USB Class Compliant MIDI Cables for Mobile devices

Started by Elantric, April 20, 2013, 10:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevesilk51

Quote from: jezebabe on October 05, 2013, 10:30:59 AM

Here's the Amazon UK link for USB adapter that does not work well)

[/quote]

Ok guys, as I've previously mentioned my knowledge of Midi and midi over usb is limited but I have discovered something using the above device that is proving to be partially useful for me, but it may be stating the obvious to those with superior skills in these areas.  I also realise that Gumtown does not recommend these particular midi-usb cables, but seems to work well for me, atm.

At this point it may be useful to describe my hardware/software scenario:

Katana 100 1x12
RFX Midibuddy controller
The Chord Midi to USB cable mentioned above.(also have a Midisport 2 into 4 that would probably work too.)

Katana Patch Loader
Katana FXFloorboard

Ok, now I've found that if I use the Katana Patch Loader with the MidiBuddy controller and the Chord cable I can change patches fine.

Out of interest I also ran the Katana FxFloorboard at the same time.

When I change patches nothing visually happens on the GUI of FxFloorboard but I can manually control the loaded patch using FxFloorboard.

The upshot  for me is, although probably not that great a deal for many of you, I can sort of manipulate the patches loaded using my midi foot controller in FxFloorboard. (Obviously all done sitting at my PC)

I'm sure Colin (Gumtown) knows this already but it got me thinking : is this too far away from being able to select the midi IN in the FxFloorboard to a foot controller of our choice(instead of Katana IN, Katana OUT), or am I way off with my hopes  :-\,  OR, have I missed a reason why this cannot happen in an earlier post?

EDIT: Sorry admin, although I do mention the "Chord" Cable working well for me, this would possibly be best moved to the Katana FxFloorboard and/ or Katana Patch loader thread(s)

gumtown

A few ideas are 'up in the air' at the moment with both FxFloorBoard and PatchLoader.
Currently working on adding assigns to both, 8 global and 8 patch, giving at total of 16 to use at once.

FxFloorBoard needs a full duplex connection with the Katana to read patch and system data from the Katana,
and to send patch and parameter data to the Katana.
The editor does not auto update the GUI from Katana changes, data has to be requested by the editor to the Katana.

An idea for FxFloorboard is to have a second midi input device, such as a foot controller, to enable cc# control and patch change, using these pending assigns.

Those cheap USB-Midi devices are capable of sending data (most of the time), but have problems receiving data any thing larger than a simple program change or cc#.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stevesilk51

Quote from: gumtown on June 05, 2017, 03:50:34 AM
A few ideas are 'up in the air' at the moment with both FxFloorBoard and PatchLoader.
Currently working on adding assigns to both, 8 global and 8 patch, giving at total of 16 to use at once.

FxFloorBoard needs a full duplex connection with the Katana to read patch and system data from the Katana,
and to send patch and parameter data to the Katana.
The editor does not auto update the GUI from Katana changes, data has to be requested by the editor to the Katana.

An idea for FxFloorboard is to have a second midi input device, such as a foot controller, to enable cc# control and patch change, using these pending assigns.

Those cheap USB-Midi devices are capable of sending data (most of the time), but have problems receiving data any thing larger than a simple program change or cc#.

Thanks for the quick reply Colin.

Know you are working on assigns, appreciated, thanks.

And have tried my MidiSport 2x4 which also works well and I agree it will be the best option

Steve

admin

WARNING: Do not buy cheap noname USB<->MIDI interfaces !!!! They did not work (it is a lottery) with SYSEX messages and this editor use a lot of sysex messages. Logilink adapters are not working.

Interfaces that will work with sysex messages:
M-Audio Uno
M-Audio Profire 2626
M-Audio MIDISPORT UNO
M-Audio MIDISport 2X2 USB Bundle
Yamaha UX 16 USB/MIDI interface
Roland Um-One
ESI Midimate EX
ESI Midimate II
AVID/M-Audio Fast Track Pro (latest drivers from AVID)
Motu 823 mk3
Miditech MIDIface 4x4
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2gen
RME FireFace UC

Interfaces that will not work:
LogiLink® Adapter USB to Midi In-Out
Proster 6Ft 2M USB to MIDI Interface Cable Adapter

vtgearhead

admin

Quote from: vtgearhead on April 28, 2018, 07:33:28 AM
Should add M-Audio MIDISport 1X1

What generation?

