POST your loop songs covers or original HERE?

Started by sean_b, November 15, 2012, 06:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brak(E)man

a live loop original recorded in the studio with lexicon jamman and/or gigadelay DD20 ( can't remember ) and VG8 EX
around 2006

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Threeleggedyoyo

Another song up! Still looks funny embedded... ratio isn't right... anyhow.

Also like me in Facebook if you want to feed my delusions of grandeur. :)

http://www.facebook.com/ScienceGoneWrong?ref=hl

Mrchevy

I like the insertion of statements towards the end. Remember what this is from...." My mother talkin to me try to tell me how to live.... but I don't listen to her cuz my head is like a siv".  8)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Threeleggedyoyo

shawnb

Two more great songs, 3LYY!!!
Great use of the looping capabilities in each.  Nice stacked sax work.
I like "Barely Listening" best.  Bit more of an edge. 
I also like the hint of Dave Edmunds in your vox.   Good stuff!

Are these vids all performed 'live'?
Seems like it.   Great one-man-show, if so.

Shawn
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Threeleggedyoyo

Quote from: shawnb on January 16, 2013, 02:58:30 PM
Two more great songs, 3LYY!!!
Great use of the looping capabilities in each.  Nice stacked sax work.
I like "Barely Listening" best.  Bit more of an edge. 
I also like the hint of Dave Edmunds in your vox.   Good stuff!

Are these vids all performed 'live'?
Seems like it.   Great one-man-show, if so.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn!

Yeah, they're all "live." The outputs are hooked straight into my computer for recording. What you hear is the same signal that would come out of the speakers in the video.

I've done recorded stuff before, but the point of this project is to do songs that I can perform live.

I did cheat slightly in a couple ways on the videos. "Barely Listening" and "Vicious Cycle" both join two takes. In either case either of the takes would have been fine, but it lets me get rid of minor flaws... for example in Vicious Cycle, my singing was a little better on one take, but I played the keyboard part a little differently than I usually do on that one, so I spliced those together.

"Sticking it to the Man" is a single take, but I blended one of my camera's mics during some of the sax work to boost the horn a little, because it was a little too far from the main mic by accident.

But the live experience of any of these songs are exactly what you are seeing, really. There's no post-production beyond what I just mentioned. Even the sound samples are triggered live (I activate them with the Blue JamMan).

Really glad to hear you liked them. That makes me happy. :)

Threeleggedyoyo

geormiet

Here's a cello cover I did of a Hot Chip song.   I'm using a boss RC300 and a DPA condenser mic.   The cello's an acoustic carbon fiber.

Hopkins

shawnb

Cellos are so rich in tone and texture & have such a great range.  Well done. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Tukso

Performing as a one man band, I perform an original song called "My Fallen Angel" then at the 5:50 mark on the video, I cover an old Will Ezell song called Pitchin' Boogie from 1929. The performance is live looped and improv in it's entirety. I use Boss RC-50 and Roland GR-55 to perform.

Tukso

Wildlettuce

davictor

First use of RC-300 with my banjo. For any bluegrass fans (probably not many!) But hey, any creative outlet will do! My cover of Earl Scruggs "Foggy Mountain Breakdown

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC6ENJ7ZY-w&list=UU2XAnc5JAbU9OCe4nPewBUg&index=3

Hopkins

glennfin

I just spent quite a bit of time typing only to have it dissapear.... don't you hate that?  >:(

No video yet but here are four tracks recorded live in the studio with my bandmate Bill smith on exotic acoustic percussion instruments and a Korg wave drum into a jamman looper... I'm playing guitar and chapman stick into a vg99, and flying in strange sound bytes/samples and some synth sounds with a Roland Fantom XR, also playing homemade "springboard" contact mic instrument and something called a "daxophone" played with a violin box, all looping into a pair of Echoplex EDP+'s... all live on the fly.. no overdubs..  ;)

Bottom of the page....

http://www.randomfaktor.com

Hopkins

Quote from: glennfin on November 09, 2014, 05:46:42 PM
I just spent quite a bit of time typing only to have it dissapear.... don't you hate that?  >:(

Yes, with a passion!  The old Opera browser used to do a good job of retaining what had been written in forms when going "back", but the new one is not quite there yet.  It does, however, retain it on open/close of the browser which is quite neat (although I just interrupted your track that was playing when I tested that!  Doh...).

Which brings me onto your music.  It's definitely ambient!  The music I have played has never even approached that territory - you must find yourself in a completely different mindset when producing that kind of music than playing something "rhythm-centric".  Does each piece begin with an objective, e.g. a set of samples with a theme, or is it completely free-form?  It's quite pleasant to allow it to surround me when I'm working.

glennfin

Hi Hopkins.... Thanks for listening!.... not everyone can appreciate this type of music... you can imagine some of the comments I get  ??? . It's all improv, although sometimes we'll start a piece by telling each other "lets make this one wild, or lets make this one slow and more ambient", etc..Not pre-planned at all... free form as you said and would you believe we get gigs playing this stuff??  ;D Really.... and in North Carolina! I know, it's amazing!.. all kidding aside, It's a great feeling when you're performing and someone actually enjoys what you're doing. A CD release is in the works next.  ;)

Quote from: Hopkins on November 10, 2014, 11:49:20 AM
Which brings me onto your music.  It's definitely ambient!  The music I have played has never even approached that territory - you must find yourself in a completely different mindset when producing that kind of music than playing something "rhythm-centric".  Does each piece begin with an objective, e.g. a set of samples with a theme, or is it completely free-form?  It's quite pleasant to allow it to surround me when I'm working.

Hopkins

Quote from: glennfin on November 10, 2014, 02:04:29 PMHi Hopkins.... Thanks for listening!.... not everyone can appreciate this type of music... you can imagine some of the comments I get  ??? . It's all improv, although sometimes we'll start a piece by telling each other "lets make this one wild, or lets make this one slow and more ambient", etc..Not pre-planned at all... free form as you said and would you believe we get gigs playing this stuff??  ;D Really.... and in North Carolina! I know, it's amazing!.. all kidding aside, It's a great feeling when you're performing and someone actually enjoys what you're doing. A CD release is in the works next.  ;)

Good luck with the CD!  Will it be a compilation of your favourite public performances, or will you set out to record some mildly themed pieces in the studio?

glennfin

We have a two night gig coming up in January at the "Fringe Festival". I'll attempt a live recording there plus we're going back into the studio early spring to record additional pieces. We have enough right now for a CD but we want the music on the CD to be more varied than it is right now.... more wild and crazy stuff in addition to the slow meditative stuff.

My bandmate has been doing solo "gong meditation" sessions at yoga centers for years now and Random Faktor 2 is a combination of his work/experience and my progressive influences and background.
I'm sure live gigs will not be regular as say with a "classic rock" band but we're doing what we enjoy and that's the main thing.  :D

Quote from: Hopkins on November 11, 2014, 01:31:46 AM
Good luck with the CD!  Will it be a compilation of your favourite public performances, or will you set out to record some mildly themed pieces in the studio?

Hopkins

"Gong meditation" - that sounds as bizarre as "alarm clock sleeping"!  Incidentally, in the picture on your website, are his gongs adorned with patterns based on the Mandelbrot set?  I cannot quite make it out.

glennfin

I know what you mean... when we hear the word "gong" we probably all think of a loud SMASH sound, like the beginning of "Birds Of Fire" but he plays them very quietly.. (at least for his yoga solo work),,, I'm always encouraging him to "give that thing a smash" when we're playing  :o . Besides what you see in the photo, he has a massive collection of percussion instruments from around the world, singing bowls, rim drums, odd cymbals, bells, etc.. he even has a collection of old wrenches that are marked in pitch/key that he lays on a piece of foam and plays with a mallet....some pretty wild and unusual sounds are produced when we play.

I don't know about the patterns on those gongs... I'll ask him about that.

Quote from: Hopkins on November 11, 2014, 05:24:37 AM
"Gong meditation" - that sounds as bizarre as "alarm clock sleeping"!  Incidentally, in the picture on your website, are his gongs adorned with patterns based on the Mandelbrot set?  I cannot quite make it out.

Hurricane

Quote from: geormiet on December 16, 2013, 03:43:33 AM
Here's a cello cover I did of a Hot Chip song.   I'm using a boss RC300 and a DPA condenser mic.   The cello's an acoustic carbon fiber.

Outstandingly great , my sincere respect .

EZ
HR

Hurricane

;D

Quote from: davictor on July 22, 2014, 09:58:04 PM
First use of RC-300 with my banjo. For any bluegrass fans (probably not many!) But hey, any creative outlet will do! My cover of Earl Scruggs "Foggy Mountain Breakdown

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC6ENJ7ZY-w&list=UU2XAnc5JAbU9OCe4nPewBUg&index=3

8)

Was watching Turner Classic Movies when Bonnie & Clyde popped up and Foggy Mountain Break Down
was playing and, then came into the forum just cuzin and thought , wow I'll listen to your version -

You kicked my @$$ man , wow that was really done right ! 

EZ :

HR

;D

Hurricane

8)

Quote from: Tukso on January 08, 2014, 12:11:42 PM
Performing as a one man band, I perform an original song called "My Fallen Angel" then at the 5:50 mark on the video, I cover an old Will Ezell song called Pitchin' Boogie from 1929. The performance is live looped and improv in it's entirety. I use Boss RC-50 and Roland GR-55 to perform.

;D

My respect man , really good stuff , I'll be checking your other videos out too thanks .

HR

EZ :

:)