Atomic amps

Started by Kevin M, June 23, 2008, 10:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin M

For those of you playing small gigs, or larger ones where you mic your amp....or for those of you just playing around at home, you might consider the Atomic amps: http://www.atomicamps.com/.  Decent amplification without a lot of added color and good, personalized customer service.

Elantric

They are decent , a tube power amp+ guitar speaker available in  two  power  versions - an 18 watt and a 50 watt. The 50 watt is available in 1x12 or larger 2 x 12   - work well provided you are primarily playing guitar tones they deliver an all in one solution - you must adjust the EQ for the atomic, which will be different than what you would set your VG-99 EQ when running direct to headphones, or into a board feed.

http://www.atomicamps.com/products.html

If you are playing primarily rock guitar  - this could be the ticket.

However  if you desire to emulate acoustic tones, & synth tones, or Albert Lee  / Jerry Donahue Country stuff -  you may want to look elsewhere, as the Atomic amps are limited to 100-6khz bandwidth due to its guitar speaker- just like a guitar amp, they are not a full range system, nor flat frequency response. But the POD XT crowd loves them.

As a perspective My current favorite VG-99 live rig is a pair of fullrange 2x 10 Eden bass cabs, powered by an 800 watt stereo PA power amp.  = Headroom and fidelity 25-20kHz, it accurately reproduces what the VG-99 feeds it, and it saves time with minimum re-EQing.  You can chase your tale "polishing the polish" when configuring DSP guitar rigs. 

I should state my experience when feeding a COSM DSP emulated tube amp (like the VG-99) into a real tube amp (Atomic, Peavey Classic 50/50, etc) was less than stellar = too much squish, and lack of definition and headroom,  but your mileage may vary.

"if it sounds good, it is good"

telengard

I have a 50W and love it.  I haven't gigged yet w/ the VG-99 and it though, sounds great at practice.  Only the GT-8 and Guitar Rig 2.

~telengard
Still stuck in the 1980s.  My mame cabinet, mini home studio, and 8 bit game room:
www.briansturk.com