VG-99 Mag PU Only -Acoustic sound (on Crafter SA-TMVS)

Started by sixeight, October 03, 2009, 06:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixeight

I have been struggling in getting a real full sound on my Crafter SA-TMVS (see https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,359.msg7526.html#msg7526)

But after a lot of fiddling I came with a great sound. The mp3 first gives the direct sound as it comes from my Crafter (no effects/amps or eq.) Then the patch kicks in.

As this is a "mag PU patch", you will need an piezo style guitar to get a similar result. The real acoustic ring comes from real acoustic strings (Elixer Phosphor-Bronze).

I am really happy with my setup now, as I can switch between acoustic en electric sounds mid-song.

Actually this patch also has an electric guitar on channel B. just press Control-2 to activate.

notnomiistakes

oh yes I hear when the patch kicks in.  nice acoustic sound

erikbojerik

Hope its not too late to get some info on this! 

When "the patch kicks in" are you layering the COSM model on top of the Crafter piezo tone?  Or is it COSM all by itself with no Crafter direct signal?

sixeight

Quote from: erikbojerik on January 19, 2012, 09:05:58 AM
Hope its not too late to get some info on this! 

When "the patch kicks in" are you layering the COSM model on top of the Crafter piezo tone?  Or is it COSM all by itself with no Crafter direct signal?

First part of the mp3 is just a straight through sound from the Crafter.
Second part is  a specific patch which layers the Crafter and the model of the Martin D-28.
Without the Crafter or some other piezo guitar, this patch sound rubbish.

The secret lies in the 6 ms delay of channel A. It really makes it come alive. It must be some weird combfilter thing, though in theory I can't explain it, as both the piezo of the Crafter and the virtual D28 are delayed an equal amount, and therefore there should not be a combfiltering effect, apart from direct sound seeping through. Anyway, it does work nicely and I have't been able to come up with anything else that sounds better.

I am not sure if anybody else tried this patch on an acoustic guitar and got a similar result.

Elantric

QuoteThe secret lies in the 6 ms delay of channel A.

This is the independent "Channel Delay" for each signal path. This is the big secret unique in the  VG-99 which in capable hands allows comb filtering combinations to create/remove signal phase cancellations for best sound. Welcome to Sound Design 201

erikbojerik

Cool thanks - I have been tinkering with layering the VG's acoustic models on top of the acoustic models from my Variax.  I've not gotten to Combfiltering 201 just yet, but have noticed that I can get some cool tones by EQing them differently.