8 strings...fanned frets...splitting signal...help!

Started by Steve B, April 10, 2011, 12:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve B

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and have joined with a very specific question in mind, which I'm going to try and make as clear as possible. Forgive me if I fail! It may not at first appear to have much VG 99 content but I promise it does eventually.

I've been speaking with a builder about having an 8 string guitar built for my solo jazz playing. I have been torn between getting it with an added low A below and high A above mono output (AEADGBEA), or the Charlie hunter style 3 bass strings 5 guitar strings stereo output (EADADGBE). I have been leaning towards the first setup, but as I play a lot in duo settings, having the stereo and extra low end would be useful. Anyway I was speaking with the builder and he mentioned the ghost system for piezo sounds. I did some looking and noticed the hexpander and I got to wondering...

...would it be possible to set up a system with a VG 99, or other device, where if I chose the first option (AEADGBEA and mono), I could pitch shift just the low E down an octave, and then send the Low a and pitch shifted e to a bass amp and have the rest if the strings with the regular magnetic pickup sound sent to a guitar amp? Sortof a compromise, giving me the Charlie hunter-esque option for when I need it.

Also if that is possible, is there a way if doing it with a device other than a VG 99, as to be honest I'm not too bothered about any other modelling bits and bobs, and it's quite an outlay for just using one patch!

Hope that's clear, and I hope you're able to guide me a bit!
Thanks,

Steve

vanceg

First of all: What Luthier are you talking to? I'm working with one here in Seattle who is has a 8 string fanned fret instrument with adjustable output routing almost finished. Is this your instrument?

It's entirely possible to set up a system with either an octaphonic piezo system or custom magnetic pickup that would allow you to dynamically adjust which string went to which output...so you could set the outputs on the fly.

Since the VG-99 only does six string processing, you would likely be setting it up on the top 6 or bottom 6 strings, but you surely could simply leave out the high and low "A" strings and simply process EADGBE through the VG-99.   If you did this, yes, you could indeed pitch shift just the low E down an octave (so your strings would go A E(fourth below the A)DGBEA.  It would be kind of tricky, but yes, I can see a way that you could also route your low A string to the same output as the low E string. 

I do agree, though, if you are ONLY using a VG-99 for pitch shifting one string, that doesn't make much sense to have all that power available to you. Are you sure you aren't interested in the rest of the VG's features?  I might suggest

- Consider having an instrument with octaphonic pickups, three outputs, and a selector for each string. This way you could set up multiple routing options for yourself, with separate outputs for bass and stereo treble strings. You could route the low E string to it's own output sometimes and run that through a pitch shift pedal and then into an amp.

- Use the VG-99 as described

- Consider a VB-99 and place the hexaphonic pickup on the lowest 6 strings.

- Run TWO hexaphonic systems (as we do sometimes on Warr guitars or Sticks) and use BOTH a VG-99 and VB-99 for the ultimate in flexibility.  (there are some SICK layered Charlie Hunter-ish tones that can be created this way). This is an expensive route, however.

Those are my initial thoughts.

Feel free to PM me also, as this sort of issue is what I think about much of the day when designing instruments.

Quote from: Steve B on April 10, 2011, 12:40:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and have joined with a very specific question in mind, which I'm going to try and make as clear as possible. Forgive me if I fail! It may not at first appear to have much VG 99 content but I promise it does eventually.

I've been speaking with a builder about having an 8 string guitar built for my solo jazz playing. I have been torn between getting it with an added low A below and high A above mono output (AEADGBEA), or the Charlie hunter style 3 bass strings 5 guitar strings stereo output (EADADGBE). I have been leaning towards the first setup, but as I play a lot in duo settings, having the stereo and extra low end would be useful. Anyway I was speaking with the builder and he mentioned the ghost system for piezo sounds. I did some looking and noticed the hexpander and I got to wondering...

...would it be possible to set up a system with a VG 99, or other device, where if I chose the first option (AEADGBEA and mono), I could pitch shift just the low E down an octave, and then send the Low a and pitch shifted e to a bass amp and have the rest if the strings with the regular magnetic pickup sound sent to a guitar amp? Sortof a compromise, giving me the Charlie hunter-esque option for when I need it.

Also if that is possible, is there a way if doing it with a device other than a VG 99, as to be honest I'm not too bothered about any other modelling bits and bobs, and it's quite an outlay for just using one patch!

Hope that's clear, and I hope you're able to guide me a bit!
Thanks,

Steve

Brent Flash

Steve B

Wow! Thanks for the quick and detailed reply vanceg, and thanks for the welcome Brent.

I live in the uk, so that guitar isn't mine!

I've got some thinking to do!

vanceg

Quote from: Steve B on April 11, 2011, 10:04:41 AM
Wow! Thanks for the quick and detailed reply vanceg, and thanks for the welcome Brent.

I live in the uk, so that guitar isn't mine!

I've got some thinking to do!

Hit me back with a PM or on this board if you wish. I've been thinking/working/experimenting with various methods of doing multiple output switching for hex pickups quite a bit in the last year and a half...and have also put some serious effort into helping Warr and Stick players make the most out of utilizing the VG-series. Happy to share...