MIDI Thru Box ( MIDI Y adapter?)

Started by AngeloEvs, November 17, 2016, 06:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngeloEvs

I use  a Zoom 8050 midi controller for patch changes only but the only way I can get both my synths to change patches is to use a split Midi lead and have the Zoom connected to both Midi inputs.    I have tried connecting the GR1 midi out to the GR 30 midi in but the GR1 will only send programming change messages via the foot pedals, which are not accessible.

It works fine but is it ok to use a split Midi cable to send Patch change data to more than one device or should I be investing in a midi junction box.  That's all I use it for, changing patches and banks but do not want to risk damaging the Zoom.

Brent Flash

You won't damage anything with a MIDI splitter device can't say what will happen with a split cable. MIDI OUT does not retransmit MIDI received, MIDI THOUGH allows the MIDI data stream to continue from one device to another.

AngeloEvs

Thanks for the quick replies,   the MIDI Y cable is just a simple parallel conection with no circuitry, buffers, etc, feeding the two GR Midi inputs.   It seems fine and patches are switching without issues but thought it better to get some feedback. 

At the moment I have a foot volume controller with a fairly long cable (dual pots inside) connected to each GR's expression pedal inputs.  It would be more sensible to simply connect the volume pedal to the Zoom Expression pedal input and control both the GR synths via MIDI but I dont know if MIDI Volume data is transmitted as a continual set of data that only changes with movement of the pedal or wether the data stops and then updates with pedal movement. If its a continual stream of data the I suppose it could be excessive regards source current.

If I can source a MIDI through box at a reasonable price might be an idea to get one, the ones I have seen seem to be overkill regards what I need and quite expensive.

Anyway, thanks!

Elantric

QuoteI use  a Zoom 8050 midi controller for patch changes only but the only way I can get both my synths to change patches is to use a split Midi lead and have the Zoom connected to both Midi inputs.    I have tried connecting the GR1 midi out to the GR 30 midi in but the GR1 will only send programming change messages via the foot pedals, which are not accessible.

Roland GR-1 MANUAL
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GR-1_OM.pdf

Roland GR-30 FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7741.0

If I can source a MIDI through box at a reasonable price might be an idea to get one, the ones I have seen seem to be overkill regards what I need and quite expensive.

IMHO - you might save an expensive repair down the road by locating a proper  MIDI thru box

Brent Flash

Quote from: AngeloEvs on November 17, 2016, 09:50:30 AM
but I dont know if MIDI Volume data is transmitted as a continual set of data that only changes with movement of the pedal or wether the data stops and then updates with pedal movement. If its a continual stream of data the I suppose it could be excessive regards source current.
MIDI data is only sent when the pedal is moved.

AngeloEvs

Thanks to all and doh!  I should have done a bit of research regards midi inputs as I hadn't realised how simple a Midi input circuit is.  As far as the Zoom output interface is concerned, it sees an led with a 220 ohm series resistor and that s all it sees.  Connect two inputs and of course the Zoom sees two 220 ohms in parallel and effectively, a single resistor or 110 ohms, hence the doubling of the source current.

The solution is to place  a 100 ohm resistor  into the pin 4 midi line to restore the input resistance close to the original 220 ohm value and the correct  source current.     

Just tested it  and it works perfectly!

Thanks to all......, :)

admin

====

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F3XZVY8/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1
DriverGenius USB MIDI Interface- MIDI 4X4 Splitter- 4-In-4-Out Controller Music Box

If you're working with MIDI hardware, eventually you'll need a way to connect all your instruments together. The DriverGenius MIDIBOX 4×4 is a MIDI interface offering flexible signal routings and dependable connections to keep your music productions moving forward.Connect the DriverGenius MIDIBOX 4×4 to your computer using a USB type-B cable, and the behavior you get is essentially what many modern Electronic Musicians have learned to expect from a bus powered MIDI interface.DriverGenius MIDIBOX addresses a total of 64 discrete channels of MIDI I/O via USB, allowing you to simultaneously connect a variety of MIDI devices. Bus-powered architecture provides the option of totally mobile operation.

USB / MIDI THRU MODE SWITH BUTTON - Free to chose the mode of the interface

■USB MODE - Only the red led light on under this mode,midi box work as a basic midi interface. this is the normal operation. MIDI signals from your sequencer applications can be recorded via the in and outputs of midi box.
■MODE THRU 1 - All GREEN input LEDS LIGHT ON
Input A to Output A , Input B to Output B , Input C to Output C , Input D to Output D
■MODE THRU 2 - Input A to Output A,B,C,D
■MODE THRU 3 - Input B to Output A,B,C,D
■MODE THRU 4 - Input C to Output A,B,C,D
■MODE THRU 5 - Input D to Output A,B,C,D
■MERGER MODE - All data from input A and B are mixed(merged)and sent to outputs A,B,C,D.
The USB connection with the computer is inactive.