FWIW - I have good result with this - (got it for my Line-6 Vetta in 2005 to apply the Armand Cab updates)

vtgearhead

Didn't know it was a generational thing!  The one I have looks just like your photo.  Works on absolutely anything and everything.

JazzGuiutarGimp

Ha! I figured it out. I forgot I also have a Win 10 VM set up on my machine (i know, I know, but you gotta understand, I rarely use it!). Set up the MIDX-20 PC app on Win 10 and everything worked out great....

Hi All,

I am still using the MeritLine interface I bought years ago. Question: Should I expect this interface to work with Windows XP Pro, SP3 without having to install a driver? I am trying to run the MIDX-20 setup app. The setup app seems to run fine on XP (well, in offline mode). When I try to connect to the interface (using the MPU-401 selection in the drop down menus for MIDI In and MIDI Out), the app hangs, and I have to force-restart. BTW, I am running XP as a virtual machine on an old Mac Pro using VMWare Fusion.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lou

admin

MeritLine USB MIDI Interface Link Cable Adapter for Music Keyboard  SKU:  0009966-001
http://www.amazon.com/AudioLink-Music-Keyboard-MIDI--Converter/dp/B00LE7SLPY/ref=sr_1_131?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1452559133&sr=1-131

http://www.meritline.com/usb-midi-interface-link-cable-adapter---p-85182.aspx

USB MIDI Interface Link Cable Adapter for Music Keyboard

Description:

100% brand new and high quality!
The USB MIDI cable makes it easy to connect any MIDI instrument to your PC and Mac via USB
Latest version with a built-in driver.
USB powered and class compliant for true plug and play just connect to a computer USB socket for automatic installation of the driver.
1 in + 1 out MIDI interface, 16 MIDI input channels and 16 MIDI output channels.
LED indicate MIDI in signal and MIDI out signal.
Compatible with Windows 98 SE/2000/XP/VISTA/Win7 Mac OS X10.1 or later.
Cable length: 5 Feet/ 1.5M
Package Includes: 1x USB MIDI Interface Link Cable Adapter for Music Keyboard

This is a USB Class Compliant MIDI Interface, and works with all operating systems that support USB Class devices. No Driver required.
My $14 USB to MIDI I/O Cable from Meritline.com works with iPad Mini + Apple Lightning USB Camera Adapter.

These quality USB to MIDI I/O cable adapters are now available again  - many rebranded

this version  - $17 WERSI  is working well on Windows 7 and Mac and iPad with CCK

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTJXFLT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JoBoss

Can this be used as a substitute for the Roland MIDI cable (UM-ONE-MK2)? Would it work as well ?

admin

Quote from: JoBoss on November 02, 2018, 01:31:36 PM
Can this be used as a substitute for the Roland MIDI cable (UM-ONE-MK2)? Would it work as well ?

Yes - This former MeritLine  - now Wersi UM-18 USB <> MIDI cable  works just as well as the Roland UM-ONE MKII for me (iPad, Android, Win, Mac)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTJXFLT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
WERSI is a big name in Europe (they do not tolerate junk)
http://wersimusic.com/

http://wersimusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Sept-18-specials-2.pdf

Here is the OEM

http://www.everlin.com/product/showproduct.php?lang=en&id=39

USB MIDI Cable Converter PC to Music Keyboard Adapter

The USB MIDI Cable makes it easy to connect any MIDI instrument to your Mac or PC via USB.

The WERSI Series USB cable receives and outputs MIDI signal thanks to its internal interface. The USB-MIDI Cable connects plug-and-play to your Mac or PC for an all-in-one USB-MIDI solution.

Features:

Control virtually any MIDI-compliant software

Turn any device with MIDI output into a USB-MIDI controller

Plug-and-play, class-compliant USB for Mac and PC

6-foot length (1.8 meter)

Compatible with most Mac and Windows class-compliant drivers and software

System Requirements:

Mac: OS X 10.1 or later

PC: Windows XP or Vista

USB port

Description :

The USB MIDI cable makes it easy to connect any MIDI instrument to you PC or MAC VIA SUB

Specification:

Latest version with a built-in driver

USB powered and class compliant for true plug & play. Just connect to a computer USB socket for automatic installation of the driver

1 in + 1 out MIDI interface 16 MIDI input channels & 16 MIDI output channels

LED indicate MIDI in signal and MIDI out signal

Supports Windows XP Vista Win 7 and MAC OS X 10.1 or later

Instructions for Use:

