GKP-1 Breakout Box is amazing

Started by fuzzfactory, September 22, 2017, 08:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzfactory

IMHO if you have a 13 pin guitar and a Roland device you need this box!!!!
I just started using it on an new track and for real .....WTF.....
my mind doesn't get blown away to often these days but what this little box opens is scary in a good way!!!!!!!

TRUST ME bill has it going on!
also the costumer service is top notch!!

i will share new patches soon!

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

aliensporebomb

Any demos Forrest?  I want to hear what you're up to!  You sent me the link and it sure looks interesting and it would be very cool to run both the VG-99 and GP-10 at once (or VG-99 and GR-55 if it comes to that).
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

fuzzfactory

todd i will send you the latest track i am working on soon....
it is a super groovy joint my best friend george and his wife eve wrote.... at the moment i am just gettting the bass together
but man all i can say is WOW.....think "midi" but not....not kidding talk to bill and give him money!!
funny thing is for the rest of this track guitar is gonna all be 50's & 60's national amps...EHX comps, phazers, delays ....old school new school 

in the mean time here is a link to george and eves band

https://byzantinetimemachine.wordpress.com/music/

billbax

Hi Forrest,

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the GKP-1 breakout box.  At around 174 US dollars (current UK exchange rate), it's an ok price to pay entering the magic world of separate strings.  The GP-10 is also very good for recording separate strings and re-amping, although you need a computer to make it happen.  And you cannot re-amp/re-guitar another v-synth, which means VG-99/GR-55 users etc, are left in world of 'play a bit...adjust a bit'.

Basic v-guitar GKP-1 passive breakout box.
Separate strings I/0. Pin-7 normal guitar I/0. Robust die-cast case.

GKP-2 passive breakout box.
Can re-amp two v-synths. GK 'VOLUME' & Patch 'UP/DOWN' on/off function switches. Separate strings I/0. Pin-7 normal guitar I/0. Robust die-cast case. The Gif photo is a custom GKP-2 'live' breakout box, using robust 13-pin chassis sockets and high-visibility silver decals.

One more...the latest GKP-2 variant.

From the upcoming GK3B/GR-55 bass-mode re-amping movie - "Fixing a bass guitar-fill".
Most lead guitarists playing a bass will often face the brunt of humour from bass players - Bill Bax is no exception!  ;D

Cheers,

Bill

www.separate-strings.co.uk

billbax

Hi Everyone,

A buffered pin-7 normal guitar input has been a feature of my GKP1/2 breakout box for a while. Having said that, I have neglected the importance of this nifty little input.

The circuit is simple, and should take no more than a couple of hours to build. Part costs are about £2.00 GBP, assuming you are already bulk-stocked with components. For those interested in the GR-55 pin-7 normal guitar insert project, interfacing a pin-7 module is fairly straightforward, with only five connections and four GR-55 ribbon cable conductor split/access points - Ground, +7V, -7V & PIN-7.

Pin-7 normal guitar circuit.

PARTS:

T/S 1/4 inch PCB mount switch jack socket.

TL072 Dual op-amp. A single op-amp package can be used, although a TL071 and other single op-amps often require offset trimming adjustments. Op-amp choice is quite strict, due to the GR-55's maximum supply current of 150mA/100mA +/- regulators, supplying the pin-7 buffer module op-amp. Btw, if you were to use a current hungry op-amp, a GK3 will stop working :( If you want to use a different op-amp, make sure the required operating current supply is very low. Finally, a further circuit enhancement might be to ground unconnected dual op-amp pins, although this is not always necessary. Opinions welcome...

8-PIN DIL Socket.
Allows op-amp swapping.

Low-noise Metal-film 1% 0.6W & 0.3W resistors. Metal-film through-hole resistors generally offer the best audio performance, and provide an easy construction route. Circuit resistors: 100R, 10K & 1M.

2 X 100nF ceramic or boxed capacitors.
Essential for op-amp decoupling +7/-7VDC power-rails. Placing two capacitors as close as possible to the op-amp power supply pins, will help keep power supply ripple and noise to a minimum.

Copper breadboard 43mm X 22mm. If you don't want make a dedicated PCB, a breadboard with copper strips and holes is needed. Copper track cutting is the main nag here, and the necessary wire links further add to the mess. The breadboard circuit will work just the same as a dedicated PCB, though it's not as compact and looks untidy.

GKP-1/2 Normal guitar input.

GKP-1/2 Normal guitar input and dual pin-7 TRS outputs. Pin-7 separate outputs allow GK IN PIN-7 and NORMAL GUITAR IN to be accessed separately.

PCB overlay with components placed together as close as possible.
A tight component layout is important with this type of circuit, as stray noise and hum can easily sneak in. A dual-screened guitar cable is recommended with a buffered normal guitar input.

Pin-7 normal guitar module in a breadboard. Do not separate the PCB T/S 1/4 socket from the board, or you will experience a lot of hum and noise. I used a temporary plugboard in my first pin-7 buffer experiments, and stupid me couldn't find out what causing all the hum and noise ???. Keep the T/S 1/4 socket on the board, and make sure the +input op-amp connection is as short as possible! 

Thanks for viewing,

Bill

www.separate-strings.co.uk