VG-99 - USB and SPDIF - VG99 and M-Audio 410

Started by FinnArild, July 09, 2008, 06:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinnArild

Hi - i am in the process of recording my next album (progressive rock concept album) and yesterday I was recording my classical guitar (a real one :) ..) through my VG99. The thing is, in addition to recording the two speaker/effects I set up for the guitar via USB I also wanted to have the raw guitar output recorded, so I sent that through SPDIF into my M-Audio 410. This involved syncing the 410 up to the VG99 clock.

I use Asio4all drivers to get the different inputs into Cubase.

This resulted in a couple of weird issues:
- the SPDIF recording was about 50ms off the USB recording
- on certain recordings the SPDIF recording was garbled - some phase issue.

Does anyone have experience with recording the VG99s different digital outputs at once (USB/SPDIF) or have any idea of how I should go about this?

Elantric

My 2 cents - recording mutliple digital domain signals is always a headache
Unplug the VG-99 USB and S/PDIF connections.
Use the VG-99 Balanced XLR sub Outs - they are +4dB line level - use XLR female to 1/4" TRS male cables and feed the balanced TRS Line Inputs on the REAR of  your mAudio 410. this will yield very acceptable recording quality, and bypasses the extra noisy gain stage on the 410's  Front Combo Jack Inputs. I realize the 410 Front inputs have a Mic / Line switch - but use the 410's rear Balanced Line TRS inputs with a TRS balanced cable connection from the VG-99 - for cleanest recordings with your setup.

Elantric

If you must mix multiple SPDIF signals (VG-99+ Voicelive+ Digitech Vocalist Pro + Vox Tonelabe LE all at once via S/PDIF in digital domain- this works

Roland M-1000
http://www.proaudioreview.com/june03/roland_m-1000.shtml

+ Can synchronize (and digitally mix) four completely different digital inputs

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=533

FinnArild

Thanks, I'll use the USB for recording and sub-out for the clean sound, I think. I would love an M-1000 - but I think I'll spend that money on studio time instead :) ...

fokof

Anytime you use a SPDIF connection , you have to "slave" you clock to it.
Your VG99 has to become the Master clock of your system , or elso you'll have "glitches"

I pass my SPDIF through my BigBen and set it to SPDIF as the master.