RC-300 - Drum loop to continue after stopping all loop playbacks

Started by Tonato, November 21, 2017, 02:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonato

Hi guys, been out of the forum for a couple of years. I'd say, been out of doing music for a couple of years, a couple of quite sad and stressful years where work took over my life, but I'm coming back.. :)

So this is the situation...

I am planning in using the RC300 to play a solo set live. To be very specific... I start the recording of a loop on track A, drums begin at the same time.... I finish my loop and play it back while recording a new loop on track 2, drums still playing.... After a while I don't want to continue with those loops, as the song will take a different direction, however I DO want to continue with the drum beat. This means, I am stopping the playback of track A and track B, but I want to continue with the drums... However drums stop when playback stops! and I can't find a way to sort this, I am finding it very annoying, I don't want to bring a drum machine to the venue + the RC300, wanted to keep it simple (and I don't ahve a drum machine)

I've been reading the manual and couldn't find a solution yet.. IS there any?

THANKSSS!!

chrish

If you only need two Loop tracks you could have track 3 pre-recorded with a drum track.

One thing I like to do while recording the RC 300 drums to Audacity, where a wav file is created that can be dropped back into the RC 300, is to switch between drum types while the drum track is playing. That way you can get some variations.

For example if fusion 2 drum sound is being played, I switch between fusion 1, 2 and 3 while the track is being recorded (using the RC memory value knob). Or even throw in a quick bossanova rhythm or go the other Direction with the knob and throw in a Funk 3 rhythm.

Just be sure that the track tempo is the same when you drop the wave file back into the RC 300 from the Audacity recording.

Page 26 of the manual talks about setting rhythm stop to off and it says " the Rhythm will not stop when the first pass of recording ends"

But I haven't used that feature so I don't if that's what you're looking for.

Tonato

Many thanks Chrish,

I thought about that, but then, the lenght of the other loops would be dependent of the lenght of the drum loop isn't it? I don't want to think about that, just want to have a continuous drum beat.....

chrish

Quote from: Tonato on November 21, 2017, 03:17:23 PM
Many thanks Chrish,

I thought about that, but then, the lenght of the other loops would be dependent of the lenght of the drum loop isn't it? I don't want to think about that, just want to have a continuous drum beat.....
you'd have to just turn Loop sync off for each one of the tracks that you want to exceed the length of the Rhythm track.

keep tempo sync turned on.

I also edited my above post and added this while you were writing.

Page 26 of the manual talks about setting rhythm stop to off and it says " the Rhythm will not stop when the first pass of recording ends"

But I haven't used that feature so I don't if that's what you're looking for.

Tonato

Chrish, many thanks!

So, If I'm understanding it right, I can upload a drum beat to let's say track 3 and have it playing all way through the song while using track 1 and track 2 to loop as usual. Track 1 and track 2 in sync with each other but track 3 independent. I'm kind of exhausted to try that today, but will give it a go tomorrow!

Hopefully it will work! Wish boss would have made it easier to keep the beat playing even if the 3 tracks stop playback/recording.

I read page 26 but that refers to the rhythm stopping when recording stops, or to continue while playback, but with both options the rhythm will stop if playback of all of the loops stops.

Many thanks!

Syph

I use a different trick as I want more than 3 available loops, not less, but depending on how you like to work this may work for you.

I typically have a bass line on loop 1, and then an melody/chord progression/ambient noodley thingy on loops 2&3. I have a few FS5's that I use to select different drum patterns, and I turn the machine on/off with my big toe (there is a really good reason I play bare footed). As long as I have a loop active the drums will continue.

So I'll typically stop Loops 1 & 2, and have the Loop 3 fade out with a simple hihat pattern on the drum machine. While it fades, I'll delete Loop 1. I'll then hit record on Loop 1 while I play something or other and meantime clear loops 2 and 3. Then when I'm ready to record a loop to start the next thing, I'll hit stop on beat 2 or 3 and then start recording into loop 3. Loop 1 won't stop recording till the end of the bar, but then it will STOP, not PLAY. Meanwhile, Loop 3 can't start recording until the start of the bar, so pressing the button early isn't a worry. Whilst recording Loop 3, you have plenty of time to delete Loop 1, leaving you with Loop 3 in progress and ready to make the thing!

The only down side I see to this is you can't hard stop all 3 loops at once, but I never really want to do that anyway. I like having a bit of ambience behind everything that can keep on noodling away....

chrish

I just found on page 26 in the manual a feature called 'rhythm stop'.

If you turn Rhythm stop to off, the manual states that the "Rhythm will not stop when the first pass of recording ends".