Saving GK on/off per patch not working. Help Please!!

Started by glennfin, August 23, 2014, 02:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennfin

Hi folks.

I have my first live gig with my VG99 coming up in a few weeks and I've been busy programming patches getting ready for the big night.
For some patches I need to use the 13 pin VG hex output from the guitar, (GK on) for others I need to use just the mag signal. (GK off)

I thought you save the GK on/off setting per patch but it's not working. (I'm using the VG editor). In the "GK settings" screen, there is a switch to select "set mode, PATCH or SYSTEM" I of course select "PATCH" but when I write/save the patch with the GK on or off, it doesn't save the setting. It stays on the last selected GK on or off.

Help please!..

Thanks

Elantric

The VG-99's "GK Connection"  setting is confusing for most VG-99 users

This is always a  Global setting, and not part of any parameters which can be assigned on a "per patch" basis, 
(See below for the official Roland documentation on this )

If you use a mix of 13 pin and non 13 pin electric guitars,  you have two options.

(A)  Set the GK Connection ( GK CONCT) to "AUTO"  - then you must Unplug the 13 pin cable from the VG-99's "GK IN" jack anytime you use normal Electric guitars with 1/4" plug connection to the VG-99's 1/4"  Guitar Input   

or
(B) Leave both 13pin GK cable and regular guitar 1/4"  cables connected to the VG-99, then you Must use the procedure below and set the GK-Connection (GK CONCT) to the appropriate type for the guitar currently in use.
   * Set GK CONCT to ON - for 13 pin guitars
   * Set GK CONCT to OFF - for regular 1/4"  Electric Guitars

Brent Flash

One way to get the same result is to save the NORMAL PU level up/GK Pickup down for those and GK level up/Normal PU down for those. You can find this in the COSM GUITAR area.

Elantric

QuoteOne way to get the same result is to save the NORMAL PU level up/GK Pickup down for those and GK level up/Normal PU down for those. You can find this in the COSM GUITAR area.

That works too - in this case above set GK CONNECTION to "AUTO"

glennfin

Thanks To Brent and Elantric!..... I played around after I posted yesteday and found the normal PU - GK PU level/balance controls in the COSM section the best way to go as Brent suggested. Still wondering what that "set mode patch/system" switch is actually doing ? ... but it's ok just using the normal/GK levels in the COSM section.

Quote from: Brent Flash on August 23, 2014, 03:20:39 PM
One way to get the same result is to save the NORMAL PU level up/GK Pickup down for those and GK level up/Normal PU down for those. You can find this in the COSM GUITAR area.

Elantric

QuoteStill wondering what that "set mode patch/system" switch is actually doing ?

If set to "Patch" this allows the VG-99 to use a different "GK Type" for each patch.

The VG-99's MIDI tracking , regardless GK Hex PU type is supremely influenced by the GK String sensitivity setting. Adjust that to taste for best MIDI tracking. Do not be surprised if the GK String sensitivity setting that works Best for MIDI tracking is different than the setting you use for other VG-99 operations. I use several VG-99 GK types as "memory Slot" assignments -  with only the string sensitivity being unique for each GK type. i.e one for Acoustic emulation, One for Metal, one for Blues, etc. Yes I'll use all the Piezo GK types with various unique string sensitivity and EQ settings to taste -  Even though I only use a GK-3 Mag Hex PU.   Then when building a patch I can select the appropriate GK type with my pre - programmed string sensitivity that works best for the VG-99 patch or GK to  MIDI conversion.

Oh yes -  I think it would be worth mentioning that you have to set the parameter SET MODE in the GK SETTINGS pane to PATCH not system to have access to different GK types while building your patch. Many were having difficulty with this.