String type ... does it matter?

Started by jayson, January 16, 2014, 05:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayson

I recently put on some Elixir nanoweb coated guitar strings to try them out and noticed that my TP is not tracking as well as I remember it when I was using Blue Steels.  I adjusted the sensativity levels a bit but seem to getting more ghost notes high up on the fret board.  Could it be the strings or just my imagination?

Cheers,

jayson

Elantric

Yes - I do think String gauge and type make a difference.

I have good results with Fender Bullets .010-.52 - as these are a polished round wound with less overtones and less fretting hand finger noise. 

GHS "Gus" Strings are also "Polished Round Wound, with less noise, less fret buzz.

Read more here:
http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/roundwound-halfwound-flatwound.html

CodeSmart

I also imagine that the piano patches on GR-55 works better with D'Adario than with Elixir. But....again could be improved style and setup. Just a feeling.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

GraemeJ

I'm with Elantric on this.  For best tracking (with any pitch to midi gear) flatwound and the heaviest gauge you can handle - keep the overtones to the barest minimum.

mojo thorne

I'm using Elixir polyweb strings on my acoustic with a GK-3 mounted on it.  The tracking seems to be as good as my GK-3 strat, and slightly better than my xtSA.  Based on recommendations from some people that told me coated strings would interfere with the performance of a guitar synth, I bought some DR Zebras before I put the GK-3 on my Tak.  However, I've been satisfied with the results using the Elixirs, and I have become accustomed to the sound of that guitar with the polywebs after many years of use.  They seem to tame the brightness of the guitar just enough to keep it sounding warm without taking out the sparkle.  I didn't like the nanowebs the one time that I tried them and have not gone back.

I will try the Zebras at the next string change to see if there is a noticeable difference in tracking on the synth patches.  I obviously expect there to be a significant difference in the direct sound from the acoustic with that change, so the synth tracking & COSM sounds would have to be a lot better for me to make the switch permanently.

Elantric

IMHO the technical level of the players hands ( with years of technique of string control and knowledge of muting non played strings)   plays a MUCH larger roll than string type.
Myself, Ive never had a problem with most guitar to MIDI systems - while for others its quite a battle.

I really hesitate to say this - but its the old garbage in garbage out phrase comes to mind.

Practice by Recording your dry electric guitar with a D.I box  and upon playback really listen to all the squeak's, unintentional noises, hand scraps, pick scratching hammer on  hammer off noises. Work on your playing technique to minimize these, and your MIDI guitar efforts will be much improved.

And yes Flatwounds can help - try D'Addario "Chromes" flat wounds - they bend like typical round wound strings

Action makes a difference too - don't go too low

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4691.0

Toby Krebs

Classical guitar technique works best for midi guitar. I am a jazz and rock player but I was taught by a very tough classical teacher/jazz piano player(not a synthesist) and several jazz alto/tenor sax players.Without all that discipline re: my left hand I don't think I would have been able to play all this GR stuff. I have found strings to be not as important as I thought.

bbob

Quote from: mojo thorne on January 17, 2014, 07:39:24 AM
I will try the Zebras at the next string change

I tried several sets of DR Zebras in the past.  IME the low E and A strings lost their tone very quickly.  Like within a day or two.  YMMV.

Bob

jayson

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I think I'm going to restring with something else.  The Elixir's seem to be stiff and just feel different. I think they might be changing my playing style and making me pick harder thereby creating more ghost notes.

Cheers,

jayson

PeterPan8

I know it's not a recent post, but I just wanted to add that the flatwound guitar medium strings are the best buy I did for my Godin TriplePlay.

The fidea came from Elantric, and I want to thank him for that.... among other things! ;D

I have eliminated (almost) all artefact sounds when playing. The "almost" artefacts come from sloppy fingerpicking. I really have to think when I play to make sure I have the correct position, if not my TP will remind me!

I play mostly classical music, and it's hard to achieve perfection, but the mix of violins, piano and voices over some pieces is simply amazing!

jm345

Quote from: Elantric on January 16, 2014, 05:18:54 PM
Yes - I do think String gauge and type make a difference.

I have good results with Fender Bullets .010-.52 - as these are a polished round wound with less overtones and less fretting hand finger noise. 

GHS "Gus" Strings are also "Polished Round Wound, with less noise, less fret buzz.

Elantric, are you still using the Fender Bullets? Are these the Super 250?

Elantric

jm345

Thanks Elantric. I just ordered the ball end Super 250RH to put on a guitar with a bigsby. The RH set is close to what I prefer but I may have to replace the G with a 19 or 20 ga to counter my heavy grip.