VG99 or VB99 with six string bass and GK3?

Started by pasha811, November 17, 2017, 01:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

Yesterday I attended the Yellow Jackets concert @ Blue Note - Milan
The incredible bass player Dane Alderson was using a 6 string Bass Guitar with an hard to miss (VG99 or VB99) on stage. During the show he provided a synth solo. I was not aware of GK3 with 6 string Bass guitars. Due to lights on stage I could not tell from the distance if  VG99 or VB99 was used. The silver bright color would lead me to say VG99 but usage with Bass.. misleading. What do you think?

Thanks
Pasha
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

bassman4d521

GK3B - I've got it on a few 6 string basses.  I use it with a VB99 and GR55.  I've never tried my VG99 with it - I should do that this weekend!

chrish

Quote from: bassman4d521 on November 17, 2017, 09:54:17 AM
GK3B - I've got it on a few 6 string basses.  I use it with a VB99 and GR55.  I've never tried my VG99 with it - I should do that this weekend!
I'd be interested to know how VG 99 responds to the GK 3B. Be great if you could post your results.

admin

Quote from: chrish on November 17, 2017, 10:07:24 AM
I'd be interested to know how VG 99 responds to the GK 3B. Be great if you could post your results.

The VG-99 has a brickwall filter that restricts the available pitch ranges when used with a standard Bass

Lower notes will not trigger

bassman4d521

hmmmm - maybe some piccolo strings on a 4 string?

chrish

Quote from: admsustainiac on November 17, 2017, 10:09:19 AM
The VG-99 has a brickwall filter that restricts the available pitch ranges when used with a standard Bass

Lower notes will not trigger
that's interesting. I wonder if that was a marketing plan to sell the VB-99s instead of adding a input filter selector switch to the VG-99.

Or is the motherboard different other than the filter

admin

There are analog input filter differences, but its mostly DSP code optimization, ( holds true for VG-88 vs VBass, or VG-88 vs VB-99)

a universal analog design can exist ( GR-55)

Explains why on GR-55 you must "reboot" into either Guitar MODE or Bass Mode  - both do not co-exist 

bassman4d521

I have a GNX3 which is convertible to a BNX3 by loading the correct software.

vanceg

VG-99 won't track pitch below 3 half steps below normal guitar tuning.  AND there is a high pass filter (Significantly below that pitch, though).  I'd absolutely not recommend using a VG-99 with six string bass.  Even my 6 string that was just tuned an octave below a guitar didn't do well on the VG-99.  But, you CAN get some really cool sounds... but don't expect anything that relies on pitch tracking to work well.

pasha811

Quote from: vanceg on November 17, 2017, 10:30:36 PM
VG-99 won't track pitch below 3 half steps below normal guitar tuning.  AND there is a high pass filter (Significantly below that pitch, though).  I'd absolutely not recommend using a VG-99 with six string bass.  Even my 6 string that was just tuned an octave below a guitar didn't do well on the VG-99.  But, you CAN get some really cool sounds... but don't expect anything that relies on pitch tracking to work well.

Then it should have been a VB99. It should have Synth sounds as well right? In the solo he was using only the high frets and higher strings, much a like a guitar but with a 'tone' on its own.

vanceg

Well, the VB-99 is not sliver...so it could have been a VG-99.  If the player wasn't using any intelligent pitch shifting or any synth sounds or any pitch to MIDI, then it should work just fine.  I had VERY good results using a VG-99 with 6 string bass when I didn't use any features that used pitch tracking. OR, I had the same level of very good results when I DID use pitch tracking features, and I simply did not play any notes on any string that were lower than -3 half steps below a normally tuned guitar. My six string bass was tuned just an octave below a guitar, so if i stayed at the 9th fret or above on every string, then i was able to successfully use any feature of the VG-99 with my 6 string bass. 

Note that when I say "very good results" I mean that I was able to get some interesting and useful sounds out of the rig.  I am NOT saying that COSM modeling will sound as "accurate" using the VG-99 with a 6 string bass.  But... I'd think that any player that is mixing these technologies is likely looking for an interesting and unique sound, and not trying to simply emulate some rig exactly.

So, that's my thought and guess about what this player was doing.

pasha811

Quote from: vanceg on November 18, 2017, 10:00:24 PM
Well, the VB-99 is not sliver...so it could have been a VG-99.  If the player wasn't using any intelligent pitch shifting or any synth sounds or any pitch to MIDI, then it should work just fine.  I had VERY good results using a VG-99 with 6 string bass when I didn't use any features that used pitch tracking. OR, I had the same level of very good results when I DID use pitch tracking features, and I simply did not play any notes on any string that were lower than -3 half steps below a normally tuned guitar. My six string bass was tuned just an octave below a guitar, so if i stayed at the 9th fret or above on every string, then i was able to successfully use any feature of the VG-99 with my 6 string bass. 

Note that when I say "very good results" I mean that I was able to get some interesting and useful sounds out of the rig.  I am NOT saying that COSM modeling will sound as "accurate" using the VG-99 with a 6 string bass.  But... I'd think that any player that is mixing these technologies is likely looking for an interesting and unique sound, and not trying to simply emulate some rig exactly.

So, that's my thought and guess about what this player was doing.

Yes it has to be a VG99. Silver under the stage light must have been it!. The sound was a full bass in a 4 cone cabinet trough an amp head (very small) on top of it. Synth solo was on the upper registries. I am pretty sure he was not using any modeled sound at this point because a natural bass would have sound better than the modeled VG99 anyway.