GR-55 - Control GR-55 with H&K Grandmeister amp with midi out?

Started by treewiz, April 06, 2014, 10:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treewiz

I have a H&K Grandmeister amp with midi in and out , I've got the midi control pedal connected to the amp midi in  and the midi out of the amp to midi in GR55 and both units set on channel 1 midi. I can get the Gr to respond only in the fix midi mode but not program mode.There is a midi out on the controller pedal which I tried connecting to the GR55 out midi to no avail. The commands only go in sequence 01- 127. Is there a way to get them to communicate in the program mode so when assign the PC program on the Gr55 to call up the chosen preset?

whippinpost91850

Treewiz, What MIDI pedal are you using?

treewiz

I have the factory H&K FSM-432 mkIII that contols the amp.

whippinpost91850

Will that pedal allow you to send a pc # of say 32 or 44?  I use a Berringer FCB1010/w UNO chip to send sepearate PC #v to my GR55 and my Kemper with no problem.

whippinpost91850

Treewiz, Just googled your pedal and it doesn't appear that your pedal will do what you want it to. If you are trying to send channel change to your HK and recall a patch say # 38 on the GR55 you are going to have to get a pedal that will  send multiple channel PCs. If you only need 4 patches from the GR55 you could possibly make your pedal a little workable

treewiz

Thanks for trying to help me. I am able to get the Grandmeister 36 to call up the presets in order in the fix mode in the midi section of system but I'll have arrange my presets in order (01-what ever up) in the user section I guess.

gumtown

GR-55 in "Fixed" midi map mode can change with only a PC (patch change) command),
set it to "programmable" midi map mode, and you also need to send "bank" and "control change" data for the GR-55 to know which patch "bank" is being requested.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

treewiz

With the midi in the Grandmeister 36 it doesn't respond to the program setting in the Gr55 only the fixed setting. I don't think the Grandmeister 36 is capable of that communication of midi perhaps. 

Mrchevy

treewiz, I looked at the manual for the Grandmeister and it looks like the midi cc#'s control several parameters on the amp itself. If the pedal is sending patch change commands to the GR55, you could try mapping the GR55 patches to your Grandmeister presets. I made a midi mapping tutorial a while back, try this link and see if it helps you any.

If you put your Grandmeister in place of the GT100 in the video, this might work for you.

On a different not, how are you liking the H&K. I just got the Tubemeister 18 a few weeks ago. I like it but I wish there was a way to control the lead boost on it. It's a pretty big jump in volume. I had some success controlling it using a limiter in the effects loop. Been trying different things with the effects. Nice amp but still trying to dial in a final setup with it. Sounds sweet with an Egnater Tweaker 1x12 cabinet. 
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

treewiz

Hi Mr. Chevy, I have watched your video a couple of times and what I am finding out is the Grandmeister will not respond to the PC mapping setting only the fix setting therefore I had no choice but to program the Gr55 user patches I have chosen in # order with my Grandmeister presets, 01 thru 128  for now until I either try a different midi pedal which I don't think is the answer because I think it is the amp's limited midi control or find another solution or live with what I've got, which by the way is one of the most coolest amps i have owned and that's alot of them, my last two were a Marshall JVM 410h and the last one a Mesa Boogie  Mark V. I own a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II right now which is of course is top shelf modeling and effects which spoils me in every gear comparison I make. But this little devil (Grandmeister 36) is really the cats meeyow for me in the tube amp category with it's diverse programmable features and ultra light weight. The effects are passable but that's because of my Axe-FxII ownership. Thanks for replying.   

shopstartuk

Hi

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am thinking of getting the Grandmeister as I would like use the onboard effects instead of my GT100 but I need it to talk to my GR55 but I dont want to really have to match all the presets in order.

Can the GR55 itself be used as the MIDI controller, ie. Midi out on GR55 to Midi in on the H&K Grandmeister?

cheers
Fender Strat Plus Delux
Fender Tele 60th
Roland GR 55