What would you do with this guitar?

Started by GS, January 03, 2017, 12:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GS

Hello,

First thanks to everyone, there is a tremendous amount of knowledge here.

In the search for one guitar that will do it all, I always modded cheaper or newer guitars.  Because hey, you don't drill holes in a '70's Les Paul Custom.  Then I ran across an LP Artist, which already had plenty of switches and routed space to boot.  The existing electronics are noisy, so no loss ripping that stuff out.  Figured I could put midi S1 & S2 on one toggle, midi/mix/mag on another, then maybe coil tap with the third one.  I got it and truly love the feel of this guitar, and just gutted it.

Then I realized I don't really have a plan.  I will at the very least put an internal GK-Kit inside, so that will be one knob and two switches, unless I mount S1 & S2 in the back cover.  Not a terrible option as long as I make a new one and save the stock, I would like to be able to restore everything back to original if I need to sell it.  Turns out Gumbo's Synth-Linx will fit in the existing jack space, so I may also end up putting a strat type 1/4" in the back plate as well.  I did like the original active bass & treble, and like the idea of a low Z output, but it turns out it would be hard to keep just that part of the circuit.  I've been leaning hard toward a two band semi-parametric EQ, but I haven't found one that doesn't need to be built from scratch.

So my only question at this point is, what would you forum members do with all those holes and all that space?  I'm very interested in your ideas.  Here's what you have to work with:

Massive internal space, here are some pictures: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0ewZ2b9D6sxVmd6VG13dEhNeVE
Holes for three pots and three mini toggles
(-OR-)
Four pots and two mini toggles (Gibson used a standard four hole layout, but put a toggle in one of them).
Standard three way pickup selector hole.
JB SH-4 and SH-2n, both four wire.
Roland GK-Kit

Only limitations:
No new holes, must be able to return to original.
Some shallow button-like rear plate mounting could be OK.
Let's pretend for now cost isn't an issue.  It is, but let's pretend.  I already sold two guitars to pay for this one.

Thanks again.

Brak(E)man

I'd def. put a sustainer or sustainiac in there.
When I got my first one, I discovered a new instrument
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

gumbo

...find an internal GK kit fast....  They are discontinued...

Also (unashamed personal promotion) Synth-Linx Jacks require less "hole" in a guitar body ...   ;)

HTH

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Headless68

Sustainer a good option - currently Fernandes FSK kit is on back order (with no scheduled date) - the ones on eBay are over priced &/ or the 101 entry level (for more than the full price of the full blown 401 kit )
Sustainiac stealth kits are available however & have all the options $225 dep on options

GS

Wow, I did not know the GK Kit was discontinued, thanks.  B&K photo showed them for about 229, but not in stock.

I like the sustainer idea a lot, still have an old Sustainiac Model C.  Always wanted to put a Stealth in a lap steel.

admin

CodeSmart

I'm not so sure GK-3 KIT is discontinued.
Thomann i Germany seems to have them back in stock again  :)
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

GS

admin

AFAIK only the internal GK-KIT-BG3 for Bass is rumored to be discontinued, but might just be in between production runs

https://www.roland.com/us/products/gk-kit-bg3/

gumbo

Quote from: admsustainiac on January 03, 2017, 08:11:18 PM
AFAIK only the internal GK-KIT-BG3 for Bass is rumored to be discontinued, but might just be in between production runs

https://www.roland.com/us/products/gk-kit-bg3/

I stand corrected...was not the way that I originally heard it..
Hopefully that IS the case..
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...