Digitech Whammy pitch shift

Started by blave, January 07, 2009, 07:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blave

I have recently grown enamoured with Dave Gilmour's use of the Whammy pedal (e.g. in his song "The Blue" from the On An Island album), and set up a patch in the VG-99 that uses the Pedal Bend effect in an effort to emulate that. (I tried the Pitch Shift effect and that was a non-starter - very "artificial" when raised up an octave.) As far as I can tell, the VG cannot do continuous pitch shifts controlled by the FC300's rocker pedals without having a "stepped" characteristic - in other words, as I rock the pedal forward I can hear the (for instance) E-F-F#-G-Ab-A-Bb-B-C-C#-D-Eb-E semitones as it goes up, rather than the totally smooth "pitch up" that the Whammy pedal can do.

Two questions -

- is this just the way it is, and if so,
- is this something that I should add to the "v2.0 wishlist"? i.e. does anyone know if the VG-99 DSP engine is even capable of this?

thanks,

Dave B.
San Jose, CA

mykejb

I just set this up on mine and it does a smooth bend. I assigned pedal one on the FC300 to "ALT TUNING : [A]BEND : BEND" and there's no step in the tones. The bend tuning was set to +12 and I get a smooth sweep

Mike

blave

Quote from: mykejb on January 08, 2009, 12:21:02 AM
I just set this up on mine and it does a smooth bend. I assigned pedal one on the FC300 to "ALT TUNING : [A]BEND : BEND" and there's no step in the tones. The bend tuning was set to +12 and I get a smooth sweep

Mike

That was it! It never occurred to me to try the alternate tuning stuff, which I hadn't messed with too much in terms of editing. Duh.

This nails the Whammy vibe perfectly - thanks for your help.

Dave.

Rojoyinc

Sounds neat - care to share the patch in the  Patch library on here?
Ron, GR, MI
Strats (John Mayer & AmDlx Ash) Fretlight
Gibson LP cust
Tayor T5 Koa, Solidbody walnut custom
Alesis DM5, MM6 synth
Line6 UX8, Mesa LonestarSP, Fender Acoustasonic
MicroCube, Fender Champ 600, BR-600, DP-02CF PortaStudio
HarmonyMan, VocalistLive4, CuBase, SECURITY SYSTEM ;-)

blave

Quote from: Rojoyinc on January 29, 2009, 06:29:06 AM
Sounds neat - care to share the patch in the  Patch library on here?

OK, done.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,1476.0.html

If you give it a try, let me know what you think. I love playing this tune with the Whammy effect! Gilmour uses it differently (and more classily) than other players I think.

BTW I have both the A and B sides affected by the 1-octave bend. Try playing the clean side with it shifted - it makes some very nice chimey sounds when chords are played. I use this on another tune on the On An Island album, "Smile", to play the Dm-Em7-Fmaj7-G walkup.

cheers,

Dave.