the unending quest to get back to square one after a 20 year hiatus.

Started by ron45, December 25, 2016, 08:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron45

I have not had this GR 1 up and running yet. Bought it used,  Can I save the patches and tweeks of the previous owner to a thumb drive? This would give me a place to start from if something goes wrong during the batt. swap. There is also a factory reset at the end of the procedure. So could I maybe ignore the reset procedure until I see if I like the previous owner's taste in synth editing. If our tastes are similar it could save me some time.

I don't think the instructions had the reset as an option. I guess I'm confused, why would I do the reset if I have successfully saved the edits made by the previous owner? It's isn't that I must have his sound edits, but I don't think both states can exist at the same time in the GR1. Both would be available, I think if I have the former state of the sounds on a thumb drive and the option to start clean.

Also I don't have the replacement battery at this time. Wouldn't removing the old one be preferable to having it's demise do some harm to the m.b.?
3 Eastman Archtops, Ibanez PM100, Custom built tweed Princeton 34 watt 12" spkr Roland HPD15  2 Avalon 737sp  8buss 16 track Tascam Mixer  Lexicon PCM91 reverb deity Digital Performer Mac pro, Kurzweil K2500, GR 1 GR 30 GK3 on Eastman 910  64 fender jazz bass bought new  AKG 712  CAD VS2 tube mic

gumtown

Replacing the lithium memory cell battery (usually a CR2032 button cell) will effectively require a factory reset as the change over will cause memory corruption.
It is a good idea to replace the battery as the GR-1 is quite old and so will the battery (typically last up to 20 years).

I am not sure on your procedure to backup the GR-1, as this can only be done with a system exclusive bulk data dump via midi to a software or sequencer, or to an editor program (which would need to be a GR-1 specific one).
You will require a reputable brand USB-midi device adapter (do not get a cheepo eBay type - they corrupt data and don't work).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

aliensporebomb

Yes - definitely proceed carefully here.  We don't know if the presets on the unit you bought are amazing one-copy-only things the previous owner made himself or are just the factory presets. 

The battery going dead wouldn't harm the motherboard but the battery leaking sure would.  Thinking, I'd try to back up the existing data and then replace the battery and then try reloading.

I think...
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

AngeloEvs

There is a Roland memory card that you may find on EBAY but expensive (details in the GR1 user manual).   Also, scroll down this forum to the section for older roland synths and check the threads as there is info there.  I use a freeware sysex loader and perform a bulk dump,  the utility and files are saved onto my laptop via a midiman usb midi device.

The utility can be got at www.llamamusic.com/GR1/.  Useful site for GR1 owners (a link to this site can be found in the GR1 section of this forum).   

You can buy a used GR1 for half the price of a memory card and copy all your patches across to it and keep it as a back up.  I paid £55 for mine .....peanuts really for what I still regard as the best synth roland ever made.

mooncaine

Quote from: AngeloEvs on December 26, 2016, 09:43:14 AMYou can buy a used GR1 for half the price of a memory card and copy all your patches across to it and keep it as a back up.  I paid £55 for mine .....peanuts really for what I still regard as the best synth roland ever made.

I like the way you think! That's a great idea. Course now you'd have 2 old machines that need batteries, so don't wait too long if you go that route.

ron45

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help with this stuff. I probably won't go the sysex route since I may have to find another working GK something or other. There was a GK2a on ebay for 65 bux. Nice price but no possibility of returning it if it doesn't work.

Ron
3 Eastman Archtops, Ibanez PM100, Custom built tweed Princeton 34 watt 12" spkr Roland HPD15  2 Avalon 737sp  8buss 16 track Tascam Mixer  Lexicon PCM91 reverb deity Digital Performer Mac pro, Kurzweil K2500, GR 1 GR 30 GK3 on Eastman 910  64 fender jazz bass bought new  AKG 712  CAD VS2 tube mic

AngeloEvs

You dont need anything other than a usb midi interface and the free utility to back up your GR1 patches.   Once saved onto your PC or laptop you can then upload the data back into the GR1 any time needed - you dont need another GK2.