Fender 5-way switch cutting out

Started by batman, December 11, 2016, 11:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

batman

I'm having major problems with my 5-way switch and can't seem to work out what's going on.  I've replaced the stock switch with a new (quality) one and still have the same issue.  It cuts out on intermittently in the neck position only.  Putting pressure on the switch at 90 degrees to it's axis helps to fix it a bit but it still cuts in and out.  The other positions work fine (although the N+M position becomes neck only when the switch cuts out).
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?  A grounding issue? Wiring?
Here's a quick video of the problem.

AngeloEvs

If this is a new switch with the same problem then either you have another bad switch or, more likely, a possible problem with the switch being under pressure when the scratch plate is screwed down.   I would check the clearance between the switch and the body, particularly if the body cavity is lined with aluminium foil that will most certainly be grounded.

If that checks out then you will have to do some continuity tests with a multimeter to check that the switch blade is making a good contact with the contacts.  Even without a meter, you should see the switch contacts move slightly as the switch blade sldes into them. 

I doubt this is a neck pickup problem but, with the scratchplate removed, gently press on the contacts using something like a matchstick, or biro, with the guitar connected to an amp and tap the pole pieces with the blade of a small screwdriver as you put and release pressure on the switch contacts.