1. Connect the cable marked "IN" to the MIDI "OUT" socket of a MIDI keyboard (or MIDI device)

2. Connect the cable marked "OUT" to the MIDI "IN" socket of a MIDI keyboard (of MIDI device)

3. Plug the USB cable into any free USB socket on your computer

4. Open your music software program eg Cubase Sonar MIDI Connections etc.

5. Set the music programs MIDI in and MIDI Out devices to "USB Audio Device"

6. Your USB to MIDI interface is now ready for use

7. To save potential problems it is recommended that this interface is always connected to the same USB as it was originally installed on to prevent multiple installations of the driver

Package Included:

1 x USB MIDI Cable

ATONESIR

Does the WERSI cable also have the optocoupler?

EDIT: I have an "old" Variax 500 and my XT Live floorboard died.  I want a way to upload alternate tunings and models to the guitar. I've since moved on to a Katana amp.

With Katana librarian using sysex to load and control the amp, wouldn't it be neat to have the old XT live functionality of changing tones AND guitar models with each patch?

admin

Wersi cable does have optocoupler

thats why its on this thread

admin

Quote from:  philjynx on September 13, 2019, 04:29:39 PM
Steve, do you know if the wersi generates the MIDI sense signal? For me a drawback of Roland um one is that it does generate that signal which I do not require and the presence of which clutters debugging of MIDI traffic.

My recollection is upon connection to the USB Host , the Wersi USB  to MIDI I/O Adapter  sits idle with no MIDI Traffic
But the Wersi MIDI Output passes the MIDI sense signal generated from third party gear connected to the Wersi MIDI Input

ATONESIR

where's a good source for those midi sockets in the cable enclosures? I'm seeing alot of bare sockets but none that really come in a shroud.

closest I have seen is a Male to 2 Female midi y cable but I dont see how I can make sure everything is doing to be wired up properly in that instance.

admin

Quote from: ATONESIR on September 13, 2019, 07:59:32 PM
where's a good source for those midi sockets in the cable enclosures? I'm seeing alot of bare sockets but none that really come in a shroud.

closest I have seen is a Male to 2 Female midi y cable but I dont see how I can make sure everything is doing to be wired up properly in that instance.

explain?

post a pic?
DIY MIDI/ FX Pedal board sources here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5831.0

ATONESIR

The ben craven DIY variax link shows female midi sockets in plastic enclosures, but all I find when searching for parts are loose ports without any shroud. 

sixeight

ATONESIR

absolutely did and that showme outfit never came up.

thanks for the reply.

admin

FASGEAR USB C MIDI Cable with Type C to USB Adapter,
Fasgear 6ft Type C to In-Out MIDI Cable for Music Keyboard Piano to PC Laptop, MIDI to USB C Interface...
【Easy Connect】5-pin USB C to MIDI devices for MIDI IN & MIDI Out cable with DATA In/Out Indicator. Simply connect a USB C or USB socket to the computer without other driver install. Note: Please plug "IN" port on cable to "Out" interface of MIDI devices, and plug "OUT" port cable to "In" interface of MIDI devices.
【Wide OS Compatibility】Well compatible with most TYPE-C device & OS systems, Win 10/8/7, macOS 10.12+ . With this USB C to USB Adapter, this MIDI cable can also be suitable for most USB port computers or PC. Note: If you want to use on Android phones, please make sure that OTG FUNCTION is available for handset and software supports MIDI.
【LED Indicator】With built-in LED indicator, this MIDI cable adapter can monitor more data status, including MIDI IN, MIDI OUT and USB C connection.
【Strong MIDI Compatibility】6ft midi cable supports all MIDI and large size MIDI devices on the market such as electronic drum, MIDI keyboards, effects, pianos, etc.

Note:
1) The USB C to USB adapter is USB 2.0 device, which doesn't support USB 3.0.
2) Our MIDI cable can't use for the keyboard or device that has only type-B interface.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J6XVWFN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

REVIEWS:
QuoteJust works. Connected to a samick digital piano and my android phone.

