Luthiers take note: Fret King wilkinson auto-tuning bridge has a hex pickup....

Started by dead_lizard, September 06, 2010, 07:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead_lizard

....and just the right amount of space for a GK if that is needed as well/instead. trying to get a price for it, but as far as I know this is the first self-tuning bridge since Gibson and Tronical's expensive and groundbreaking breakthrough. i'm assuming that it's far cheaper, or if not, will eventually open the door for other cheaper derivatives. Makes me want to get back into the guitar-building game for for one last job (again)....

edit: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2641396

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

dead_lizard

A future where a guitar and computer can send data pertaining to the tension of each string in real time both ways is finally something that can be discussed without being laughed out of the room. Don't know how easy it will be to intergrate with the 99, but maybe a Variax or some new brand will emerge that combines the best elements of both products.

edit: just got some info from the company :(

"The Wilkinson ATD HT 440 self-tuning bridge will initially be available only as original equipment fitted to the new Fret-King super-matic guitar.
The bridge will be available on other brands in due course.
In the fullness of time, it is anticipated that an "after-market" version of the bridge will become available.
Not sure which country you are in, but if you let me know, I can hook you up with the Fret-King distributor there, to get a early heads up on the availability of the Fret-King Super-matic.
With regards to other brands, and the "after-market version of the ATD HT400, it's just a case of "watch this space" "

MCK

Not surprising. They'll want to sell as many as possible of the FretKing branded guitars first. Margin will be larger there compared to OEM bridges sold to other manufacturers...

dead_lizard

yes, but at least now we have a race between tronical and wilkinson. competition is a very good thing when something groundbreaking is invented. speeds up the whole process.
it gets to a point where spare parts become more and more available, which is good particularly if you know someone at a music store  ;)

dead_lizard

just went to the tronical website. they've got a self-tuning acoustic coming out soon. wow....another biggie!!!

aliensporebomb

I'm not so keen on self-tuning since I've been tuning guitars for 32 years now and have that process down.

The hex outs in a good instrument with regular out would be a nice thing.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

To me - the whole point of owning a robot self tuning guitar is for playing Slide and dialing up numerous alternative tunings on the fly- with full sustain and no DSP flutter, which is something no DSP based alt tuning guitar (Variax, VG-99)  can replicate.

MCK

Quote from: Elantric on September 08, 2010, 10:41:44 AM
To me - the whole point of owning a robot self tuning guitar is for playing Slide and dialing up numerous alternative tunings on the fly- with full sustain and no DSP flutter, which is something no DSP based alt tuning guitar (Variax, VG-99)  can replicate.

+1

Don't forget the feel of different tunings to the hand. If I'm playing a drop tuning I want to feel the strings like jelly under my hand. Hearing the strings sound at EADGBE tuning while the amplified voice is at the drop tuning is also something that personally bothers me. So yes, physical automated tuning on the fly has a place to some of us and is most appreciated.

dead_lizard

Quote from: aliensporebomb on September 08, 2010, 08:13:57 AM
I'm not so keen on self-tuning since I've been tuning guitars for 32 years now and have that process down.

The hex outs in a good instrument with regular out would be a nice thing.
i think most of us here have that skill down. it's just doing all six strings simultaneously with both hands free that i'm struggling with at the moment ;)

Elantric

As an update, I spoke to Trevor Wilkinson at NAMM regarding the possibility of adding a Roland GK-13 pin hex output option on the Fret King AutoTune guitar.

He told me it "was not in his plans" and would not happen on standard production models anytime time soon.

Selling the AutoTune Bridge "guts" to Luthiers would not happen until 4th quarter 2011, at the earliest.

MCK

Bringing this thread back to life since its almost the 4th quarter 2011 as referred to by Trev. Wonder if they will do it. Has these Super-Matics sold well? I would love to get one of these bridges and integrate into something else...

Elantric

They are at AMS for $1600
Not sure how well they are or aren't selling.

one short user review
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FRE-FBSM-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

MCK

Thanks for that. I was wondering about the bridge only supply. Lets see if that happens.

RogerGLewis

Any more news on this ? Been a while but back on the Hex research trail after a summer messing around with Linux.

RogerGLewis

Any more news on these bridges, Just started surfing looking for info and landed back here?
Seasons Greetings. ;D

Elantric

MCK

When it was released they were hoping to release the bridge as an OEM item later in 2011 but not much came of it. Hope it still happens.

Elantric

QuoteWhen it was released they were hoping to release the bridge as an OEM item later in 2011 but not much came of it. Hope it still happens.

I ask Trevor Wilkinson each year at NAMM if a kit will be sold -  - same response - "no"

Just buy the Fret King AutoTune guitar ".
http://fret-king.com/black-label/super-matic.html#.WH6FXVMrLmE