Fishman Triple play vs the rest of the guitar to midi out there

Started by gsilbers, April 08, 2014, 11:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsilbers

Hi all - my first post =)

ive been using a lot of different guitar to midi controllers through the years and now im looking at the FTP.
I play finger picking (classical style) and do music for media (orcestral/a lot of sampling instruments doing chords/stacc/melody with different veolicites etc)

here is my view of what i've had:
====

Roland pickup with GI20 - tracking had a lot of ghost notes/harmincs and editing the midi in the DAW was a hassle. sold it.

yourock guitar gen1 - not too bad but tracking with finger picking was not too nice, needed to really hit the right hand hard even with changing the sensitivity in the software and strings. still have it but trying to sell it.

ztar - interesting enough - its tracking was no better than the yourock guitar. i was amazed on how expensive it is for what it does. sold it.

mustang fender guitar midi - it is currently the one i use. for looking like a toy, its tracking on the right hand has been the best. i dont mind the buttons that much on the left hand , but i feel it could be better...and it looks like  a toy.  ;D

origin jam - not so good as its reviewed. tracking is about like the roland, with a lot of ghost notes and too many anomalies.

=======

one comment from the mod "elantric" seems to say the the tracking of the yourock gen2 guitar is the best but adjusting to the playing technuqe is wierd.

so now i am thinking maybe the yourock guitar gen2 got better than gen1 but i dont want to keep buying stuff i wont find that usefull afterwards. i amalso waiting on the yourock guitar pro which got funded like 2 years ago and still nothing. 

and now we arrive the fishman triple play... if its like the Roland but w/o so many ghost notes and tracking issues i think im sold. i would just hook it up to my variax and have one guitar instead of several midi controlers. is the tracking fine when playing softly with fingers? seems guitar to midi cotrollers/converters are geared to folks with guitar pick. :(

since i play classical, anyone know if godin wil release a nylon multiac with FTP? not sure how the roland 13pin is since those guitars are very expensive and dint have much luch with gk/gi20 in electric.. oh  and i still have my classical... maybe i can mount a FTP? not sure how it will react to nylon strings.

Elantric

Actually the You Rock is only recommended if you can adopt a Chapman Stick two handed tapping playing technique for triggering external MIDI Synths.

If you prefer to play guitar in a traditional manner with left hand vibrato and string bending nothing beats the FTP for triggering external MIDI Synths.

by contrast if you can live with COSM    Synths, then try a Roland VG-8, VG-88, VG-99, Boss GP-10. No MIDI delays, no mis- triggering, zero latency, but restricted to the Roland COSM    Sound pallette of each product mentioned.

since i play classical, anyone know if godin wil release a nylon multiac with FTP?

No word on that yet.

gsilbers

thanks but since i use LASS, Symphobia, omni, albion etc... i think ill pass o the cosm ;)

interesting about using the yrg with the tapping, it was a bit challenging when i tried but like the chapman , seems to be a practice thing.

FTP seems to be a good fit.

ill have to do more reaearch on how to set it out with logic the way i want it to and how to intigrate with midi expression pedal.

sample instrument velocity seems to always be an issue. midi expression might do it on sample instrument that have this feature. >velocity controlled by CC (not volume)

thanks

germanicus

Ive had good success with the FTP, and use several of those same libraries. Having Symphobia/LASS available live at a show is a ton of fun :)

Another option is a non realtime software option, such as Melodyne.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

scratch17

I  had the Axxon MK2, Roland Gr01, and currently own a Gr33.
In my not so humble opinion, FTP blows them all away.

Since you are wanting a guitar to MIDI controller to do synths and samplers,
Why not use FTP on a decent electric guitar? Then the nylon string prohibition with FTP is moot.

I have a Carvin NS-1, which has built in Ghost MIDI capability which I use
To drive my VG-8 and GR33. It tracks great with the VG-8, but the GR33
tracking can't match the FTP.

Steven.
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R