belew could afford to own one. In 1996 I got a Boss GT-5 and used that until 1998 when I could afford $1600 for a used VG-8.

Later in 2004 I got my first Variax, and frankly it was hard to stomach the the severe Line-6 marketing hype and General consensus on Guitar Forums that

"Line-6 invented Guitar  modeling, Line-6 invented DSP Alt Tuning".

While the Roland VG systems had already been there, done that, sold the T-Shirt - 10 years before - however at over $2K for a VG-8, it was only understood by a rarified well heeled breed with only Aure Prochaska's www.VG-8.com ( of CalTech fame) www.aure.com  to set the record straight. In 2005 Aure retired from guitar to focus on other pursuits, and the VG-99 was soon announced, so all these cumulative events drove me to create VGuitarForums, with the goal of doing a better job of educating all guitarists about this relatively accessible technology. Most 20 year old used Roland Gear still works good as new, and the fact that in 2015 a gently used 1997 Roland VG-8EX can be found for $150 is something I predicted, but represents an AMAZING VALUE for guitarist interested in sonic exploration
There's never been a more affordable time to jump into the 13 pin world of COSM Guitar Modeling. Hopefully today when you see a Guitar with the GK-3 at a live show, you don't instantly jump to the conclusion that the guitarist is just triggering a high latency MIDI Synth.

supernicd

Quoteso all these cumulative events drove me to create VGuitarForums, with the goal of doing a better job of educating all guitarists about this relatively accessible technology.

From my perspective, mission accomplished!!  ;D
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

ericar123

I just bought a used VG99 and pickup for 450 and a new demo VB99 without pickup for 495.

ericar123

I would expect that prices will go back up on used VG99 or VB99 since no replacement was mentioned at NAMM.

vanceg

Quote from: ericar123 on January 08, 2015, 07:51:41 AM
I just bought a used VG99 and pickup for 450 and a new demo VB99 without pickup for 495.

If you decide you want to sell the VB-99, I'm looking to buy one. 

vanceg

Quote from: ericar123 on February 02, 2015, 11:11:49 AM
I would expect that prices will go back up on used VG99 or VB99 since no replacement was mentioned at NAMM.

I doubt that this year's NAMM will have any effect at all on the used prices of VG or VB-99's. They have been discontinued for long enough now, I don't think anyone is realistically expecting a replacement for them...maybe ever.

admin

arkieboy

Quote from: admin on January 02, 2019, 03:09:21 PM
Used Prices are rising

for used Roland VG-99  - now average $600 ( was $450 )

I was going to say, $600 sounded like a rise to me!!  I got mine for £400 ish sans GK and FC.  You'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers ...
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

alexmcginness

Ive got 4 VG-99s. Im ready for the desert island. :-)
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

gumbo

Quote from: alexmcginness on January 02, 2019, 08:19:09 PM
Ive got 4 VG-99s. Im ready for the desert island. :-)

...I'm often told that I'm ready for the Dessert Island..   ::)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Headless68

I seem to be able to pick up VG-99's in the UK for around £350 (2017 - 2018)
Lowest paid £75 (sold as not working - needed firmware)
Latest (later 2018) £400 with FC300
They seem to be higher on Ebay, but is anyone buying

2pods

I wish I could find one nice and cheap in the UK.
Any chance of finding me one, I'm in Scotland ? ;D

Whereabouts are you getting them ?
I couldn't even find one on eBay except for one being sold with the stand, floor controller, and a guitar with GK pickup........oh, yes it was in Australia
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

gumbo

Quote from: 2pods on April 26, 2019, 04:07:05 PM
I wish I could find one nice and cheap in the UK.
Any chance of finding me one, I'm in Scotland ? ;D

Whereabouts are you getting them ?
I couldn't even find one on eBay except for one being sold with the stand, floor controller, and a guitar with GK pickup........oh, yes it was in Australia

...Headless only tells you about them after he has bought them..... ;D

gumbo

You just (also?) gotta love this one....   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roland-VB-99-Bass-Amp-Effect-Unit-BOX-ONLY-Tatty/254209941185

...I guess it had to start happening sooner or later...   ::)

2pods

I saw the box thing last week and had to look at it twice. A box !
Some people have no shame  ;D
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay