RC-300 Feature Requests

Started by Hopkins, May 20, 2012, 05:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopkins

RC-300 Feature Requests

There have been many suggestions for improvements to the RC-300.  Hopefully BOSS will continue to develop the RC-300 over its lifetime, in which case a concise list of improvements popping up at the top of a Google search might be useful!  I will edit this top post in light of future discussions, but if I disappear for some reason then any mods/admins who feel so inclined are more than welcome to jump in.  For further suggestions, reply to this thread and I will add them to the list.  I should also mention that credit to many of these suggestions belongs to those who have posted in other recent looper threads!

Note: I have labelled each suggestion in bold and, where possible, tried to come up a potential menu item name.  Hopefully this helps to clarify the intention.  I have also mentioned where other loopers can already behave as described - presumably BOSS will have extra incentive to plug these holes!

Bugs/Unexpected Behaviour

Two Tracks Synchronised, One Track Floating.  As described here, it seems to be impossible to have two tracks which are synchronised (i.e. with Loop Sync turned on and whose lengths are "quantised") and to use the third, unsynchronised track of any length, unless this third track is recorded first.  Note that version "RC-300_e03_W.pdf" of the manual included changes to clarify the existing behaviour (the box-out at the bottom of page 16), apparently in response to the tech support calls documented in the other thread.  Not exactly a fix, but worth mentioning.

Control Assignments

Rec/Dub Assignment.  The facility to assign Record/Dub for a specific track or for the current track.  At the moment recording and dubbing can only be triggered by one of the main loop buttons.

Direct Dub Assignment.  The facility to begin playback of an existing track and immediately begin overdubbing.

Input Pan and Input Output Pan  The facility to pan the input signal pre-recording, and the facility to pan the output of the input signal regardless of the input pan.

Phrase Memory Write Assignment.  The facility to assign a Phrase Memory Write action to a control source.  Apparently available on the RC-50, this is not possible with the RC-300.

More control assignments.  The maximum number of custom control assignments is currently 8.  With four external footswitches and the ability to overload the built-in switches, it is easy to require more assignments!

Sys:REC Pdl Act Assignment  The facility to change the REC -> Overdub and REC -> Play setting by an assignment.

All Pedals Assignable  Allow all pedals to be fully reconfigurable.

MIDI Control

Memory:MIDI Start COUNT/REC-PLAY.  At the moment the MIDI start message is only triggered when a loop begins to play or record.  If would be very useful to have the option to send a MIDI start at the beginning of the count in, if either Rhythm:Rec Count or Rhythm:PlayCount is set to 1MEAS.

Memory:MIDI Stop END/NEVER.  Currently, a MIDI stop message is sent when the last track is stopped.  It would be useful to turn off this behaviour.  In this case, perhaps holding "All Start/Stop" for 2 seconds could be hard wired to send an emergency MIDI stop.

MIDI Start/Stop Control.  Currently, only MIDI "control" messages can be assigned to switches.  It would be useful to be able to bind MIDI start and stop messages to pedals directly.

MIDI Tempo Slave.  The facility to control the tempo of the RC-300 by an external MIDI device.

MIDI Program Change Input Assignent.  At the moment, program change messages change Phrase Memories on the RC-300.  It would be much better to be able to assign these messages to specific actions, like the CC messages.

MIDI In/Out/Through Control  The facility to specify exactly what goes from the MIDI In and from internal sources to both the Out and Through jacks.

Additional Play Modes

Memory:Single Tr Play HYBRID.  Tracks 2 and 3 behave as in Memory:Single Tr Play ON, but Track 1 can loop in parallel to both of these tracks.  (Boomerang III can do this.)  Note that when two tracks have already been recorded in parallel mode (i.e. with Single Tr Play OFF), it is possible to assign an external foot switch to toggle between these two tracks (you make two assignments - Play/Stop for each of the tracks to the one switch).  In some cases this may be a convenient work around.

Track1:Loop Padding BLANK/BEGINNING.  When Tempo Sync is switched ON for any track, if an shorter track does not have a number of measures which divides exactly into the longest track, then currently there will be a number of blank measures inserted so that the shorter track always begins at the same time as the longer track.  For example, with a track of 2 measures and one of 5 measures, the two measure track would play twice and then would pause for 1 measure, then both tracks would begin again at the same time.  This new setting would toggle between this behaviour and the option to play the first part of the shorter track instead of leaving a blank before restarting all tracks at the beginning of the longer track.

Track1:Overdub Mode LOOP/EXTEND  With this set to LOOP, the RC-300 behaves as it does now.  With it set to EXTEND, when you enter overdub mode the track will not loop back over itself when you reach the end.  Instead, it will extend the track by adding a copy of the original track onto the end.  For example, you record a two measure track.  You enter overdub mode and record two measures but then keep playing another two measures before hitting rec/dub/play again.  The result is a four measure track containing 2x the first two measure track and the new four measure track on top.

General

Loop Position Visual Feedback.  The only visual feedback you have to your loops is the blinking LED in the Rhythm section, which flashes read at the beginning of a measure and green on the other beats.  If your tracks have different numbers of measures then it can be important to know where in the whole loop you are, as defined by the longest track.  At the very least, this could be solved by displaying, for example, "4/6", which would mean that you are currently in the fourth measure of a six measure loop.  To improve on this, there could be a visual display like the illustrations in the "Track" section of the manual.  It would show 3 horizontal bars, one for each track, split into measures per track, with a moving line showing the current position across all three bars.

Track1:Start Mode IMMEDIATE/FADE IN.  The facility to designate that a track will either start immediately (current behaviour) or fade in.

Memory:All Start/Stop Mode IMMEDIATE/FADE IN/FADE OUT/FADE IN OUT.  The facility to designate whether all tracks should fade in and/or fade out when the All Stop/Start button is pressed.  Currently, this button only allows an immediate start/stop of all tracks.

Memory:Fade In Time.  Assuming that fade in functionality is added, a fade in time will be required!

Track1:Decay.  The RC-300 loops do not decay over successive passes.  Using the existing setting "Memory:Overdub" you can choose "OVERDUB" or "REPLACE" for all tracks in a phrase memory.  This setting could be replaced by a track level control to set decay level between 0 and 100, where 0 is equivalent to the current OVERDUB setting and 100 is equivalent to REPLACE, but with all numbers in between defining the rate of decay of a track.  (To clarify: Decay is where the volume of all previous recordings on a track reduces during an overdub.  The Boomerang III has this facility.)  Note Shawn's work around for this: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6845.0

Memory:Rec Pdl Act.  Move the Sys:REC Pdl Act operation (which allows you to designate the Rec/Play button either to Record->Overdub->Play or Record->Play->Overdub) from the System level settings to the Memory level settings.

Minimum Track Length.  The minimum track length is 1.5s.  This is specified in the manual as a limitation, but it would be useful to have this limitation removed or drastically reduced.

Assign Target MEM:Pan.  The facility to bind the expression pedal to control the pan of the total output.

Assign Target INPUT:Pan.  The facility to bind the expression pedal to control the pan of the input.

Time Signature at Phrase Level  At the moment the time signature is set at phrase memory level.  It would be useful to define it at track level - especially in "Single Mode".

Tracks Merge/Copy  It should be possible to copy one track to another and also to merge two tracks into to a single track.

Loop Quantise Point  The facility to specify the beat after which "loop quantise" snaps you to the beginning of the next bar in some modes.  By default, this point seems to be half way through the bar.

Track1:REC Pdl Act  Equivalent to the existing "Sys:REC Pdl Act" but per track instead of a system setting.

Track1:REC Loop End  Similar to the existing "Sys:REC Pdl Act" except defines whether to enter Overdub mode or Play mode when a track of predefined length loops at the end.  Ideally this would be a Per Track setting.

Rhythm Guide

Map Rhythm On/Off.  The facility to map rhythm On/Off to a pedal to allow the rhythm to be started and stopped mid performance.

Rhythm:Persistent ON/OFF  Once the rhythm has been started by the Rhythm On/Off command, the rhythm does not turn off until this command is sent again!  This would allow the user to start and stop all tracks mid song, but keep playing either the audible beat or simply a click track routed to a monitor.  This ties in with "Memory:MIDI Stop END/NEVER", below.

Time Signature 1:1  This would give per beat quantise behaviour.

Tempo Control

Reset tempo.  The facility to return the rhythm tempo to the original value for that Phrase Memory.

Memory:Tap Tempo ON/OFF.  The facility to disable using the Stop buttons as tap tempo, to avoid the (admittedly slim) possibility of changing the tempo accidentally.

Effects

Effect Parameter Control.  At the moment you can assign a control to switch effects on the fly, but you cannot change the parameters of the effects.  This means that you can, for example, change from Delay to Chorus, but you cannot assign a control change the Delay effect (for example to halve the tempo, or to change from mono to stereo).  It would be very useful to bind a control to modify the current effect.

Inputs and Outputs

Input routing to outputs.  The facility to route each of the three inputs to a specific output or outputs.

Mic Bypass  The facility to set the Mic input to bypass the loops completely, instead going directly to an output.  This could be considered to be a special case of the next "Input routing to loops" suggestion.

Input routing to loops.  The facility to route each of the three inputs to a specific loop or loops.  This would allow two musicians to play together through the RC-300 but, at any time, a loop could be "punched in" from either musician independently.  (The forthcoming Pigtronix Infinity looper appears to have the facility to route two inputs to two loops and two outputs independently.)

Note that these input routing issues have been worked around to some extent as explained by Threeleggedyoyo.  By panning different stereo inputs and loops hard left and right, you can effectively route two mono inputs separately.  Since it seems very likely that the RC-300 really only has one stereo input to the looper, despite multiple physical connections, this work around is probably the only solution that we'll see.

Output to Headphones.  At the moment it is only possible to route tracks and the input to the Main and Sub outputs.  The headphones currently mirror the main output but it would be useful to route to the headphones independently, for example in order to monitor the rhythm guide without it being audible on either of the other outputs.

Solved Issues

In an attempt to de-clutter this list, any issues which have been reasonably well worked around will be moved here.

Track1:Loop Sync SNAP.  Behave as with with Track1:Loop Sync OFF, but snap the beginning of this track to the beginning of the nearest measure (or perhaps even the nearest beat) of any other tracks which are playing with either Loop Sync ON or Loop Sync SNAP.  All tracks would loop as soon as they finish without any gaps.  Newsflash: it seems that something similar has been possible all along - solved by Syph who discovered that Loop Sync ON and Tempo Sync OFF does the trick.  This actually differs from the original proposal because each loop will not start from the beginning when you hit start - it will play in a big block determined by the total number of measures required before the beginning of each track is aligned again, but the important part is that loops will be aligned, quantised and will loop immediately regardless of length.

Memory:No of Measures.  Set the total number of measures at the Memory level.  This would allow you to record shorter, syncopated loops in Loop Sync mode.  For example, you could set the total number of measures to 60, and this would allow you to record one loop at 3 measures, one at 4 measures and one at 5 measures, but they would all loop without gaps.  (In this case, the combined pattern would only repeat itself every 60 measures.)  Seems redundant now that the "Track1:Loop Sync SNAP" issue has been solved.

Edit 2012/05/31: Changed title to something a little more descriptive.
Edit 2012/06/02: Added "Track1:Loop Sync ON WITHOUT GAP".
Edit 2012/06/18: Added "Minimum Track Length".
Edit 2012/06/23: Added "MEM:Pan" and "INPUT:Pan" issue.
Edit 2012/07/30: Added "Two Tracks Synchronised, One Track Floating" issue to the new "Bugs/Unexpected Behaviour" section, plus the MIDI Control section.
Edit 2012/08/07: Rephrased "Track1:Loop Sync SNAP" item.
Edit 2012/08/22: Added a link to Shawn's work around IRO the "Track1:Decay" item.
Edit 2012/08/24: "Track1:Loop Sync SNAP" solved!  Made a note against "Memory:Single Tr Play HYBRID".  Also, replaced "Track1:Loop Sync ON WITHOUT GAP" with "Track1:Loop Padding BLANK/BEGINNING" - I think that this would now work well as an independent option given the Loop Sync SNAP revelation.
Edit 2012/08/31: Added further explanation to the "Track1:Loop Sync SNAP" solution.  Struck through the now redundant "Memory:No of Measures" item.  Added a note/work around about input routing to the "Inputs and Outputs" section.
Edit 2012/10/29: Added the "Control Assignments" and "Effects" sections and the "Output to Headphones" item.  "Control Assignments" and "MIDI Control" moved towards the top since these seem to be the most popular requests at the moment.  "Inputs and Outputs" moved towards the bottom since these seem likely to be impossible to fix in software, although they are still perfectly acceptable feature requests.  The section "Solved Issues" has been added at the bottom as a place to move items which have pretty much been worked around or solved.  Added a reference to the manual change in relation to the bug "Two Tracks Synchronised, One Track Floating."
Edit 2012/11/18: Added "Input Pan and Input Output Pan", "Mic Bypass", "Time Signature at Phrase Level", "Time Signature 1:1", "MIDI In/Out/Through Control", "Direct Dub Assignment", "Tracks Merge/Copy", "Loop Quantise Point".  Rephrased "Rec/Dub Assignment".
Edit 2013/02/13: Added "Sys:REC Pdl Act Assignment", "Track1:REC Pdl Act", "Track1:REC Loop End", "Track1:Overdub Mode LOOP/EXTEND"

Hopkins

So did I actually manage to list everything *and* explain it sufficiently?!  I was expecting to have to tweak the list so that it fitted more closely with the expectations of those who originally raised the issues.

andgar

After having used the RC300 for a few weeks, I'm very happy (and will be even more so once I get a midi foot controller), but here are my requests:

- a much shorter minimum loop time (currently 1.5 seconds, whereas my DL4 can have extremely short loop times). I can't really comprehend why a minimum loop time even exists, but I've found this VERY annoying.

- ability to use the on board expression pedal to pan the input. (There is currently a pan effect that can be applied to the input, but it seems like it just oscillates between sides instead of being controllable.) I currently have to plug my mic into a preamp, then into a volume/pan pedal, then into the instrument input of the RC300. It'd be nice to just plug into the mic input of the RC300 and use the EXP pedal to move the input around as I record it to loops.

Hopkins

Hi andgar,

Glad to hear it is mainly all good!  Regarding the 1.5 second thing, yes, that is weird.  I am guessing that it is imposed by the limited tempo settings, but it is definitely something which should be fixed.

Regarding the pan, shawnb pointed out that the "assign" options listed in the manual (p23) are incomplete and posted a complete list here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5240.msg35867#msg35867

Note that "TR1 Pan" is listed.  Sadly I am away for work all week until Friday so I cannot test this myself - perhaps you can report back if that solves your problem?  In the mean time, I will add the 1.5s limitation to the list.

andgar

Thanks Hopkins, I'll test it and see if it works. That said, I had seen it in the assign list and assumed it would only apply to the TR1 output, as opposed to the input. The issue with this is that the entire TR1 will be panned to, say for example, 30 left, whereas if I could pan the input I could have different parts recorded into TR1 panned differently. I'll check and report back.

Hopkins

Ah, yes, you did specifically state "input", sorry.  While there will be an equivalent command for TR2 and TR3, there does not appear (in shawnb's list) to be an input assignment or a "main out" assignment for Pan.  Note that you can assign the expression pedal to multiple parameters so you could make it affect tracks 1, 2 and 3 simultaneously - but this does still not help with the input!

shawnb

Quote from: Hopkins on June 19, 2012, 01:26:03 AMWhile there will be an equivalent command for TR2 and TR3, there does not appear (in shawnb's list) to be an input assignment or a "main out" assignment for Pan. 

Note that TR2 and TR3 have all the same features as TR1, which I tried to summarize with these entries in the list:
   TR2 (same as above, but for track 2)
   TR3 (same as above, but for track 3)

True, I do not see a way to control the pan of the INPUT, which would be one of the MEM settings or the INPUT settings.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

andgar

Yep, tried to get the pan working and failed. Not a major issue, as I can just use an external pan pedal, but would have been nice... Definitely a feature request for me but might not be for anyone else!

Another request (let me know if you'd prefer me to do these very aspirational/optimistic requests outside of this thread): I like that you can assign play/stop for each track to an external pedal, but it'd be cool if you could use the onboard stop for a fade and the assigned external stop as a different type of stop (immediate or end loop). I just can't quite get used to accurately using a double press to stop immediately (I mostly use the fade to stop). It might be fiddly to implement this one...

shawnb

Quote from: andgar on June 19, 2012, 03:41:44 PM
Another request (let me know if you'd prefer me to do these very aspirational/optimistic requests outside of this thread): I like that you can assign play/stop for each track to an external pedal, but it'd be cool if you could use the onboard stop for a fade and the assigned external stop as a different type of stop (immediate or end loop). I just can't quite get used to accurately using a double press to stop immediately (I mostly use the fade to stop). It might be fiddly to implement this one...

I tried to accomplish something similar to what you describe above, but with no success.  I wanted the stop pedal to stop the loop immediately throughout the performance, but trigger a fade out at the end of the performance.  Thinking that I could make the external pedal change the stop mode of a track dynamically, I setup an assign to toggle the stop mode between 'immediate' and 'fade out'. Although the external pedal clearly changed the stop mode as desired, it would not change the behavior if the external pedal was pressed while the track was playing.   The actual stop mode appears to be fixed to whatever it was when playback started...   That stop mode change made during the performance with the external pedal did in fact come into effect upon the NEXT playback, after pressing stop & play again... 

(Hope this description works, it's kinda complicated, & language sometimes fails me...)   

Thus, a legitimate enhancement request would be to have 'stop mode' changes become effective immediately, even while that track is playing.   

The workaround is to toggle the stop mode while the track is NOT playing, of course.   But it might be hard to think that far ahead while playing free & experimenting.   

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

andgar

@shawnb - Yep, I've run into a similar issue with the loop/one shot functionality. There are a few more things like that in the Track settings that I think should update dynamically instead of waiting for the track to be stopped.

Also, I tried last night, and couldn't do an initial recording on a track set to "one shot". Could only record with it set to loop, then stop the track, change to "one shot", then play. Haven't looked through the manual to check that this is proper operation, but seems wrong. (EDIT: this behaviour is consistent with the manual, but I still don't understand why it has to be this way)

Hopkins

I have added the Pan issues.  However, it sounds like you have unearthed some proper bugs (or perhaps "features" if listed in the manual!).  It would be good if we could generalise the problem, e.g. no MEM level changes happen while playback is active.  I really need to get myself an FS-6 so I can help test this - just missed two on eBay because my max bid was too low :P

Pedro Meadows

Any chance we can set up some sort of group email or petition or some way of sending boss this list from a larger group of people together? I feel like there is a better chance they may take it seriously if there are a lot of people. They may not fix all the issues, but at least they would focus on the ones that were easier to fix. My big thing right now is finding a workaround to the input/outputs. Because right now my main output is my guitar amp, and I want to be able to do vocal loops, but can't set my mic to output to my PA without setting my guitar to output to the PA, and I can't record a loop without feedback on my amp otherwise, so it's really limiting what I can do with my pedal.

Hopkins

I have actually been in touch Boss in the UK and the guy I spoke to was helpful.  However, he said that their internal procedure allowed him to send information and requests to the developers in Japan, but it was a one way communication and he said that he would not receive direct feedback.  So I created this thread and sent a link to him, hoping that someone at Boss would consider it useful feedback and use it as a point of reference.  Perhaps a long shot.  The thing that surprised me was just how little discussion about loopers there was on the net - it is clearly still a bit of a niche.  As such, it wouldn't surprise me if Boss did not prioritise developing updates for this product range, and it will make getting any decent petition unlikely.  I think our best chance would be if we could find someone who works for Boss or had some other way of "getting heard".  Is there any such person on these forums?!  Speak now!

As for your input routing requirement, I, too, would love this.  I have a strong feeling, however, that this may be a hardware limitation, i.e. it is hard wired that there is a single input to the tracks, and then they just stuffed is a simple input mixer on the front, primarily to cope with the different input impedances/power requirements of mics/guitars/line levels.  Of all the feature requests above, input routing seems so obvious that I cannot believe they would have omitted it originally if it were possible.

On an related note, I am now awaiting delivery of an FS-5U so soon I will be able to help test which settings can be changed during playback.

Elantric

QuoteThe thing that surprised me was just how little discussion about loopers there was on the net - it is clearly still a bit of a niche.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6403.0

aliensporebomb

The problem with the RC-300 as I see it is that none of the local stores have even had one in to try out yet.  We're still just getting the initial wave of blue GR-55 units in.  We're so behind in the midwest!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

Same here in California

Bulk of the items I want  - I must buy online, because the local stores do not carry too many items they feel are "niche" pieces - like most of the things we talk about here.

My local music store is right around the block, is run by an old school blues guitarist, but he and his staff are also intimidated by new technology they consider "passing fads" - meanwhile they will tie up too much capital with a big inventory of boutique tube amps  - if the local store can not understand what an item does, they are very reluctant to even special order it for me as I wave cash in hand - because they are still too afraid of the risk should I try to return the item, then they figure they will be stuck trying to learn and re-sell the item as a "open box" . So they will tell me to go order it from Sweetwater, (crazy but true)

But I agree - loopers remain a mis-understood market  - despite all the Boss RC Loop competitions and youtube videos 

If I walk in and ask my local store if they have any loopers, they will show me this :

Hopkins

Quote from: Elantric on June 27, 2012, 05:27:00 AM
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6403.0

Thanks!  This is still the best place for discussion about the RC-300 though ;)  The first link (Loopers' Delight) looks like it began as a labour of love but then (like so many things) became updated less and less frequently...  Their hardware list is evidence to this, but it includes an impressive list of older looping devices - I will be checking them out.

I can echo the situation about lack of stock to try.  More and more it seems that the physical shops are only interested in the safer choices: "classics" and cheaper equipment - which is a shame because I rather like supporting local physical shops.  Eventually I found an internet retailer based locally who was happy to let me demo the RC-300.  However, before I could do so I had pretty much come to realise that it was the only option for me, and so instead I just arranged a slightly better price for local collection and took my chances.  Luckily, I am very happy with it!

aliensporebomb

The story of Looper's Delight is a bit of a sad one.  Kim Flint, the guy who ran the site was killed in a bicycle accident some time back.

If any of you are avid cyclists you know about the site Strava (I'm a member myself).  It is a site that lets you use your cellphone GPS as a bike computer and then you can record personal bests and compete against other riders. 

His passing spurred a series of articles:
http://www.berkeleyside.com/2010/06/24/did-attempt-to-set-speed-record-cause-cyclists-death/

And lawsuits:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=8706316

I dedicated my video for Atmos to him:

As an avid cyclist it's kind of a sad situation - whether he was trying to go faster than he should have or whether someone pulled out in front of him and there was no way to stop in time is unknown.  The site is there but kind of dormant since he was what gave that site its energy and vibrance and with his passing it is still around just kind of not nearly as active - the mailing list is still active though.

Hopkins

Blimey, poor guy.  I am also a cyclist and can well understand the attraction of bombing down a hill at speed - although I can't say that I have got anywhere near 50mph!  I can't help but think that arguing about blame, law and intent does nothing apart from aggravate something which can be described so precisely as "an accident".  It seems as though he has left behind a bit of a legacy, which is more than most, and I am looking forward to reading about some of the history of looping courtesy of his site.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Hopkins on June 27, 2012, 01:17:25 PM
Blimey, poor guy.  I am also a cyclist and can well understand the attraction of bombing down a hill at speed - although I can't say that I have got anywhere near 50mph!  I can't help but think that arguing about blame, law and intent does nothing apart from aggravate something which can be described so precisely as "an accident".  It seems as though he has left behind a bit of a legacy, which is more than most, and I am looking forward to reading about some of the history of looping courtesy of his site.

The fastest I did was down a over mile long >5% grade when I was in my twenties and pushed 60 mph.  Now that I'm my forties I try to keep to the low forties, it's just too easy to get scattered all over the pavement if you're not careful.

Yeah, in some ways I think working on the music stuff is safer though I love cycling as a recreational pastime these days.

Elantric

QuoteThe fastest I did was down a over mile long >5% grade when I was in my twenties and pushed 60 mph. 

I was doing 60 downhill rather frequently at age 15, we would pedal 4 hours uphill from Cupertino to Big Basin Redwoods State Park, (up old Highway 9 ) , then camp out for 2 days, then depart down the hill and be home in 45 minutes.  That was in 1969 and no helmets.

But  - yes, it a rather sad story to hear about Kim Flint's passing.

Hopkins

Crikey, you guys are insane :P  I think the most I have hit is 37mph, and my top gear was totally spun out so I couldn't accelerate any more.  Am I right in assuming that the only way to get your speed right up is to find a *very* steep hill?  They just don't exist where I live!

Elantric

Yes - I reached those speeds free wheeling down a Loong steep grade on a 1968 Peugeot PX10 similar to this:

Cost $79 new back then -(I mowed a lot of lawns for 18 months to fund the purchase)

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/bicycles/Peugeot/PX10_history.htm

, I was passing trucks in the slow lane.
Probably illegal today.

Hopkins

Fantastic.  What a beautiful bike!

aliensporebomb

This is what I'm riding since 2003 . . .

It's not a VG/GR product but I like it.