I purchased this product to use with my Kurzweil PC88 e-piano and 2020 MacBook Air that only has usb-c ports. It worked and performed as described. It was truly plug and play.

admin

Good Article
https://inmusicbrands.force.com/headrush/s/article/Troubleshooting-Class-Compliant-USB-Devices
Troubleshooting Class Compliant USB Devices
Dec 9, 2020•Knowledge
TitleProvide a short description of the article. The title appears in the article and in search results.
Troubleshooting Class Compliant USB Devices
Overview
Most USB audio and MIDI computer peripherals are "Class Compliant" devices. This means that to communicate with the computer, they use drivers that are built right into the host computer's operating system. These drivers are written by Microsoft (or Apple for Mac OS X), and come pre-installed on all computers. In some cases, these devices may have trouble connecting due to software settings, changes to the operating system, out-of-date system drivers and even hardware problems. This guide discusses some common troubleshooting steps to determine the cause of these issues and provide some potential solutions.
Contents
What does 'Class Compliant' mean?
Potential Symptoms and Potential Causes
Quick Test
Windows
Mac OS X
Further Troubleshooting
Prescription Resources
Technical Support

What does 'Class Compliant' mean?
A class compliant device is one that does not require extra drivers to connect to your Windows or Mac computer, or to your iPad. Class compliant devices use drivers which are built into the host (i.e. the computer or the iPad) operating system. To find out if your HeadRush USB audio or MIDI device is class compliant, check the HeadRush Support Options page. *Please Note: The HeadRush Pedalboard will not require drivers to transfer IRs and presets to or from your computer, but a driver is necessary for Windows when using the Pedalboard as an audio interface for recording and re-amping purposes.  If you are reviewing this guide because your Pedalboard is not recognized as a USB audio device on your Windows computer, please make sure that you have downloaded and installed the latest driver. Download the driver below:
HeadRush Pedalboard - Windows Driver 1.0.4
Potential Symptoms and Potential Causes
Some typical problems with a class-compliant USB device include:
Device will not power on
Operating system error after the device is plugged in. This is usually only associated with Windows and the error may report something like the "Device/Driver could not be installed," "Driver could not be found," or "USB device not recognized."
Device is not recognized in software
Device is recognized but does not respond
Device connects and works briefly but disconnects
Remember that these devices are built to use drivers that come pre-installed in your operating system. Most potential causes will be because these drivers are not installed, were not updated properly, are in conflict with other devices or drivers,  or have become corrupted. Other potential causes include:
A bad USB cable or port
Poor communication, typically due to the use of a USB hub, long or extended USB cables, or having too many USB devices plugged in.
Missed settings or steps with software or hardware setup
The first steps when you encounter a device not connecting properly should always be to try different USB cables, different USB ports and even a different computer. You will also want to disconnect other USB peripherals and avoid USB hubs (though it's often useful to take note of the response with and without a hub involved). About 95% of these inquiries can be resolved by doing so and can help confirm that the device itself is at least working properly. With this in mind, the following sections will go through some steps to test the response of your device and provide some potential solutions. Back to top
Quick Test
When you're frustrated with not being able to get up and running, or if you're thinking you might have a defective product, this 10-second is-it-broken test can restore the confidence necessary to continue working with the product and to complete any needed software setup or authorization process. An M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 will be used as an example for these tests. Please use any reference to the Keystation Mini 32 as a reference to your own device.
Windows XP to Windows 10
*Please Note: The HeadRush Pedalboard will not require drivers to transfer IRs and presets to or from your computer, but a driver is necessary for Windows when using the Pedalboard as an audio interface for recording and re-amping purposes.  If you are reviewing this guide because your Pedalboard is not recognized as a USB audio device on your Windows computer, please make sure that you have downloaded and installed the latest driver. Download the driver here.
Connect your USB device and open the Device Manager. You can find this in your Control Panel. If sorted by category, click on Hardware and Sound to find the Device Manager.USB Device
Double-click on the Sound, Video and Game Controllers category and you should find your device:USB connectIf your device appears similar to the image above, this will indicate that it's connected and communicating properly. If you are still having trouble with the response from the device, please refer to the Further Troubleshooting section or contact Technical Support for further assistance.
If the product appears with a yellow triangle or other icons next to it, and/or appears in a different category in Device Manager, this may just indicate that the drivers are not installed correctly or are out of date. Remember that these are windows drivers and are not specific to your device. For more information on resolving this, see Step 2 in the Further Troubleshooting section of this guide.USB connecting
If the product does NOT appear according to the tests above, the device may just be labeled differently in the device manager or it may indicate a problem with the device. An easy way to test this is to watch the Device Manager while unplugging the device. If the Device Manager flashes, that will indicate that the computer does see your device and may just be putting it in another category or labeling it something different. Plug the device back in and watch the Device Manager again to see what pops up. That will be your device.Often times the system may label something it doesn't recognize as just "USB Audio Device." This is another indication that drivers may not be installed or updated correctly as discussed in Step 3.If the Device Manager does not flash at all, this means that your product is not recognized by the computer and could indicate a problem with the device. This is a good opportunity to try different USB cables, different ports and confirm with a different computer. If this appears to be the case, contact Technical Support for further assistance.
Mac OS X
Disconnect your USB device, count to 5 and then plug it back in.
In the upper-left of the screen, click the Apple Menu, and select About This Mac.USB about
In the window that appears, click on System Report. A new window will open.USB system
A System Report window will be displayed.  On the left-hand side of the window, under Hardware, select USB.USB USB
On the right, you will see all of your available USB buses and their connected devices. You can expand each bus by clicking on the arrow next to it. If your USB device is connected, you should see it displayed under one of these:USB hardware
If you do not see your device listed here, disconnect it, and select File > Refresh Information. This will make the computer rescan the ports.mac quick test 5
Connect the keyboard to the computer again, and select Refresh Information a second time. Your device should hopefully appear.
If the device does pass the test above and appears in the System Report, it is not defective, and the difficulty is caused by misconfigured software settings or options.  Carefully follow the setup instructions for the software you are using, or navigate to the Further Troubleshooting section for additional tests and troubleshooting. If the device does NOT pass the test above and does NOT appear in the System Report, this may indicate that the device is defective. At this point, you will want to test different USB cables and USB ports. It may also be a good idea to run the same test on a different computer. If you continue to run into trouble, contact our Technical Support team for further assistance. Back to top
Further Troubleshooting
Using a MIDI Monitor to Test Your Device
If your device passes the Quick Test above but you still don't see any response from it (does not show up in your software, will not trigger your virtual instrument, etc.), you can use a MIDI Monitor to confirm if it's still communicating correctly with the computer. If the keyboard or device is responding differently than expected, this can help confirm exactly what data the device is sending to the computer.
USB 3.0 Ports and USB 2.0 Devices
It may be useful to check if your computer has USB 3.0 ports, which can cause problems if not updated correctly. For example, if your device passes the test on one computer and not another, this may be the reason. This guide will walk you through checking your UBS 3.0 ports and chipset drivers.
Mac OS X - Problems With MIDI Devices After an Update
This guide walks through deleting MIDI drivers on a Mac. This may be necessary if issues appear only after updating your operating system or may be useful to determine if a driver was installed correctly or not.
Mac OS X - How to Re-Configure Your MIDI Studio
This guide demonstrates how to create a new configuration for your MIDI setup in Mac OS X. This may be helpful if your device is not recognized by your software and you have recently updated your OS or changed the connected devices.
Prescription Resources
The three resources below are to be considered prescription medicine... only to be used to remedy a specific symptom. These are not general maintenance tools.  It is not recommended that you use these resources unless you are confident you are affected by the specific scenarios that cover them above. Use these files at your own risk.  If you are uncertain whether or how you should use the resources below, contact Technical Support.
Logitech Camera Driver Conflict – If you've ever connected one of these webcams to your Windows PC you'll have trouble using USB audio or MIDI devices. This will typically affect Windows XP and Windows Vista computers. Please download the necessary files and instructions from this link - Logitech Camera Fix (zip)
Missing or corrupted Windows or Mac OS X files – These class-compliant products use drivers built into the Windows and Mac operating systems. If these files are missing or corrupted, the product won't function as expected. Of the potential causes for difficulty described in this article, this is the least likely.  All other potential causes should be ruled out first.  Download the necessary files and instructions here - Win 7, Vista, and XP - USB Audio Codec Drivers (zip)
Computer Peripheral Testing - Ruling out software setup errors versus hardware failure can be difficult.  This archive includes resources and instructions that can be used to test any class-compliant USB Audio or MIDI computer peripheral in about 2 minutes. The guide was developed to shorten evaluation time for repair depots, service centers, and is not intended as a self-support tool for the general public.  Please check with Technical Support to find out if this is necessary before continuing. Download the necessary files and instructions here - Computer Peripheral Testing (zip)
Further Technical Support
It's impossible to cover all of the possibilities of USB troubleshooting in a single guide but this should act as jumping off point. The suggestions above should at least help you quickly determine that a product is functional, and to help you overcome common setup obstacles such as poor USB communication or out-of-date drivers. If you require further assistance with product setup or have determined that the product is NOT functioning correctly, contact the Technical Support team or refer to some of the related articles below:
Contact support